Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Best lipstick formulas that are non matte?

Now that it's summer, I've been really into lip glosses, lip creams, lipsticks and velvet liquid lips. Matte liquid lips and lipsticks feel soo drying in this heat. What are the best lipsticks/glosses that aren't matte formulas? 

Re: Best lipstick formulas that are non matte?

Can’t go wrong with a MAC satin, creamsheen, or amplified (if you love bold bright colors) lipstick. MAC’s liptensity line is also creamy and comfy and contains one of my favorite shades (Hellebore), but they don’t wear as long as the other finishes. I’ve been a MAC lipstick fan for 30+ years so I always recommend them. 

I’m also a huge fan of Lancôme’s L’Absolu glosses, especially the L’Absolu Lacquers. I don’t usually like glosses (too sticky, messy, and wear off too easily) but those lacquers are very comfy—just slightly sticky—and the color stays put. Longest I’ve worn one with no touch-ups or reapplication (also didn’t eat any oily food, but drank plenty of coffee and water) is 6 hours. I’m starting to feel like a Lancôme sales rep: I’ve been telling everyone about these glosses, and I’m not part of some “get free product in exchange for a review” program.

Some Lipstick Queen lipsticks are more like tinted or pigmented lip balms. I know their color-changing formulas don’t work for everyone (the color you get partly depends on your pH and natural lip color) but for a very comfy moisturizing feel, they’re worth a shot. And they have several shades that aren’t color-transformations, they’re straight-up lipsticks. 

Some NARS lipsticks are nice and creamy. I often wear the shade Charlotte from their Audacious lipstick range and it performs really well. 

I want to try a Bite lipstick sometime. I’ve swatched a few in a Sephora but for a true test, I need to buy one and wear it for a day. I’m hoping they’re like a more pigmented version of Lipstick Queen. 

Funny: summer is usually when I wear more mattes, because winters here in Chicago are not kind to lips. Winter is when I switch almost exclusively to solid creamy lipsticks. 

I thought I was the only one!!

My very favorite lipstick formula (well, I guess it's more of a balm than a lipstick) is the Tarte LipSurgence collection.  These are no longer available on the Sephora website, but on the Tarte website, they're on sale for $10 (full price is $24).  They're tinted balms, enough color to be noticeable but not as pigmented as your typical lipstick.

As far as items you can get from Sephora, I've had good luck with Dior's Rouge Dior lipsticks, and Kat Von D's Studded Kiss Creme lipstick.

RE: Best lipstick formulas that are non matte?

Cream or satin lipsticks work really well

@melissavd,

I have been using a lot more hydrating lipsticks now that it is warm out. I sometimes use the matte lipsticks as a base and then apply the hydrating lipstick on top. I really like the Too Faced Natural Nudes Lipstick as they offer a lot of pigment and smooth formula.

https://www.sephora.com/product/natural-nudes-lipstick-P429601?skuId=2064293&icid2=products%20grid:p...

❤️ Melissa

@melissavd The Bite Amuse Bouche line is great, either the traditional bullet or Liquified version. The traditional bullet is longer wearing, but the Liquified version is more moisturizing and wears more like a gloss. I also like the Cream formula of the UD Vice lipsticks. Their newer glosses are nice too. 

oh yes I second the bite beauty - such a great formula !

@melissavd  Tarte rainforest of the sea lipsticks and Colourpop ultra satin

Second the Tarte - such a good formula for summer!

@melissavd

Lancome L'Absolue Lacquer Longwear Lip Gloss! Hands down my favorite lip formula...it stays in place without feathering or bleeding and has a wear time similar to liquid mattes (i.e. it lasts foreeeever), but is super shiny and glossy, and so very comfortable. I have dry lips and don't like anything matte in general, but I also dislike the frequent reapplication that many non-mattes require...these have been an answer to my prayers!

(And no, I did NOT receive one from influenster for testing purposes, and in fact, I have purchased four on my own. I feel like I have to start specifying that now that these are everywhere 🙄) 😄

Heh, I also keep telling folks “no, I’m not part of Influenster or any similar program... no, Lancôme isn’t paying me to say this... no, I don’t work for Lancôme...” So I hear you. 

L’Absolu Lacquer is easily the best gloss I’ve ever worn. I’ve bought 5 shades. I know blue lipstick is kinda out of Lancôme’s norm, but man, if they ever released a blue or dark teal shade of this stuff, I’d be ecstatic. 

@melissavd I hear you! I basically don't do mattes at all. My favorite lipstick is the Hourglass Lip Stylo, which has a creamy satin finish... not too shiny, but comfortable and not a matte. Runners-up are Givenchy Rouge Interdit (similar finish) and Dior Addict (a little more shiny).

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 27 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing