Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in K-Beauty
|

Can anyone explain what does primers really do?

Primers💅

RE: Can anyone explain what does primers really do?

Primers give you a smooth surface to apply your makeup! Some provide benefits like making your skin matte or adding sunscreen. I personally think that they help product work better on your skin so you don’t need to use as much. Also eyeshadow primer will keep your shadow from creasing and help your color pop! I honestly can’t wear eye shadow workout primer now. They really do make a huge difference!

Exactly what @RebeccaBT said. For myself i need a primer for a smooth canvas and to last throughout the day. I use Etude house face blur which is my dupe for the Fenty primer. Half the price and has spf which I prefer. Protects my skin and from the sun. If i dont use a primer my skin looks gross and creases.

I have always found primers to make my makeup thick, cakey and too mask-y looking regardless of if it's the first or last step. HOWEVER, I use Glow Recipe's Watermelon Lotion as a primer to get the glass skin look and it's totally changed my world! It works for both dry and oily skin and to use as a primer, I use it as my first step before any eye cream, etc...and, then, again patted on as my last step. Well, before mascara...but you get the idea. Really, it's genius!

Re: Can anyone explain what does primers really do?

For some of us primer is necessary for achieving a smooth, flawless finish that stays in place all day. Different primers can have different benefits. It's all about what works for you, @beautyxoxo21.

Most professional makeup artists do not use primers. It is a gimmick. No matter how people want to spin it. If you take care of your skin, moisturize before you apply makeup, you don't need a primer. 

I can tell you that Blake Lively's makeup artist who also works on many celebrities doesn't use it at all. She and I are in the same makeup group for MU professionals. 

Hi @beautyxoxo21,

Primer is your last step to skincare, first step to makeup. It seals in your skincare and keeps it penetrating into your skin while creating a smooth, primed surface for your foundation to apply onto. Primer also assists in making your makeup last longer and look more flawless. Hope this helps!

Best,
Rebecca 

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing