Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in K-Beauty
|

Can anyone explain what does primers really do?

Primers๐Ÿ’…

RE: Can anyone explain what does primers really do?

Primers give you a smooth surface to apply your makeup! Some provide benefits like making your skin matte or adding sunscreen. I personally think that they help product work better on your skin so you donโ€™t need to use as much. Also eyeshadow primer will keep your shadow from creasing and help your color pop! I honestly canโ€™t wear eye shadow workout primer now. They really do make a huge difference!

Exactly what @RebeccaBT said. For myself i need a primer for a smooth canvas and to last throughout the day. I use Etude house face blur which is my dupe for the Fenty primer. Half the price and has spf which I prefer. Protects my skin and from the sun. If i dont use a primer my skin looks gross and creases.

I have always found primers to make my makeup thick, cakey and too mask-y looking regardless of if it's the first or last step. HOWEVER, I use Glow Recipe's Watermelon Lotion as a primer to get the glass skin look and it's totally changed my world! It works for both dry and oily skin and to use as a primer, I use it as my first step before any eye cream, etc...and, then, again patted on as my last step. Well, before mascara...but you get the idea. Really, it's genius!

Re: Can anyone explain what does primers really do?

For some of us primer is necessary for achieving a smooth, flawless finish that stays in place all day. Different primers can have different benefits. It's all about what works for you, @beautyxoxo21.

Most professional makeup artists do not use primers. It is a gimmick. No matter how people want to spin it. If you take care of your skin, moisturize before you apply makeup, you don't need a primer. 

I can tell you that Blake Lively's makeup artist who also works on many celebrities doesn't use it at all. She and I are in the same makeup group for MU professionals. 

Hi @beautyxoxo21,

Primer is your last step to skincare, first step to makeup. It seals in your skincare and keeps it penetrating into your skin while creating a smooth, primed surface for your foundation to apply onto. Primer also assists in making your makeup last longer and look more flawless. Hope this helps!

Best,
Rebecca 

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing