From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers

Best product to get rid of lines on lips?

I don’t have lines around my lips but on my lips. Help! 

Re: Best product to get rid of lines on lips?

@fleursauvage747  Pretty much everyone has lines on their lips. 🙂 The only way to not have them is to never move your lips, since lines become more prominent with repeat facial (eh, lip) expressions. 

While you can't completely erase lip lines*, you can soften the look of them with this daily routine: 

1. Hydrate your lips. Plain ol' water works for this. I take it a step further with a lip serum to get an antioxidant boost: I use Glossier Bubblewrap, which contains hyaluronic acid among other good stuff. (I don't use Bubblewrap anywhere else on my face.) It's not moisturizing enough on its own to be a lip balm, but it's perfect for me as a lip serum. And since I need such a tiny amount each application—about half a rice grain—the metal tube lasts a long time. I apply Bubblewrap to my lips while they're still damp (but not soaking wet) from washing my face. 

2. Use an occlusive moisturizer that'll seal in that hydration. I use a thin layer of Aquaphor Ointment for this because nothing keeps my lips moisturized better and longer than petrolatum. Aquaphor also contains lanolin; if you're sensitive to that ingredient, try CeraVe Healing Ointment instead which contains mineral oil (another very occlusive ingredient) plus ceramides. Some folks use plain ol' petroleum jelly (like Vaseline) as lip balm. 

3. Apply a sunscreen balm during the day to prevent sun damage. My favorites are Supergoop! AcaiFusion Lip Balm Broad Spectrum SPF 30 0.5 oz/ 15 mL and Vanicream Lip Protectant. They're the only ones that don't feel drying on my lips and don't have that gross sunscreen smell-taste. I apply one of these over Aquaphor. Yes, that means I wear 2 lip balms during the day if my lips will be exposed to sunlight. 😄 [ EDIT: Ugh, Supergoop reformulated this lip balm and now it's Supergoop! PLAY Lip Balm SPF 30 with Acai which, according to reviews, has a gross taste. 😞 I wish they'd left it alone. Anyway, I haven't used the newer version so I can't attest to its performance. ]

Optional: use a lip primer, especially under drying lipsticks. I do this whenever I wear liquid mattes or any lipstick that bleeds/feathers/patches/streaks a lot. My favorite lip primer is MAC Prep + Prime Lip. 

"What about lip scrubs?" Well... these are more for removing dead skin cells from your lips, though most scrubs have an oil base so they leave a comfy emollient feel on your lips. Be careful with these, though: the skin on your lips is the thinnest on your entire face, and over-exfoliating that skin would be bad. I use a ColourPop Lippie Scrub just once or twice every 1 or 2 weeks. You can also just use an old (but clean!) soft toothbrush for this, or even a wet washcloth. 

*Actually, I'm not sure if lip injections completely erase lines. Even if they do, it's a temporary result, so you'd have to keep having injections done

I definitely recommend getting a good lip scrub as well as a lip hydrated/primer 

I really like the Bite Beauty lip scrub !

as for a hydrating/primer Mac makes a great one ! 

this will hopefully help to decrease the look/prominence of lines on your lips and also prevent them from showing through your lip products (gloss,lipstick etc)

Anonymous Insider

Hello there! I have the same issues and i used to get cinnamon oil and peppermint oil at any craft store and apply both to my lips letting it dry before applying lipstick! Its also gives a plumping effect ! c: and u smell amazing all day ! @fleursauvage747 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing