Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in K-Beauty
|

How many steps?

I've read a few articles on how many steps Korean beauty consists of. Are there 10 or 12 steps? Should be followed every day consistently or is there room for flexibility?Have you tried any DIY recipes or natural alternative for the steps?

RE: How many steps?

I’ve started out with all 10, and only probably use 10 on a rare day, but not all at once. I don’t exfoliate everyday, or sheet mask everyday. A few times a week though!! I have a combo skin and concerns with pigmentation so I make sure I stick to what helps for that. A lot of vitamin c and sunscreen! I think it’s just more of the idea of finding what your skin type is and taking care of those needs. And however that works best for you, go with that!

Re: How many steps?

Here's the secret: that ten-step routine is a buzzword popularized by Charlotte Cho, founder of online k-beauty retailer Soko Glam. It's a marketing strategy gone viral. The truth is, you don't actually need all ten, and even if you decide to use them, not all of them are for every day. Some women have less than ten, some women have more. There is no "one size fits all" routine, since everyone's skin is different. It's all about what works for you, and yeah, that'll take some time and experimentation to figure out. The real reason k-beauty has gotten so popular isn't so much that Korean products are inherently better, but more because Asian skincare tends to be intensely customizable and has a LOT of options for all skin types and concerns (and cool innovations like cushion compacts and sheet masks!).

Basically, here's the framework: cleanser, exfoliant, toner, any actives you want, and moisturizer.

• For k-beauty, cleanser is usually double cleansing, for which you want really, really gentle cleansers. Oil cleanser to remove makeup and sunscreen, water-based cleanser for everything else.
  • Exfoliant to promote cell turnover for clear, glowing skin--but depending on your skin and the exfoliant you use, this may not be an everyday step.
  • Toner for hydration and to prep skin for actives and moisturizer.
  • Actives are the most flexible part of the routine and include essence, serum/ampoules, and anything else targeting specific skin concerns, like acne, hyperpigmentation, or signs of aging. You can use just one, multiple ones, or none at all if you don't want to. Sheet masks go here too--think of them as essence.
  • And moisturizer (including eye cream), of course, is for hydration too. 

Consistency is generally good for skincare, but actives and exfoliant are easy to vary according to what your skin needs that day. Morning and evening routines also differ--you might want different products for am and pm. For example, I don't use toner, actives, or exfoliant in the morning, and of course you don't need sunscreen at night.

That's really all you need to get started, but don't toss all your old stuff just yet. There are lots of Western products that work really well, and there's no reason your routine has to be all Korean or all Asian products. K-beauty isn't separate from other skincare; it's just another category. Add whatever helps you to your routine. And of course, it's always smart to introduce one thing to your routine at a time, so that if you have a bad reaction to something, you know what to stop using. 

I hope this helped answer some of your questions! Good luck!

RE: How many steps?

I have a 5-6 step process which varies. Usually I start with a double cleanse, using two different cleansers followed by a toner and then a moisturizer. What varies is whether or not I exfoliate or use a sheetmask. For my nighttime routine I add essence and eye cream. I alwayswash my face morning and night. If I’m going to the gym I like to remove my makeup and wash my face before hand. I’ve seen visible results andhave used the soko glam website to help me choose products. They’re very affordable and can be found on Amazon. Sephora also has a great favorites box I bought called Soko to Tokyo (still waiting for it to arrive) which has a good variety of items. I’ve included a picture of my nighttime routine. (I have acne/combination and sensitive skin)

You don’t need to do every step whether it’s 10 or 12 steps. You can customize your routine depending how well your skin adapts to the products you use. If you really want to know more on the K-Beauty steps, Charlotte Cho, co-founder and creator of Sokoglam wrote a book about each step and explains how it’ll help your skin and she’s also a licensed aestheticians well. The book on the website sells for $24.99 and I think she also autographs the book and is first edition too. I plan on buying her book. I hope this helps.

Anonymous Insider

I started out with a full one 10-step routine, but you sort of learn what your skin needs and how to adapt and modify your routine along the way! The number of steps can honestly vary. I would recommend at least starting out with a double cleanse routine (oil cleanser, especially if you wear makeup, and then a water-based cleanser) as well as a toner to balance your skin's pH level after cleansing. There's a great article on where to start + tons of other introductory articles here: http://w2beauty.com/2017/05/10-step-k-beauty-skincare-regimen/ 

W2Beauty also has a great K-beauty focused community if you want to talk to others specifically about K-beauty! Cheers! ❤️ 

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos1
testing