Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

THANK YOU Sephora, Drunk Elephant, Living Proof, Maison Margiela & Sol de Janeiro!!!

WOW thank you so very much @SephoraBIC@DrunkElephant@MaisonMargiela, Living Proof and @SoldeJaneiro for this amazing gratis that just arrived! I am looking so forward to trying out some new and exciting products and reporting back. The Maison is already in use...and is the perfect spicy-lemony scent I need for spring🍋🌱 Love the test strip included with the Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Triple Detox Shampoo, I can already guess the condition of the water, so it's going to be fun to see the results! I have not tried the DE A-Passoni Retinol Cream yet, so after a bit more research on how to introduce my skin carefully to retinols (after a recent not-so-good intro :D), I will report back. So excited that a baby B-Hydra is included in this box as well! As for the new Coco Cabana...my skin is going to LOVE this hydration!

ETA: First DE Passioni exposure on Mask of the Week challenge thread:

Spoiler

WOW WOW WOW!!!WOW WOW WOW!!!Close-up.JPG 

Thank you @TeamBIC@KatieBT!!! Yep-I think this will help my hair!Yep-I think this will help my hair!

Re: THANK YOU Sephora, Drunk Elephant, Living Proof, Maison Margiela & Sol de Janeiro!!!

@eshoe, thank you for updating!  I should as well. 

I also love the LIVING PROOF - Perfect Hair Day Triple Detox Shampoo

- I use it about every third shampoo.  I use a lot of leave in hair oil and gel in my curly hair and this gets rid of build up.  I do deep condition after.

Tonight I am using my DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream

- I trade it off with my prescription retinol.  I have horrible cystic acne that my medicine keeps st bay. Believe it or not, this is gentler than the prescription brand! 💜

This was really a generous gift from Sephora.  I wish I could send a thank you card to someone via snail mail!

Re: THANK YOU Sephora, Drunk Elephant, Living Proof, Maison Margiela & Sol de Janeiro!!!

Thanks for he update @curlychiquita

I just read over over some of the reviews on the Passioni (I hadn’t read anything until now). It seems visibly smaller pores are pretty common with this, I had no idea retinol could do that-a very nice unexpected bonus! Since I have already noticed it, I’m pretty excited about what will happen as I increase frequency of use. 

I agree, sending a snail mail thank you is an excellent idea!

After having some time to use the products for awhile, I wanted to share my thoughts here in case anyone is interested.

The standout for me has been the LIVING PROOF - Perfect Hair Day Triple Detox Shampoo. The first time I tried it, I was concerned because it cleansed my hair SO well that it squeaked. I was afraid it would be too drying, but moved forward by using a deep conditioning mask as @KatieBT suggested. I have tried 3 different masks, the Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector 3.3 oz / 100 mLAMIKA - Soulfood Nourishing Mask,and the Kenra Platinum Luxe One Leave-In (the Amika worked best for me).

My water is hard, as evidenced by the little test strip, but I attributed my increasingly coarse hair texture to stress. I have used the shampoo once every other week, and the results have been outstanding for me. My hair is not only softer but even a bit swingy. Now I'm not saying that I could stand-in for a hair model, but for me - there is a noticeable difference in lightness and buoyancy. This should last me a loooooong time, but when I get close to running out, I will be purchasing another tube. 

I've used the Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Under the Lemon Trees 3.4oz/ 100mLToilette daily, and enjoy the citrusy spiciness of it. I can almost detect a bit of ginger as well; it's a great antidote to overly sweet or cloying perfumes. I wish the scent lasted a bit longer on me, but I've yet to find a perfume that lasts more than a few hours so it's not too concerning. One thing I do appreciate is that it lacks the powdery background a few of the MM scents have which I find overwhelming. I may pick up a rollerball of this after I run out, because it's nice to layer with some of my other scents.

The DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol Creamis the product that I was most excited about, and after a few weeks, thought I should give a mini update. @naturalooks15 and @missjeanie have been such great resources as I've been trying this out. My schedule: 1x week for 2 weeks, then 2x week for 2 weeks, and now I am starting my 3x week for ? weeks. So far, I have not experienced dryness or flaky skin. Most noticeable has been an increased overall sensitivity to wash-off masks. My skin is not sensitive, and it's not a huge deal - both were new masks and not ones in my normal routine.

As far as a difference in my skin: I seem to notice it most the morning after application. My skin seems a bit brighter, my pores maybe a bit smaller. It fades over the day, so I am curious to see what kind of effect upping the dose will have. It does seem to exaggerate some of the texture on my skin, not sure what that is all about but I did notice it when I used TO's Granactive Retinoid. I am going to be updating on @naturalooks15 thread from now on as she has been very active in keeping everyone updated:) 

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Detailed-Review-A-Passioni-Retinol-from-Drunk-Elephant/m-p/4513492#M85510

Thank you again Sephora for the opportunity to try these fun products!

@eshoe  Love this update! I was going back and forth on the LP detox shampoo, esp with first impressions being that it's just too strong, but the masking tip sounds great! There's a mini size that I think will work out perfect for me 🙂

I'm intently following all the retinol use and discussion. I'm not jazzed about throwing my skin into a tizzy for several weeks but you all make it sound like the end result might be worth it...I've been using the retinol alternatives (the Biossance Squalane + Phyto-Retinol Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLand also OLEHENRIKSEN - Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum)on and off and taking some advice from your DE threads into practice. Will using retinol result in more sensitive skin the long run? 

@MissPuff  I hope it's okay to step into the discussion!  I think my skin is more sensitive to sunlight as a result of using the A-Passioni.  The sun's not at its strongest point of the year yet, so it just results in a little pinkish glow for me (which I love, but it probably isn't good for me.)

I have a  hunch that if you do try the A-P, using it only once a week, you may not have any trouble, especially since your skin is already use to the Biossance serum.  I think mixing it with the B-Hydra that comes with it is key to keeping the irritation down, and following by a moisturizer (I use the Protini.)  I don't use a toner either, fyi.

I'm still amazed, weeks down the line, what those three  products do for my skin. I've never used anything that got rid of my rough red cheek bumps that quickly or well (I'm not even 100% sure what causes them.)

@Ispend2much6  The more the merrier! You, @eshoe , and @naturalooks15  have all been so helpful on this retinol journey! I just realized I almost never look at directions on serums, it's always just full speed ahead! I've seen everyone mixing the serum with a hydrating serum, that seems to be the way to go. I miiiiight break into the DE soon then, especially reading the comments that it helps with random skin bumps! I've got two that just never go away, I wonder if the DE will make a difference?

@MissPuff    I have the bumps for years.  They may wax and wane, but they're always there.  Those are the ones that DE made to almost completely disappear after the first use.  They do come back though because my cause is internal.  @eshoe @naturalooks15 

Thank you for sharing @Ispend2much6 -it is SO helpful for me, too, so I appreciate your thoughts! I’ve spent a good portion of the past 2 days outside and made sure to wear sunscreen and a hat. I am wondering what will happen if/when you stop using the retinol, if the little bumps would return. I have 2-3 small bumps I’ve started watching now that I know it is supposed to help minimize that type of texture as well.

@eshoe  What I have are mildly raised red bumps the size of pimples that flatten into red patches.  That entire area on my cheeks combines to be a large red area; it consists of visible broken capillaries also. 

What happens when I stop using the combo of B-Hydra and A-P is they come back.  I know that moisturing my skin deeply helps them, but something else is at work when I use those two together. 🙂

Wow I am pretty surprised they return @Ispend2much6. I guess I am confused as to how retinol works; so I just did a quick search (now that I’ve been putting it on my face for over 2 months, ha!). So it prompts skin cells to turn over and die rapidly to promote new cell growth. I can see how this would mean any smoothing of the skin (and wrinkles) would subside if use is discontinued. I kinda hoped that any small bumps would fade completely but doesn’t sound like that is the case! @naturalooks15 am I off on this?

