Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Bite Beauty - Allergic Reactions?

Anyone else have an allergic reaction on their lips to Bite Beauty products? I know they have all natural ingredients, which is why I'm perplexed. I've tried two different products from them and end up with eczema-like cuts on my lips.

I haven't had a reaction to any of my products, but I try...

I haven't had a reaction to any of my products, but I try to swatch a couple times first. Unfortunately you can develop an allergy to something at any point in your life 😔
Anonymous Insider

Re: Bite Beauty - Allergic Reactions?

Yes it took me a few days to figure out what was going on. When I use it it comes back, if I stop it gets better. I've used it for a while and only started happening in past month. I get red swelling and blisters. I use the lavender bite lip mask.

@dmichelle1 wrote:
Anyone else have an allergic reaction on their lips to Bite Beauty products? I know they have all natural ingredients, which is why I'm perplexed. I've tried two different products from them and end up with eczema-like cuts on my lips.

I've had this experience 3 times now with 3 different products. I don't know if it'll help narrow down the offending ingredient at all, but here goes.

Two years ago, my lips swelled, chapped, and cracked for three weeks. I only recently suspected it was because I used the agave lip balm, and then when that caused swelling, I tried to remedy it with Bite Beauty's agave lip mask which made it worse. Then, last year, I tried Burt's Bees for the first time and my lips swelled on the spot. It was itchy and tingly and painful for another day or so. Then just yesterday, after my lips not swelling for over a year, I was feeling pretty brave. I tried Bite's amuse bouche in chai, which I got for free from one of Sephora's promos. Boom, my lips were once again swollen by the end of the day and have stayed swollen overnight.

I googled the ingredients for all three of these products and what I saw in common were lanolin, castor oil, and beeswax. The thing is, I'm pretty sure that for me it isn't lanolin, because that's a pretty common ingredient in lipsticks and of all the lipsticks I've had in my life, I never had this reaction before. I guess I might have to do my own "tests" with beeswax to find out. 

I'm having the same issue. Pretty sure it's the castor oil. 

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

Anonymous Insider

I had the same exact recent allergic reaction to both bite and tinted Burt's bees Chapsticks...thanks for posting these shared ingredients, I'll have to look into that. I've been in such denial about the allergy to bite products, as I love them so much 😞

Why did the lightbulb just turn on in my head?  I had the same reaction to the Bite lip products.  I own the BITE BEAUTY - Amuse Bouche Lipstick - Chai,

BITE BEAUTY - Agave Lip Mask - Maple,

BITE BEAUTY - French Press Lipgloss - Dirty Chai.  

This past winter I was using all 3 simultaneously, and began having reactions. My lips would itch and swell.  They would become dry, irritated, and small bumps formed.  I never questioned the product, and thought it was just the cold season and wind.  I stopped using that lip color combo, and now that I think of it, it all subsided.  Now I’ve been using just the lip mask, and I haven’t had any recurring issues.  Does anyone have a comprehensive ingredient list and shared ingredients between the Bite products?

Yes all of the Bite lip products have totally irritated my lips and make them swell.  Very expensive lesson as the products were fine initially and since they had a clean ingredient list and were cruelty free, I purchased lots of colour and balms.  Have had to throw all of them out but last night I found one small tube tucked in my purse so I used it and voila hugely swollen lips this morning.  6 hours later they are still swollen.  If they didn't sting so much, I would think maybe they add something to make your lips fuller?  Would love to know what I am reacting to?  I have zero allergies that i know of.

I just used the Agave Lip Mask in Lavender for two nights, and now have a dry, bumpy, swollen itchy patch on my upper lip, kind of like the skin got burned off. Really annoyed as I bought 3 trial size things with masks in them directly from Bite Beauty. I have used and loved their balm without issue (the old version, not the vegan one), but it definitely didn't fix what the mask did, as I wore it during the day. Checked the ingredients but no idea what it is. Going to return to Kiehl's Buttermask for night, which I love, was just trying Bite because I thought of course I'll love it. Glad I am not alone.

YES.  SEE below what happened to me!  Agave lip mask in clear used overnight.  Woke up with huge swollen and sore lips.   Can’t narrow down the specific ingredient.  

Bottom photo about an hour after waking up.   Top photo after a dose of Benadryl and iceBottom photo about an hour after waking up. Top photo after a dose of Benadryl and ice

@kaceeb48 omg this is awful!! tartes new lip sting does t...

