Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
Anonymous Insider

Dry Flaky Lips

I have a terrible habit of chewing or picking at my lips to get the dead, flaky skin off, because I'm OCD and I just can't stand my lips to be anything other than perfectly smooth. As a result, I sometimes end up with cracks in my lips that sometimes bleed. I've used lip balms and chap sticks religiously throughout my life, which my husband accuses me of just eating because I go through so much of it. Does anyone have any suggestions for lip products to keep my lips smooth and moisturized?

RE: Dry Flaky Lips

Bite beauty agave lip balm is the absolute best thing I have ever used. So moisturizing and decadent. Low melting point though so this is not a pocket chapstick....their agave lip mask is great too so maybe the combo will solve all your problems and make all your luscious lip dreams come true

What you’re doing sounds exactly like what I do in my daily life. I can’t stop picking at my dry cracked lips. I’ve gotten to the point where I have dry blood on my lips. I recently discovered the Primera Lip Mask and I highly recommend it. Within a day I saw a difference. It actually got rid of my dead skin on my lips. Eventually you will be able to peel all the dry skin off and your lips will feel so good!

Vaseline mini tubs. Life changer. Don't get the tinted or flavored or whatever just plain old Vaseline. I moved from a swamp to dry mountains and it's the only solution that doesn't create dependence and really works.

Re: Dry Flaky Lips

Hi there @Anonymous! So, my first suggestion is going to be really cliché, but you want to make sure you drink enough water throughout the day to keep hydrated. Now onto the useful stuff...

• Exfoliating. I exfoliate my lips almost everyday. I'm a fan of the Lush lip scrubs or the Fresh sugar one.
  • I follow that immediately with a thick balm like Paul & Joe Lip Treatment Balm or Fresh Sugar Nourishing Lip Balm Advanced Therapy.
  • Next, I use a hydrating balm that's high in oils to keep my lips hydrated throughout the day. I'm not sure what balm you use now but many medicated ones contain ingredients that can irritate your lips and make them feel dry faster (think menthol or camphor, found in Burt's Bees and Carmex. Note these don't affect everyone but it's still possible). My favorite is a lip butter from David's Tea. I know there aren't really many of their stores around but if you can find something similar it may help. I also suggest Fresh Sugar Advanced Therapy Lip Treatment.
  • Last but not least, you may want to use a thicker balm in the evening. My favorite is either the Fresh Sugar Nourishing Lip Balm Advanced Therapy (again) or C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Night Balm Lip Treatment

Keeping my lips hydrated and smooth keeps me from needing to pick at them. Good luck!

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing