Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders

What did you trial and then buy?

I have to admit, I've been loving the foils and trial sizes provided when I buy online. I have so many to try! What items have you tried out from a foil or trial size and ended up buying? Alternatively, what were you glad to try but didn't buy and why? I'll start. *I tried the foils of Ouai Repair shampoo and conditioner and bought them. I enjoy them so far. *I tried a trial of the Sephora Eye Makeup Remove and *will* buy it once my container of Mary Kay is empty. *I tried the trial size of Ren Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask and had an allergic reaction to it! (hives). I loved the brightness of my skin, but I'm allergic to an ingredient in it. What about you?

Re: What did you trial and then buy?

15588902270744664982771398562528.jpg

I didn't even finish this sample and  I bought the full-sized one in the sale.  I love how bright my skin looks with it, so I put it on in the daytime after my other serums and before my spf.

Juice Beauty green apple brightening emulsion

I just finished a trial size of Clarins Extra-Firming Yeux (eyes), and I love it for daytime.  It smoothed and softens the under eyes, and my makeup glides over it nicely.  15588899313366324785765788725026.jpg

I went back to Shoppers and used my points to purchase the full-sized one.

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair!™ Deep Conditioning Hair Mask 8 oz/ 237 mL

I tried this hair mask from a sample and had to buy it!

Tags:

OLEHENRIKSEN - Transforming Walnut Scrub. 

It is my favorite scrub! I think I’m on my second full size now ❤️

I need to remember to select samples of things I haven't tried yet, instead of leaning to things I know I like. How many FRESH - Lotus Youth Preserve Dream Night Cream trials

do I need?  I already bought a big one. Lol I can refill the little container for travel. 

Oh, I have a lot! Off the top of my head...

Wander Beauty Baggage Claim Eye Masks 6 x Eye Masks

NEST - Citrine

LIVING PROOF - Perfect Hair Day® Night Cap Overnight Perfector

Hourglass Vanish™ Seamless Finish Foundation Stick 5 Shell

Farmacy Dew It All Total Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL

There are quite a few more, but I'm just glad I'm down to one subscription box (Allure Beauty Box) because I'm always falling in love with those samples. Whenever the next sale comes around, I'm going to have to get these products, which I discovered thanks to Allure:

Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL

CHRISTOPHE ROBIN - Cleansing Purifying Scrub with Sea Salt

I've been wanting to try Biossance products, and now I'm scared to try a foil I just got from a Sephora order and an oil from this month's Allure box... 

I have a Farmacy Honey Drop Lightweight Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

sitting in my GWP pile....I should try it one of these days, speaking of Farmacy items. 

Try the Biossance!  You may discover a new favourite.

A subscription would be a rabbit hole for sure of new items to try.

Goes to show you never know what you'll like until you try it!  Can't wait to go through more of my samples.

This is a really fun thread!   I love seeing everyone's answers, especially when I've got the same samples at home.

I have the intention of buying several other full sizes of samples, but here are those that I've recently purchased:

1. Biossance Squalane and Vitamin C Rose Oil

Biossance - Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil

2. Biossance 100 percent Squalane Oil

Biossance - 100% Squalane Oil

3. Biossance Squalane and Peptide Eye Gel- This is really good as an under eye primer also to make a smooth surface for corrector or concealer.

Biossance - Squalane + Peptide Eye Gel

4. Lancome Advanced Genifique Yeux Light-Pearl Eye Illuminator Youth Activating Concentrate- I'm not using this for long-term results; I like how it de-puffs my under eye area (it contains caffeine,) but mostly I adore it for how it make my under eye circles look so much less severe.  The light reflecting quality of this serum, for me, is better than any other I've tried.  It does this without a tint, so it won't interfere with a corrector or concealer.

Lancôme - Advanced Génifique Yeux Light-Pearl™ Eye Illuminator Youth Activating Concentrate

@Ispend2much6  Before I started the DDG eye serum, I used that Lancôme Light Pearl daily. I still have an unopened backup. My last in-use bottle is about 3/4 empty so I should really use it up... because I really wanna save the applicator, since it’s stay-cold steel and feels sooooo good under my eyes in the morning. I’ll use it to apply my other things under my eyes. And I’ve fallen in love with the Biossance eye gel! 🙂

2 recent samples-turned-FS purchases:  

Biossance and Youth to the PeopleBiossance and Youth to the People

Biossance Squalane + Tea Tree Balancing Oil 1.01 oz/ 30 mL - One of my spot treatments for acne. (Yes, I also sometimes use salicylic acid. I can’t use benzoyl peroxide.) 

Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Oil with Squalane and Antioxidants 1 oz / 30 ml - This stuff’s great as my new daytime moisturizer. It’s also a nice antioxidant boost to layer over The Ordinary Buffet, which is lacking in that department. It gives me a nice natural glow without clogging my pores. 

Older examples of DS-to-FS purchases: 

Lancôme Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover 4.2 oz/ 125 mL - Fastest, most thorough eye makeup remover I’ve ever used. 

LANCôME - Bi-Facil Face Bi-Phased Micellar Water Face Makeup Remover & Cleanser - My nightly remover of anything that’s not eyeshadow, eyeliner, or mascara. (It will easily remove most eyeshadows but takes more effort to remove other eye makeup.) 

Le Labo Patchouli 24 perfume - My new favorite warm, smoky, woodsy, leathery, scent. It’s one of the testers in the large sampler kit I got for my birthday last December. I love this scent so much, I bought the shower gel this week and will buy a candle very soon. 