@kaceeb48 omg this is awful!! tartes new lip sting does this to me!

I discovered Bite Beauty’s lip mask and fell in love. My lips were drying out, so I would use more. Then they became so severely chapped and split, with sores and swelling, I discontinued use.

I had purchased several lip colors as well. I didn’t throw them out, and tried a color again last night. I woke up with swollen, severely dry and a split lip this morning. Clearly, something is in their product that caused the reaction. I have never experienced this with any other product - ever. 

If you are experiencing dryer lips, discontinue use immediately! Go back to your favorite lip balm stat.

i used to love the lip mask as well, i even used half the tube (i should have stopped long time ago). at first i thought it was the weather causing the dryness/splitting so i kept using more and more until i started getting little rashes *sigh*

Saw this on Facebook - It’s really nice to see they have acknowledged the allergic reactions people are having even if they don’t mention that explicitly. Also correct me if I’m wrong, I think I saw/heard Bite was transitioning to all vegan anyway? 

CDD20AA7-8B83-4D96-B018-62BB16B67D24.jpeg

some bite products use lanolin, a sheep fat. the allergy could be from the sweet orange oil. citrus extract. i dont buy bite because it uses beeswax, not cruelty free  

Anonymous Insider

Yes, it irritates the skin around my lips, I had too much on my lips and put the excess on my hands and it irritated my hands as well.20190318_114752.jpg

20190318_122152.jpg

20190318_114755.jpg

THIS EXACT THING IS HAPPENING TO ME! I think it is the lip mask, my derm said it has to be an outside irritant (aka a product i'm using cosmetically) and I've stopped using all other new products I started around when they started showing up on my hands. After applying some to my hand when it was particularly dry, my hands immediately started burning and turning red. 

IMG_6478.JPG

I'm struggling to think of a single allergy that isn't "natural" - dogs, pollen, various foods... if anything, a product/brand that's "all natural" would be MORE likely to contain allergens, compared to something that contains synthesized ingredients.

Off the top of my head, their lip mask contains lanolin, which is a common (or at least commonly known) allergen. If you're not sensitive to it, it's incredible. But if you are, or if you're vegan, that can rule out a lot of lip and skin products for you.

Anonymous Insider

I have recently suffered a horrific lip reaction, and have finally narrowed it to Bite Lipstick.  The reaction came the morning after wearing lipstick to dinner, I woke up with severely swollen lips.  They soon became very dry, began to blister on the top and bottom and even the inside of my mouth.  By day two, my lips were blistered and oozing.  This was extremely painful.  I went to the Dr and was prescribed oral steroids...four days later I went to a different Dr, who prescribed a steroid cream for my lips.  This blistering/cracking/peeling/painful experience lasted three weeks.  It was almost like my lips were shedding, three times over the next couple weeks.  I don't know if I ultimately had a bad allergic reaction or more like a chemical burn of some sort.  Hard to believe something that can do this kind of damage is still on the shelves today!

57374468716__5F3AB4D5-D77B-4888-A974-22193B4780EA.JPG

57366126128__28D8830E-4A0A-40D8-AC91-0F75145F4976.JPG

57374663438__01BC9E57-847D-4321-99FC-39F3E0F64C12.JPG

IMG_2227.jpg

I had the exact same thing happen to me after using the agave lip mask. At first, I thought I was just having chapped lips so I used more of the lip mask to help. Turns out the lip mask was the cause and I was only making it worse. My lips were so chapped they burned and were constantly peeling. I started to get raised bumps along the outer edge of my mouth. It felt like a chemical peel on my lips. My lips also swelled to about double the size. One morning I woke up and I had red itchy bumps all over my arms as well. I finally went to the doctor and he confirmed an allergic reaction was happening and prescribed me a steroid ointment to treat the reaction and said to stop using the lip balm. 

I have never had an allergic reaction like this before and have no known allergens. It was surprising to me that this product would cause such a severe reaction especially since it is all natural ingredients. I would love to know which specific ingredient is causing these reactions so I can avoid it in the future. 

I swear that is how my lips look after using their products. 

Omg I had the exact same reaction and I couldn’t figure out what it was.  I’m returning the lip mask it put me thru weeks of pain!!!!

1 Reply
testing