Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Lip Lovers
|

Fear of Bright Lippies

Looking at you Audacious wearers!!  I'm finally getting brave enough to get into wearing brighter lip products.  However, it seems like I cannot stop wondering whether the color is staying put, whether it's creating ring around the lips, etc.  What do you guys do?  Do you check a mirror a lot?  Do you trust your lippie?  Do you always use pencil/primer?

Re: Fear of Bright Lippies

Welcome to the bright lipstick club!!!!!!

Thanks, Loretta!

I haven't personally swatched Vera, but I think she looks lovely on everyone else! A very pretty berry shade. She's on my ever growing list of shades to swatch.

I am pretty pale and have usually focused on my favorite feature which is my eyes.  But I do think it's time to give something else a go.  I can do it!

You totally can!! If I can do it, anyone can! Be sure to share with us a photo if you take one!  My avatar is a photo of me wearing Bette that my husband took.

A brighter or bolder color can definitely require a bit more maintenance unless you're using a stain/long-wear color that stays put. To ensure the best wear of any lip color/product, always make sure lips are properly cared for and prepped. Whether it's a natural shade, a shimmery gloss, a bold pink, or a matte red, if lips aren't smoothed and well conditioned, nothing will look or wear quite right. Keep lips on a regular routine of lip balm or some sort of conditioning source, especially with it being the colder season, cold air and even venturing from the heated indoors to the cooler outdoors can zap skin and lips of moisture. Try to exfoliate lips (this topic has been covered many times in BT, here's a thread that has a ton of inexpensive DIY options and a link to a thread with actual scrubs: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/How-best-to-exfoliate/m-p/1772652#M11974) to help the texture of lips along should the surface layers become a bit chapped. Avoid harsh exfoliation if lips are severely cracked, bleeding, or raw. Always follow up exfoliation with a conditioning source or lip balm to ensure newly exposed skin on lips is well-protected.

As for moving toward maintaining color, lip pencils and primers can certainly help, especially with brights, but consider how often you're to sport the shade at hand. For example, if you've purchased a shocking magenta but aren't really looking to make it your new go-to or a staple shade, there's no requirement to get a matching lip liner right out the gate. Instead, try a clear lip liner/primer pencil (Urban Decay, OCC, MUFE, Sephora, No Cosmetics, Bite Beauty, etc.) which is a great universal tool that can be used with any shade of lip product. Having a neutral lip liner can work in a similar sense too and allow you to fill in to even the color of your natural lips (even top that off with some balm or gloss for a very low-key look, brands such as MUFE, Sephora, Urban Decay, and Smashbox makes some great neutrals). If you do have a lip liner in the shade of your lip color of choice, don't just line, fill in. This way you're giving the lipstick/lip color something more to "grab" onto and "stick" to rather than just bare lips to help extend its staying power.  

Try to also "stain" your lips if needed by pressing and dabbing color onto lips with your finger tip or applying product and blotting with a tissue and add more product. With the dabbing process and the application/blotting process you're building up layers of color slowly, but also allow the pigment itself to really saturate lips while absorbing the moisture element from the lip product so lips aren't just slick from the get go. This is a great way to create a "just bitten" or flushed look to lips and a wonderful way to begin wearing bolder or brighter colors without having them at full opacity. 

If you like to top off bold colors with gloss, be careful as to not to overapply. Gloss or "wet" products can cause lipsticks or lip colors to run or bleed outside the natural lip line, creating a mess, so try to dab just a bit of gloss in the center of the lips to keep it more controlled and away from the entire edge of the mouth. Adding gloss in just the center can also play up fullness of the shape of your lips.

The ring that can form on the inner portion of the mouth/lips may be due to lips becoming dry and the moisture pulling from a lip product so again, be sure lips are well hydrated and cared for prior to applying a lip color. Also, avoid overloading lips with color as too much can make lips feel gummy or thick.

Wow - thanks!  I am a big fan of Rosebud Salve - have been for years.  I never leave the house without it in the AM.  I have been using Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment at night lately, but have always put something on before bed.  I wouldn't say my lips are chapped at all, so maybe I just need to invest in a good universal liner. 

Try a creamy formula that's soft to apply to avoid tugging on lips or creating too harsh of a line (even use a smudge brush or q-tip to soften the line some if needed), and the brands covered above have great formulas to check into.

Good advice. I haven't tried the staining/dabbing/reapplying approach (yet).

Thanks, DiVWA! The staining/dabbing/blotting technique is a very controlled way to build up on color to help ease into a shade rather than just jump off into the deep end! Smiley Very Happy

30 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 55 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos1
  • liner-swatches - Copy.jpg