Origins Plantscription™ Anti-Aging Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL - My usual nightly cleanser. It helped my skin bounce back from excessive dryness caused by another Origins cleanser (Checks & Balances). 

Now I want to try a sample of the Biossance and YTTP superberry. Wait, first I must check if I have a sample of the Biossance, I may have it.  I do prefer to sample first.

@l8totheparty  If there’s a Biossance full size product you know you want, check Biossance direct to see if they have any DS offers right now. For a while, they had a tea tree sample offer (oil, mask, and cleanser), as well as a couple other sample offers, if you bought $X of any product. I have a bunch of samples (foil and DS) from them now. 

@WinglessOne I'm obsessed with the Youth to the People Superberry Hydrate and Glow Oil. It's great for giving my skin a nice glow and the ingredients are soo good for your skin. <333

Recently I started using a sample of SUNDAY RILEY - Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Creamand I love the light texture and the cucumber-y smell, I also have been loving Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mLboth from my Play! boxes, which I plan to buy a FS of during the upcoming sale(s) when my current day/night creams run out.

On the other hand, I was super happy to try the CEO glow (also from a Play! box) and the Avocado glow mask beforehand, because I did not care for either. I was looking to add a vitamin C serum to my routine and I'm always down to try a new mask. The CEO glow serum left a weird residue on my skin- hard pass since I can be acne prone- so the search continues. The avocado mask was fine, but too perfumey for my taste and I'm just not great at incorporating sleeping masks into my routine even though I did buy a FS YTTP Dream mask

Ooohhh, what a fun yet tough question! I'm actually generally happy to work through samples, and not much impresses me enough to get me to buy, especially when I usually have half a dozen (or more...) other samples in the same category to use up lol. But, my tried and true list of stuff I have or will repurchase looks a bit like this:

Lancome L'Absolu Lacquer: I got a mini from a Sephora promo and instantly and immediately fell head over heels for these. Lightweight, glossy color that actually lasts (and lasts and lasts)!

Andalou Naturals Probiotic + C Renewal Cream: my HG winter moisturizer, rich without being too heavy for my oily skin

Smashbox Primerizer: my skin is oily but dehydrated, and this is an excellent extra layer of moisture for me

Exuviance AF Vitamin C20 Serum Capsules: I get better results in terms of glowy even skin with these than with any other Vit C I've tried. The price makes me cringe, so I keep testing other samples in between bottles, but nothing else ever compares.

Biobelle sheet masks: I'm not a sheet mask maven or even a fan, and I dislike many, or just find them to be something I tolerate for 20 minutes, but these are actually enjoyable for me. They are super thin and feel weightless on, fit well, and have low-to-no scent. I also scan ingredients for alcohol before using a mask, and IIRC, *all* of theirs are alcohol-free. I only look to sheet masks for extra hydration, and all I've tried from the brand delivers this admirably.

PTR Pumpkin Enzyme Mask: I use this once every couple of weeks, and can always tell it does an amazing job of clearing off the built-up gunk...immediately, all of my products soak in better, and my face just feels fresh and clean. I have other exfoliators and scrubs that I rotate through as well, but this will always be in my arsenal.

Omorovicza Ultramoor Mud Mask: The price makes me cringe, but I can usually find minis on eBay pretty cheap, so I try and keep one on hand for occasional use. This stuff is magic. Sure, it's a "just" clay mask, but it also somehow plumps my skin, minimizing fine lines and texture. And the results usually hang around for about 3 days. I love clay, and rotate through several masks without much loyalty, but this one will always be in my stash, even if I can't afford to use it as often as I'd like lol.

Bumble and Bumble Pret-A-Powder Tres Invisible Dry Shampoo with Pink Clay: the perfect balance for me of a little volume with excellent oil-fighting capabilities. I can use it all three days between washes and never worry about build-up or white residue, and it never dulls my shine. Zero product feel as well, which is a huge factor for me. I haven't actually bitten the bullet on a full size yet because I have entirely too much dry shampoo to use up first, but this has been a clear winner for me, miles above and beyond anything else I've tried.

Huh, that was way more than I realized, and I'm sure I forgot something(s) too. It was a fun exercise though! 

EDIT: yup, there are more lol

Laura Geller Lash Boss mascara: perfect mix of volume and length for my average length, averge fullness lashes. No clumps, no flakes, no spider legs. 

Cotz Natural Skin Tone SPF40: I was kinda shocked I liked this...it's a thick, silicone-y texture and I always though my HG sunscreen would be lightweight, but it feels so good going on, and most importantly, it never ever pills or streaks. It's also tinted, but sheers out to (almost) nothing, giving just the barest hint of evening out my various tones. Many days, just this and powder are good enough for my lazy style. 

Bareminerals Complexion Rescue: love the lightweight coverage and moisture for days when I want to even things out a bit more

All of which I haven't tried- makes me wonder what goodies I have lurking in my samples and trial sizes sitting on my shelf.

I love finding a keeper from a sample!

I love finding a keeper from a sample!

I received a decent-sized sample of R+co ACV (Apple cider vinegar) rinse from Beautylish in my last package. I gave it a try on a whim and LOVED it. It made my hair feel very clean, but not stripped and my scalp felt great too. TMI, but I get a flaky scalp now and again and this really helped. Just got the full-sized bottle yesterday. Oh! This stuff makes my curls pop, too!

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • Biossance and Youth to the People
  • 15588899313366324785765788725026.jpg
  • 15588902270744664982771398562528.jpg
testing