@Ispend2much6  Good to know that it is helping you with texture as well. It has helped me also. Hope you figure out what’s causing those red spot for you. It’s surprising that they come back? How many days without Retinol did you go when they came back?

@eshoe  Yes, Retinol helps cell turn over and also apparently helps heal them. In some weeks where I had redness and peeling, I used Retinol just 1xweek (I went 5-6 days without any active). My Whitehead kind of bumps (1 big one on the nose and3-4 small ones) are all gone and have not returned. 

There was red bump (more like raised skin) is slowly flattening so we will see.

what I think (and I am not an expert) happens is once the cells turn over, existing things are gone but if you are prone to that kind of growth or something in rest of your routine is causing them, new ones will form if you don’t use Retinol. 

Ahhhh yes that makes sense @naturalooks15, thank you for the explanation!

Thanks @MissPuff! I love the LP and really didn’t have much in terms of expectations, so it’s like a double win for me. 

I am not not sure about any long-term sensitivity; however I suspect that any benefits from use would subside once discontinued. I really have no idea, it’s just a guess. My pores are noticeably smaller the day after use, not the 2nd or 3rd...

When I was using the SR undiluted for two weeks straight (did NOT do my homework obviously), the skin on my cheeks and temples hurt. Like a sunburn. I received this gratis right around the same time I put two and two together, and was a little scared. But @naturalooks15‘s thread was a HUGE help and I waited until my skin calmed down. Took close to three weeks, but it stopped.

While I haven’t had any physical skin sensitivity to the touch with the DE, my skin is definitely reacting differently to certain ingredients. Which I would suspect would also fade if I stopped using it. So, that may be a sliver of an answer to your question...

Great to know @eshoe that it helps with pores and I am so glad my experience helped you.  And yes @Guessgal  pores and hyperpigmentation are my biggest concerns. So I will be paying attention to see if it helps with either or both.

Thanks for the update @eshoe  I’m surprised to hear that it helps with pores! I really need help with that area haha. My mom has been interested in DE A-Passioni lately and I’ve been referring back to this thread to relay insights from you guys 😊 will def check out the other post you linked too!

@Guessgal I didn’t read any of the reviews on the Passioni until last night, and I was surprised to see quite a few mentioned smaller pores! It’s enough of a difference for me to see, which is impressive and might mean I will have to work this into my skincare budget😄

@eshoe  Thank you for the update. I am really happy to know about the Living Proof shampoo. Squeaky clean scares me too but good to know that it wasn't drying. I might give it a try as my tween daughter's scalp & hair just gets oily 2nd day itself. Only shampoo working for her was DHS brand (from dermstore) so I might either get a sample or buy the trial size first. 

@naturalooks15   I have dry, dry hair and an oily scalp, and usually could stand washing my hair every couple of days due to my scalp.  I picked up my Olaplex shampoo and conditioner that I received last year as a gratis from Sephora, and I was reminded how well it works in extending the time needed between shampoos!  I went an extra two days and my hair was not greasy and separated.  I don't know how they do that, but it works.  @eshoe  Didn't you get that gratis also?   What did you think of the Olaplex?

I did not receive that gratis @Ispend2much6, but I do have the Olaplex 3. It’s not my first go-to and I don’t notice that it does much for my hair. I’ve heard from others here that it works best on hair that is damaged from heat/styling. I only use heat and/or style my hair 1-2 times a week, so my hair is pretty normal. It’s the hard water buildup that I have had (and apparently didn’t know how damaging it was) which can change the shape of the hair shaft by causing the little tiny scales to stand up. 

I normally use Sachajuan Cleansing Cream and SACHAJUAN - Moisturizing Conditionerif that helps any:)

I was going to pick up the DS and by the time I got around to it it was OOS online @naturalooks15. Definitely the way to go and I’m glad they make one.

3 Replies
testing