Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Dry lips need help

This summer my lips have been dry and chapped. Any product recommendations?

Re: Dry lips need help

Many ladies have suggested the Bite Agave lip mask and I definitely agree. I use the clear one at night and the Smashed during the day if I want a bit of color if I'm not wearing lipstick.

Recently I also starting using the Laneige Sleeping lip mask overnight and it's pretty good!

@HookedOnBeauty2 I'm the exact same with the agave lip mask. I even transferred the smashed into a lipgloss tube so that it wouldn't be so messy when I reapply at work

@skcfan I never thought to transfer it to a tube. Great idea!

the Bite agave lip mask is the only lip conditioner that does't just sit on top of my lips. It actually sinks in and fills in the lines of my dry lips. Don't be intimidated by the price tag, you do get a lot of product for what you pay for and it is totally worth the price. 

Hi @Tifffaannyyyy - my lips used to go through periods of occasional dryness and peeling, and I found the best way to deal with it was to drink lots of water, and incorporate lip care into my skincare regimen on a regular basis.

For me, this meant a scrub as needed, and a good balm regularly. I particularly like Glamglow Poutmud Fizzy Lip Exfoliating Treatment and Wet Lip Balm Duo. The minty sugar scrub is surprisingly gentle and moisturizing, and the matching balm is very hydrating. Fresh and Bite make similar items that also work well.

Like @ElleElleG, I also use Aquaphor as an overnight healing balm. If you'd like something a bit more natural, Herbivore makes a great coconut oil and rose balm.

I find that a good exfoliation to get rid of any dry bits followed by regular moisturizer keeps my lips in the best condition. If you need some super exfoliation, round loofah facial discs (you can find them at Amazon) are amazing at removing stubborn bits. Remember to be gentle as lip skin is quite thin and easily damaged - scrubbing immediately after I shower works well for me as my lips are soft from the water. Then slather on a balm to work its magic while you get ready, and wipe off any excess before applying your lip color.

Round facial loofahsRound facial loofahsHope this helps!

@Tifffaannyyyy The best product I've found that I really love and was recommended a lot on a previous thread is the Nuxe lip balm in the jar (not the stick).  I've tried a ton and it actually moisturizes my lips instead of drying them out.  You do have to like a citrusy grapefruit kinda scent/flavor though.

The bite lip mask is lovely too. A vanilla cake flavor that is amazing.  I did start to react to this a bit and noticed others commented on this so I only use it once in a while.

The best product I've found that I really love and was recommended a lot on a previous thread is the Nuxe lip balm in the jar (not the stick).  I've tried a ton and it actually moisturizes my lips instead of drying them out.  You do have to like a citrusy grapefruit kinda scent/flavor though

RE: Dry lips need help

Hi. I use two methods for keeping my lips moisturized. 1. I generously apply Rosebud & CO Tropical Ambrosia Baume/7.00 [anything similar is good except don't use menthol] to my lips and around them. Let it set for a minute and with a dropper apply pure Hyaluronic Acid on top rubbing it in. I prefer Vernal which I buy on Amazon for about 15.00. Everything absorbs within about 15 minutes and leaves my lips feeling soft and smooth. 2. I use Sephora Super Nourishing Lip Balm [on sale 4.00 online] directly on my lips & to get a gentle exfoliation use e.l.f brand Lip Exfoliator [about 3.50] over the Balm. Alone the e.l.f is pretty abrasive. The first option can be done as often as you like. The second only 1x a day or everyday. It's too much otherwise. I hope this helps. I've also posted a pic of the Hyaluronic Acid bottle.

@TifffaannyyyyI also have super dry lips because I take in too many dehydrating things - redbull caffeine and alcohol.  It honestly improves if I hydrate properly with loads of water but I still need every single lip product I can get.  I would strongly agree with @LetyMZ and @NotCrocker about the Bite Lip Mask is REALLY is worth it because it lasts a really long time and it's a fantastic product.  Keep in mind all my price references are Canadian so if you're in the US it will be a bit less.  If you were going to buy ONE product I would say to buy the Bite lip mask.  @ElleElleG's suggestion to make a sugar scrub is a really great one - you don't even have to do much if you don't want to spend a bunch of time on it just sugar and a little tiny bit of oil to moisten but the LUSH scrubs are some of the best honestly and here in Canada they are only $9.95 and they last a long time.  They work better than much more expensive scrubs I've tried.  I recently purchased "Drunk Elephant: Lippe" it's $22 CAD and it was a great product I think it penetrates well but there really isn't much of it and since I apply so much I went through it in about 3 weeks whereas the $30 Bite agava mask lasts me months.  LaNeige also has a good lip mask for $24 and I like to use it under the Bite lip mask but I would still recommend the bite agave mask because although it is "a mask" it can also be used alternatively as an all-day balm or gloss or light lip tint so it's very multi-functional - several products in one.  I find it helps to lightly scrub my lips every day so the dead skin is cleared away and my products penetrate better to do their job.  Finally - don't forget to put sunscreen on your lips I know that mine got badly sunburned this summer and that's part of the reason they are so dry!  Finally - I really also like all the FRESH sugar lip treatment products.  I like the clear treatment balm and the tinted treatments.  When my lips are VERY dry these are pretty much these only form of lipsticks I wear and they really are like a lip treatment and lipstick combined into one product in a way that I haven't seen with any other formula even the very moisturizing ones that have ingredients like Shea Butter.  If you're not looking to spent too much I find that any product with a lot of natural ingredients and with beeswax works better than a product with a ton of synthetics or petroleum products which will provide short term relief but will aggravate the problem in the longrun.  Also - watch out and look at ingredients because sometimes they sneak petroleum products and mineral oil (another one to stay away from) even into very expensive balms and that's bull as far as I am concerned because those are very cheap and have no business in premium priced products.  Burt's bee products and LUSH lip balms like "lip service" which is rich in beeswax are  good lower cost options.

Completely agree with the Bite Lip Mask, about the only thing that stays on long enough to hydrate and fix the dryness. 

Anonymous Insider

RE: Dry lips need help

For dry lips I'd put vaseline on them nightly.

@Tifffaannyyyy I have been using Neosporin overnight renewal therapy on my lips for years now and it works wonders. It's a little tub you can get in a drug store and it costs around $6-7. But it's awesome. I use it every night before I go to bed and I haven't had chapped lips in years - and I'm living through New England winters!  Try it, you'll love it!  I think I turned @k617 to this stuff too

RE: Re: Dry lips need help

Awesome thank you! I didn't know they had anything you could use for lips lol 😂

I started using a bit of Aquaphor a couple months back after dealing with chronically dry lips (& never giving my drying lip products a break).  It has helped tremendously!

If you don't want to pay for a sugar lip scrub you can create your own fresh scrub by combining a pinch of sugar and a drop or two of honey & mixing the combination until it's thick.  Quick & easy!

Thank you for the advice. I need to stop being lazy and make a lip scrub they are so expensive now.

I use Bite Me's Agave Sugar Lip Scrub and at night sleep with the Bite Me Agave Lip Mask 🙂 Totally wake up with soft lips and my lipstick application looks perf.

How is the rest of their lip products? I've always wanted to use their stuff.

Re: RE: Re: Dry lips need help

@Tifffaannyyyy Bite's lip products are top-notch, it's their wheelhouse. The lip mask is fantastic (especially now that it's in flexible plastic packaging) for overnight moisture. The Agave balm is honestly less impressive, but fine for day-time moisture. Their lipsticks are fantastic, super pigmented and creamy and non-drying. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 33 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos2
  • Round facial loofahs
testing