Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Sephora points will now expire?

Did anyone else get an email saying that Insider Points will now expire if you don't make a purchase or point redemption for 18 months?

* Redeeming your free birthday gift in store will reset the clock

* Sephora will send you an email if the deadline is approaching

Re: Sephora points will now expire?

It does bother me!  I have a ton of points.  I don't redeem them because (a) the points items aren't items I want (after all I am paying $100 for the itty bitty tube of whatever, it better be something I want), (b) I already have the points item in full size, (c) there have been a couple of the elusive bzillion point items that I want that are sold out before I even know they were uploaded.  It's taken me years to accumulate this number of points.  I don't have the time or the desire to "stalk" Sephora for the new limited number of items to come out so I can get one, so there my points sit, doing nothing.

Maybe instead of taking points away, they should change the items to full size with a higher point count or change to a gift certificate program.  Guess I'll be losing my points.  Why should I spend points on a teeny tiny tube of _____ when I can go to the store and get a sample of the same _____ without using any points?

My opinion.

Wait, it's the points we have to spend in 18 months?  

@Madeline7 Yeah okay that makes sense then.  There's always something that catches my eye during the year though. 

I wonder if they've added this because of us point hoarders who are looking to score a trip or big reward?  Are they trying to cut back on the number of rewards then? 

Nope, you will have the points forever as long as you make a purchase or point redemption every 18 months

RE: Sephora points will now expire?

I didn't get the email yet, but this is disappointing to hear! Maybe they will start ramping up their rewards system then.

Re: RE: Sephora points will now expire?

Unless you don't redeem OR purchase anything for 18 months, your points shouldn't expire 🙂

Hahahahahaha!   Well MY points are safe!  

*wipes tear and catches breath from laughing so hard.  

The sheer willpower it would take to not purchase something for 18 months in itself would be a feat for me. Totally not gonna happen. Although I'm sure hubs wishes it would 😂 That sucks for people who have been saving them for years though and went on a beauty hiatus. I wonder if it's negotiable?

I'm not sure about negotiating, although redeeming your birthday gift will reset the clock (and you don't need to make a purchase to get it in store), so you could always do that if you can remember 

I love Sephora, I really do, however it's frustrating to see this even though it won't affect me.  

People have always complained that it's a bad points system and that Ulta's is better (which is pretty obvious), so what does Sephora do? Go and change the points system so it takes one thing from Ulta, aka points that expire.. Lol, aka the only bad thing about Ulta's points.  Why though?? I don't understand the reasoning behind this.

@sabrinas

But on the other hand, Ulta's points never expire while you are Platinum, and since it only takes $450 to get there, it's not too difficult for many to attain that level. I'm not seeing a similar "Rouge exclusion" on Sephora's new terms, so Ulta still wins IMHO.

I would imagine there is a decent base of shoppers-who-used-to-be-active-but-aren't-anymore, and Sephora would love to write those points off.

@RGbrown oh yes good point about that.  I'm sure there are a lot of accounts on here which do have points  but the people have been inactive.  Also, to be fair, who actually goes 1.5 years without buying anything from Sephora?! I mean come on! Lol

Those are great points @RGbrown. I forgot that points never expire as long as Platinum status is renewed.

Looks like they updated the Beauty Insider program terms on July 10th.

points.JPG

Full terms and conditions: http://www.sephora.com/terms-conditions-beauty-insider

It seems like a fairly reasonable change.  The emails says that if 18 months is approaching, they will email you a reminder.

Also according to Twitter redeeming your birthday gift will reset the clock

@Madeline7 Yeah, it's certainly not going to effect me unless they close Canadian Sephora operations, but it's definitely a good thing to know. I didn't get the email but was happy you flagged it! 

@Madeline7, I just received this email as well.

Madeline7 wrote:

Did anyone else get an email saying that Insider Points will now expire if you don't make purchases for 18 months?

Can you screen shot your email? I didn't get an email about it.

So my apologizes but I am not having the easiest time with this new message board system. I have not made a purchase in a long while but have not received an email. But just so I understand correctly, my over 8,000 points will expire in 18 months from my last purchase? Does redemption count towards your date of expiration?

It's 18 months with no points related activity at all. Purchases, redeeming points, and collecting the birthday gift all appear to count as "activity". My understanding is that this 18 months clock begins this month, as they're sending out the emails. And we're told we'll get email reminders if we're getting close to our points expiring. 

Will do when I'm back at my desk

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • points.JPG
testing