Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

The Question Thread 2.0!!

Have a question about a setting spray, foundation, concealer color, or an eyeshadow palette?? Look no further than here! Post your questions here about anything and everything makeup, skin, and hair related. Our community is great about helping out gals and guys in need of an answer. Don't be shy - ask away :).

skincare 101 thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Skincare-101-Discussions-Questions-and-All/m-p/27192...

Makeup 101 thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup-Is-Life/Makeup-101-Discussion-Questions-and-All/m-p/2784774

The Hair thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Best-Hair-Ever/THE-HAIR-THREAD/m-p/2768486#M6666

Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!

@makeitup305 @SportyGirly125  Do you use brush for applying those complexion products (Hollywood filter and Dior backstage) or beauty blender?

wondering if I should buy any of the complexion brushes that are currently on sale.

RE: Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!

My favorite way to apply Dior foundation is with my fingers then I use the large Sephora Airbrush (it’s on sale, short squat brush) around my hairline to blend since I’m so blonde and gently over the face in case there are any streaks. The finger method works best with dewy and satin finish foundations, not so well with natural/ matte—for that I think a beauty blender is the best way to go for Dior, they have a thin consistency and high pigment ratio that make it kind of difficult to get a smooth application with a brush (imo).

@naturalooks15 I use a small stipple brush from ELF to blend the  Flawless Filter but mostly because I'm lazy and forget to wet my sponge but a sponge works just as well. Same with the Dior foundation- I usually use a brush because it's more convenient since my makeup isn't in my bathroom. I've used a sponge before and it gives a more sheer coverage since it absorbs some of the product. 

@naturalooks15 For flawless filter I just use the wand it comes with and apply to to my face and then blend my foundations with beauty oil on a dish and apply with a sponge because on work days I’m in a hurry to get ready 

When I have more time I use a beauty blender or Artis 10 brush 

Has anyone tried Overtone conditioners? I've never dyed my hair but I think this would be a fun thing to try. I probably wouldn’t use it all over my head, just ombré at the ends or some pieces on the underside of my hair. Does it take a long time to fade like other semi permanent colors?

Hi! I’ve tried the Overtone. I have naturally dark hair with blonde balayage and I bought the dark purple for brown hair. It really only showed up on the blonder parts but it was VIBRANT. The brown hair had a purple tint but wasn’t as noticeable. I was so so impressed though. It comes with a maintenance conditioner too so you can keep up the color. The tub of the deep color was huge though so you can get quite a few uses out of it if you only want to use it on parts. Mine lasted for almost a month without using any of the conditioners - washing about 3x a week!

Re: RE: Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!

That looks really nice @BeardieMama ! I love the dragon cameo too! Did it stain your hair at all or did it all rinse out eventually?

Haha thanks! That’s Mikey Waffles. And no it didn’t stain my blonde at all which I was REALLY surprised about. The stuff totally will dye your hands putting it on though so wear gloves. I learned that the hard way 🙂

Haha I like the name @BeardieMama ! Thanks for the tip! I might order a sample or two of the conditioner to try out!

Anyone knows if there is any difference between these two microfiber towels? One works any better than the other?

DEVACURL - DEVATOWEL™ Anti-Frizz Microfiber Towel

and Aquis Lisse Luxe Hair Towel Cloudy Berry

@naturalooks15 I have both of them! I prefer the Aquis one! They are very similar - I do think the deva curl one is slightly softer to the touch - like if you touched them both the deva curl one feels higher quality -  but the Aquis one absorbs water a bit quicker which for me is the more important thing . You can find the Aquis ones on sale a lot as well - they are always in like the fabfitfun add ons and such. They are both thin - the deva curl one is slightly thinner. 

@Kim888  This helps. I probably need to look for deals/ sale on aquis ones. 

I bought two on amazon (years ago) that are so different than the one I bought in Sephora that it makes me not want to buy from Amazon but I'll search up other places. 

@naturalooks15  The Deva and Aquis towels are made of the same kinds of fabrics: 80% polyester, 20% nylon. The standard size Aquis towel is 3” longer and 1” narrower than the Deva towel. The only big difference might be the pile texture of each towel. 

I haven’t seen the Devacurl towel in person, so I’m not sure how thick/plush the pile is. I have several plush microfiber hair towels I bought from TJMaxx and Marshalls—the $5-8 ones they have once in a while, not the more abundant hair turbans—to use as body towels (I don’t like big bulky terrycloth body towels). I never use them on my hair because their long pile texture always snags my coils. Now I need to see and feel the Deva towel in person for comparison. 

My hair loves Aquis towels. They have a very low pile—they’re almost a flat nubby texture—so they never snag and break my hair. I actually prefer the waffle texture Aquis towels for my hair: those seem to work best for my curls, and they have the same low pile texture. I have 3 of the waffle towels and one of the Lise luxe towels. I also have an Aquis hair turban but rarely use it, only because I rarely wrap my wet hair up in a towel/turban anyway. 

Can anyone recommend a setting powder for someone with dry skin that's fair in color? I'm hitting a wall where it either looks way too cakey (this is happening a lot) or it's too dark for my skintone. I use Laura Mercier to set my eyes, but to use it to dust my face it's too heavy for some reason (and I'm using a light hand and not that much powder). I was looking at Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free TranslucentJOUER COSMETICS - Soft Focus Hydrate + Set Powder

I read from reviews that the Jouer is kind of dark and my local store doesn't have it in stock for me to swatch. As we are approaching the upcoming Spring sale, and also the summer months where foundation just loves to come apart on me, I need a good setting powder. Thank you in advance!

@niki172 - it's way after the sale but I also want to chi...

@niki172 - it's way after the sale but I also want to chime in about the Hourglass powder. I have extremely dry, fair skin and it works wonders for me. Foundation lasts mostly all day.

Re: @niki172 - it's way after the sale but I also want to chi...

Thanks @Nickelliebear1 I wound up buying one of the mini Hourglass powders to try out during the sale so it worked out just fine :).

It’s after the sale, but if you’re still looking the La Mer loose powder and Koh Gen Do loose powder are really great for dry skin and won’t oxidize

@niki172 get Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucent

it is perfect for dry skin and blends beautifully in the skin. I have light skin that is dry and it doesn’t go on cakey and has no color. 

Thanks @SportyGirly125 . Did you have issues with foundation separating also? It likes to happen around my nose/chin/upper lip area, and it's driving me nuts lol. Plus I'm trying to extend my makeup wear time in the process and the summer heat/humidity can ruin your makeup quite quickly in the Midwest.

@niki172 I have no issues with separation at all. I set my whole face with powder.  I live in CA and we have random heat waves.  I also make sure to use MAC prep and prime skin refined zone where I get oily and MAC blot powder on top of oily areas and have no issues.  Then use the Hourglass under my eyes and nose area and Charlotte Tilbury Flawless powder everywhere else   

@SportyGirly125  so do you like the CT powder better for the face?

6 Replies
testing