Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Sephora points will now expire?

Did anyone else get an email saying that Insider Points will now expire if you don't make a purchase or point redemption for 18 months?

* Redeeming your free birthday gift in store will reset the clock

* Sephora will send you an email if the deadline is approaching

Re: Sephora points will now expire?

I guess my (final) question is: who are all of these accounts, quickly defending/rationalizing Sephora's new policy? Do you have something to gain, actively seeking out dissenting posts to reply to?

@Aammy

Sephora made a business decision to remove a liability from their books. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. No, the folks rationalizing don't gain anything...they have simply come to peace with the change.

Rewards program that let you keep points indefinitely are slowly dying out. Ulta is 12 months, unless you are Platinum (but that requires, yup, spending annually). Laura Geller is 12 months. Plenti is 2 years. Walgreens is 6 months. 18 months for Sephora is better than some but worse than others.

Sure, there will be some folks affected by this, which frankly, is the whole point... Sephora wants old points from folks that don't shop anymore to be gone. Those that notice or care should contact CS if/when their points disappear, and perhaps Sephora will be willing to grant exceptions (or perhaps not...who knows what they'll do in 18 months). But calling folks out here for being ok with the new terms isn't going to make Sephora change their mind on it.

This isn't acceptable. I don't care what their PR team has formulated as a justification for the change. It's not a burden for them to keep track of inactive accounts. 

I can't remember ever going 18 months without making a Sephora purchase, but this isn't exactly unreasonable. If it happened, I don't feel I/anyone should be penalized. And the excuse of "just redeem your birthday gift" is yet another ploy for the company to work its way into your life on a regular basis.

Anytime a company gives you something for 'nothing' it is of course a ploy to keep you coming back, these are businesses. The way Sephora is running its program is in line with recent legislation as the result of the recent air miles disaster when they tried to expire points. (At least in Canada) this points system is a loyalty rewards system. If a customer hasn't had a transaction with Sephora in 18-months, including obtaining your free birthday gift, then I don't consider that a loyal customer. They need to budget their financial exposure on points and focus this towards active and loyal customers. If ditching those who don't transact once in 18 months in order to maintain or enhance a rewards program for loyal members is what they need to do, and they are compliant with the necessary regulations, then I'm all for it. 

@Madeline7 Thanks for posting about this - b/c I do not believe I got the e-mail.  Sephora responded when I asked for clarification just to make triple sure b/c I couldn't believe me eyes!  Here's the response I got:

@Madeline7 is correct, points will expire if your account is inactive for 18 months, however we will keep you updated on the status of your points by sending you an email if you are approaching 18 months with no points activity and you are subscribed to receive our emails. 

Also, any points activity will keep your points current (this includes redeeming a reward of any value and also includes redeeming the birthday gift)!

Bisous, 

Sian

@hotness105 🙂

Hi everyone!

Sorry if there is any confusion about this recent update. Rest assured, we will keep you updated on the status of your points by sending you an email if you are approaching 18 months with no points activity and you are subscribed to receive our emails.

Any points activity will keep your points current - this includes redeeming a reward of any value and also includes redeeming the birthday gift!

Hope this helps 🙂

Bisous,

Sian

Wow! Sephora keeps getting worse and worse !

this will be my LAST year of rouge or well technically next year.

im less than impressed by the service that I've already started to shop from other brands and dept stores that sell my fav brands.

I find this becoming pretty standard with many points programs and think 18 months is fair, as long as you're using your card your points won't expire.

StyleLynn
I find this becoming pretty standard with many points programs and think 18 months is fair, as long as you're using your card your points won't expire

-May I ask how you've arrived at the decision that this is "fair"?

I'm not crazy about this plan.  I've been Rouge for a few years and have accumulated about 4k points, but I don't find much that I want to use my points on and the "big ticket" things that I do want are always gone.  They need to increase the availability if they want us to use our points.  I'm not going to use them for things I don't like, don't want and/or don't suit my needs.

I don't think this is unreasonable. 18 months is a long time. Most of us will at least redeem the birthday gift once a year. So that already kept the account activated. 

And if the account has been inactive for 18months, I would say it's safe to assume that person decided not to buy from Sephora anymore. 

toxie

I don't think this is unreasonable. 18 months is a long time. Most of us will at least redeem the birthday gift once a year. So that already kept the account activated.
And if the account has been inactive for 18months, I would say it's safe to assume that person decided not to buy from Sephora anymore.

-And if they *didn't* decided not to buy from Sephora any more? If they were just out of the country? My disagreement isn't to protect the majority of us who shop at Sephora regularly; it's to protect people who have earned their points and just happen to go more than a year and a half without buying cosmetics. We all have enough makeup to last a lifetime. Sephora is punishing those who don't routinely deposit cash in their accounts. If you earned the points, you should keep them, sans an 18 month tax. 

Just when I started to hoard my points they do this to us!! HOW RUDE, but I guess I purchase frequently enough that the clock will reset itself?

I guess that it really isn't that bad.  I mean, the chances of making a purchase is very high.  Redeeming a bday gift? I think that a lot of us wouldn't not redeem it.

I feel like this change is geared more towards less frequent shoppers.

Agreed, I don't think its unreasonable 🙂

There was regulation in Canada passed recently after the air miles fiasco that said points can only expire after a certain period of account inactivity so this does have a ring of truth to it 

@Madeline7 Can you edit your original post and include the e-mail you were sent?  I always buy stuff, but I think on principle points shouldn't expire.  Thanks!

I was scared.. until I saw the "no point activity for 18 months or more" thing. 😬

I havent recieved this email yet either. 

I don't have an issue with this, personally, since it's unlikely I won't redeem or buy anything from Sephora for 18 months...there's always something to buy. Even if I stopped buying all new releases and stopped wearing makeup, I still need cleanser, hand cream, tweezers, etc.

A lot of loyalty programs are set up the same way, off the top of my head I think Aeroplan is the same. If you do not collect or redeem any points within 2 years, your points will expire. I was done with Aeroplan, so the day before my points expired, I redeemed for a leaf blower for DH and the remaining to a cat shelter since I didn't have enough to book a flight.

I think it's completely fair that redeeming your birthday gift will reset the clock... if redeemed in store, that costs nothing and to me, that's just a small amount of account maintenance to ensure points are good for another 18 months.

42 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • points.JPG
testing