Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Lip Lovers
Highlighted

Bite Beauty Lab NYC

As requested, here is a mini documentary of my visit to Bite Beauty Lab! The store is located in Soho on Prince St. I arrived early and was able to score a custom color appointment easily; however, customers who arrived after me had to wait anywhere from 30 min to a couple of hours. I would recommend either calling ahead of time or coming early.

This is a view of the consultation area. You sit across from a MUA with a spread of colors between you, as well as a clean surface for mixing:

The lovely MUA (whose name I forget! I remember that she was from Senegal, that she wore MUD eyemakeup, and that she used to work for OCC, but for the life of me I can not remember her name!) introduced me to the four formulations: Luminous Creme, Matte Creme (?), Sheer Creme (?), and Creme Deluxe. The Luminous Creme is like the Luminous Creme lippies that they sell: satin finish, hydrating. The Matte Creme is supposed to have silica powder which makes it longer lasting. The Sheer Creme is sheer and hydrating, probably like the sheer lippies in their regular line. The Creme Deluxe has more antioxidants and is long lasting due to inclusion of Japanese silk and is therefore more expensive at 48$. The prior 3 are 36$. I decided to get a Creme Deluxe in a classic blue based red and a Luminous Creme in a pinky-peach my-lips-but-better shade. The MUA started mixing shades using a spatula on a clear surface:

The first mixture was too bold, the second too purple, and the third was just right. For good measure, I tried a fourth, but settled on the third. With each concoction, the MUA wrote down the proportions of the different ingredients:

After settling on both shades, I was asked to choose a scent. There was a scent station with cherry, wildberry, mint, vanilla, mango, citrus mango, and violet scented lipstick bases. I settled on citrus mango:

My MUA then pulled all the pigments for my lippies from a wall full of pigments in bon-bon sizes and shapes:

She then put them in a cup and added the appropriate lipstick base formulation as well as several drops of the scent I had chosen:

After melting the concoction in the microwave, she put the mixture in a centrifuge:

She then tested the shade against the shade we had mixed together at the consultation area. One of the shades was slightly off so she added additional pigment and then remelted/centrifuged:

Once the shades were perfect, she poured them into lipstick molds:

The lipstick molds were set on a cool surface and allowed to solidify. Afterward, she released them from the mold:

She then got an empty housing and placed it carefully over the unmolded lippie:

Then the lipstick was lidded and boxed:

The lipstick was placed in a box and labelled with my chosen lipstick names. It was placed in a plastic bag with a business card (red lip), advertisement card, and personalized lip card with my shade on it and the recipe on the back. I named my two lippies after my two kids:

Here is the final result:

I enjoyed my experience immensely and have to thank my dear friend Mary for giving me a 100$ gc to Bite Beauty Lab for Christmas. I would highly recommend this experience to those of you who would like to find the absolute perfect shade. The more expensive formulation (deluxe creme) is about the price of a Tom Ford, so probably not worth it unless you have a gc. The others are in the range of a Guerlain or Chanel, so for me, totally worth it, considering you are getting a perfect shade. I would swatch my lippies for you, but my lips are entirely exhausted from trying on so many shades. I hope this helps those of you nearby decide if you want to make the trip to Manhattan, and as for those of you who live far away, consider visiting (and making an appointment!) if you ever visit NYC!

Re: Bite Beauty Lab NYC

OMG thank you so much for the very detailed description and experience.  I loved seeing all the pics as well!  I really need to get my butt to NYC!  We should do a BT meet up there and all get custom shades lol Smiley Wink

I would love that!

Yeah seriously.  Trip to NYC, custom lipstick and shopping spree at the biggest Sephora in NYC! (which one is that btw? lol)

Now all I need to do is save $$$ and get my passport! Smiley Wink

There are no words for the coolness of this. Must go on my way to Ghana!  Thank you for sharing this awesome experience! LOVE IT!.

your welcome! and i know you will appreciate just how much work it took for me to figure out to upload all these pics from my phone!

oh WOW ghkim that is an amazingly detailed post and now I'm dying to check out the BITE lip lap myself!  @_@  all those pretty colors aaaahhhhhhh.  thanks so much for putting this all together to share with us on BT, it's wonderful!  hope you enjoy your new "brian" and "ben" lippies, hehehe.

ah, brian is my nice, entirely normal baby, whereas ben is my emotional, passionate, tortured soul of a toddler. i'll let you guess which was which!

Impressive!

This looks so cool! I've been meaning to make another trip to NYC...

OMG! Amazing little diary of your experience. Thank you sooo much! definitely going to make a trip up in the Spring for this!

Wonderful write-up of your experience and great pictures of the process! Thank you for sharing!

The lip lab is a genius idea, and I hope they open one in California!

So fun! definitely want to do this some day 

Love all the pictures of the process you went through... very cool! Now I have an excuse to head up to NYC again! Smiley Happy

Ohmygosh! Looks like an amazingly fun experience and totally cool. I'm super jealous! You're such a lucky girl. This is definitely on my list of NYC "musts." Thanks so much for the detailed pictures and post. Smiley Happy

Omg that is absolutely awesome!! Thank you so much for sharing! Ahh... those lippies are so pretty!!! I want to go now!!!

WOW im so jealous! if only there was one in SoCal Smiley Sad

they're a bit pricey but i'm sure its worth paying for the fun experience!

This is so awesome, I'm glad you had fun and thanks for sharing your experience with us! 

How long was your appointment? 

I believe that thinking up a name for my lipstick would be the most difficult part! Smiley Tongue I love the names of your lippies, though!

They estimate 30 minutes for the whole thing. Mine lasted about 45 since I got two. It's variable though so there is no rule. Regarding names, thanks! In my mind, the names are so very appropriate!

Wow, they are very efficient to complete that whole process in 30-45 minutes!

oh wow! I had no idea something like this existed.  i. want. to. go. NOW!!  Smiley Happy

This is so neat! Love how you chose your lipstick names. Thank you so much for taking the time to take photos & write about your experience! I hope to go next time I go to NYC

This sounds like such an amazing experience! I am so happy for you. Thank you for sharing the experience. 

This is awesome thanks so much for sharing!!!

83 Replies