Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Use Ulta's *no exclusions* coupon sent to Platinum members at Sephora!

I am not sure if my situation is unique or if this is a storewide policy, but it may be worth checking into.  Ulta recently mailed their Platinum members a 20% off coupon with no exclusions, expiring on April 11th; obviously to compete with Sephora's upcoming Spring Sale.  There actually were a few exclusions on this one: Lancome, Clinique and fragrance, but otherwise all other Ulta brands were free game.  I mentioned having received this coupon to my local awesome Sephora manager and she said they would also honor the coupon as long as the items purchased were also sold at Ulta.  This gives you a chance to take advantage of 20% off and access all the inventory you could possibly want, if this is a problem at your local Ulta.

In the end, I still chose to shop at Ulta, because they had quite a few GWP's and I wanted to maintain my Platinum status for the year, along with earning the points towards cash back; but, I really appreciated having the option to choose!  

Re: Use Ulta's *no exclusions* coupon sent to Platinum members at Sephora!

I'm platinum at Ulta (I'm already Platinum through all of next year too) and received the 20% off everything, except fragrances, Clinique and Lancome. I went Monday afternoon and used it. Between the 20% off and some of my accumulated rewards points ($50) applied to my purchase I walked out with both Too Face Chocolate Bar palettes, Natural Matte palette, Sugar Pop palette, Lorac Pro palette, travel size Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector and a Real Techniques Sculpting Brush for $152.77 tax included. Without the discount and rewards the total would have been $257.88. Sephora needs to step up their game. I very seldom go to Sephora anymore because there is no incentive and each time they have their sale event I never get my percentage off. I called the last time and I got some lame excuse that I was past some cut off. 

Seems Ulta is trying to get folks to spend more with them, seeing as the discount is larger,  you get to redeem their points for actually $$$, and their GWP are much better.  

I spent a lot of my fun $$$ at ulta during their days of beauty sale.  If I had a 20% off coupon I'd most definitely buy from them instead.  

I haven't even spent $200 at Sephora so far this year.

I think the dates are interesting considering we know Sephora begins its sale one day after Ulta's coupon expires.  Folks know sephora is giving a smaller discount, so I'm sure most people who received the Ulta discount will buy what they can at ulta probably spending less at sephora.

I got my chic week card in the mail haven't even opened it.  All I need to know is here on BT.  LOL

Yes!!! I never used to bat a lash at Ulta, but in the last few years they've really stepped up their game and become more competitive.  I only need to spend $400 a year for their Platinum status and something about their discount seems a little more gracious.  No begging, pleading, pretty pleases involved- the lovely little mailer shows up, just because.  Well, as you mentioned, just because Sephora is having a sale as well 😉

I went in on Friday and scored 20% off rather than 15% on Algeninst, Too Faced, Becca and UD and walked away with 3 really nice GWP's, along with scoring points towards cash back.  Yes, please!  

The only reason I would have shopped at Sephora over Ulta with this 20% off coupon, would have been if they allowed me to use it on ALL brands carried at Sephora.  My reasoning for why they should consider allowing the exception is there are brands that Ulta carries that Sephora does not- by surrendering the coupon to Sephora, I am also surrendering my opportunity to shop those brands that draw me to Ulta (Lipstick Queen, Lorac, etc.).  Truly, I understand the fine print, but do you want me in your store?  Because, clearly I've been straying.  

And it's working, because I just placed an order with Ulta with that coupon.  

Pfft, I couldn't even get my Sephora to price match their own website!  There was an item on sale online that was full price at the store...needless to say I didn't purchase in store.  I don't have an Ulta in my state, so I always use these coupons for Ulta exclusive items.  

That's rough 😞  My store also price matches the Sephora website as if it were a standard thing.  

You'd think it would be.  Many stores (not just beauty) will price match their competitors, so it makes no sense why they wouldn't price match themselves.

This happened to me, too. Some Formula X stuff right before the holidays went on sale on the website before it did on stores and the SA/cashier just flat out told me no, they would not price match to Sephora's website prices. Which I thought was silly -- with the free Rouge shipping it doesn't cost me anything extra to walk out of the store and order something online; I assume it's better for stores to have customers buy things while they're there than just leaving and losing out on a sale to the website. Oh well. 

That's nice but I prefer cash back at ulta than reward points at Sephora.

Cash back plus GWP = win 🙂 

I chose to use the coupon at Ulta for this same reason, since they had all the items I wanted in stock.  If the items had not been available, I might have taken my Sephora up on their generous offer 🙂  I do love the cash back rewards! 

Ulta sends out different promotional coupons, like these. Being Platinum does not guarantee you will receive a no exclusion 20% off. It could be a lesser percentage with exclusions. Even if you are a basic member you could get a coupon, however not every member receives something, every time these coupons are sent out.

As for price matching coupons, it's always up to the store. Nordstrom does this, but doesn't advertise it.

I've been lucky enough to recieve a no exclusions coupon each time they're released, but yes, I've noticed not every Platinum member seems to get them. Often, an email containing the coupon will be sent out, after the mailer, to a larger sample of members.  Marketing at its best.   

I, too, get one each time they are sent out and I get the emails as well. The emails are nice because I have misplaced the coupon card a couple of times.

It might be good if they let you keep the coupon since Ulta's coupons are not reusable like Sephora's. Howver, if they take the coupon like ulta would, you'll be limited to only sephora products that Ulta carries... Le sigh... 

That's interesting that you posted this as I'm an Ulta newbie and got a 20% coupon and it excludes pretty much everything as far as I can tell. It reminds me of Macy's coupons. I mean, what's the point? All the exclusions make both companies look petty to me.

Ulta sent the no exclusion coupon to Platinum members (spend $400 in a calendar year?), which I'm hearing was also done randomly?  They send these special coupons out just before Sephora runs a promo, otherwise their standard 20% off coupon is full of exclusions.  I agree with what you're saying, "Hey!  Here's a coupon…that's good for absolutely nothing, except the drugstore stuff that we've marked up 20%!"   

My coupon didn't have any restrictions except for fragrance. Did you receive the one for Platinum members? I have not seen one for non- platinum so idk what that excludes. 

Yes, it was for Platinum: 20% off, no exclusions, with the exception of fragrance, Lancome and Clinique.

Mini, I can take a picture of mine since I'm not Plat yet at Ulta. It is a 10% for prestige brands on mine, 20% on everything else (of course not to the excluded provisions).

Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 40 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors