Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

@blackkitty2014 - The red puts me off too, that is why I am still thinking if I really need it 😉 lol..

Anyway Tom is calling my $$$ too so 😉

I'm undecided on these. I don't love the red ferrules with that Sakura print.

I'm also not a huge fan of goat hair, so I might have to pass.

they look more like a holiday set to me...

@Mochapj, what don't you like about goat hair? I'm just starting my brush collection and don't have any goat hair brushes yet.  I'd love to hear (or read) your opinion on them.

@angelKiss24 I know you didn't ask me but I am going to put my 2 cents out there, I hope you don't mind. 

I really prefer goat and goat/squirrel mixed brushes for face powders. They say that if you have dry skin then you will like squirrel more and if you are oily then goat is better. I have quite a few Chikohodo and Koyudo full squirrel brushes (Z-1, MK-2, etc) and never reach for them, I just find that since I don't use a foundation that completely dries down, the brush gets gross fast. This can be remedied by wiping the brush on a microfiber cloth but it still needs frequent washing. 

I do really enjoy squirrel blush and highlight brushes though. I can't get enough cheek brushes and most of mine are squirrel. 

I really think that Hakuhodo makes the best white goat brushes, Tanseido is a close second but those are harder to get. 

As long as the goat brushes are saikoho or better then, unless you have a super sensitive face, the brushes will definitely be soft enough.

*When I talk about goat brushes I am talking about white goat brushes. I do not like dyed goat hair 95% of the time. It makes the brushes rough.

Love your insight into this as well! Chikuhodo's website did say goat hair is better for oily skin.

What are the levels of quality? I assume Sokoho - Saikoho - *more tiers* - Kihitsu?

@angelKiss24the high end after Saikoho is Saibikoho, this is what feels like teddy bear hair 😉

It is interesting what lysbainich said about oily vs dry. I am oily but dislike goat.  But I don't wear foundation, so my brushes get used for eye and blush and powder only.

@angelKiss24 Kihitsu is a brand. The brand Koyudo makes their brushres. Koyudo brushes are available on cooljapannow (google that and it is the first result). I went to Japan this spring (the first time since I became brush obsessed) and got to go to the Hakuhodo store, saw the whole Koyudo, Chikuhodo and Mizuho (another brand that is okay, not as good as Koyudo, Chikuhodo, and Hakuhodo) lines. If you ever go to LA then you can visit the Hakuhodo showroom there.  Anyway my point to that was to say that I really think that Hakuhodo has the best brushes overall. My sister, who doesn't care about brushes, agreed. I am really loving their new undyed goat/squirrel mix brushes. They are such good quality and you get the softness of the squirrel but the durability of goat. Their white goat eye brushes are my favorites 

If you want to learn a lot about brushes then head over to the site that dioradict referenced. sweetmakeuptemptations is a wealth of knowledge and the comment section has a lot of great info in it as well. Sonia (the writer of the site) has the best pics and comparisons out there.

@angelKiss24- sorry to butt in. There is this site 'sweetmakeuptemptations' that explains about the goat hair types. I usually refer here since I cant remember the names 😞

You can probably find the link which has a pic too.

Saibikoho (Chest)
Saibikoho hair is selected from Saikoho only the finest soft hairs. So its soft like squirrel
Because of that it has a rare material, and it is very expensive.
Acquisition is difficult

Saikoho (Chest)
Saikoho has softer and more delicate hair than that of Sokoho.
It is hard to find and quite rare and expensive.

Sokoho (Chest)
Sokoho is long, thin, and soft.

Tankoho (Area ?)
It's shorter, thinner and more delicate than Sokoho.

Hakutotsuho (Shoulder and Forefoot side)
It has moderate elasticity and durability.

Ototsuho (Shoulder)
The short and thin Ototsuho has a nice texture, elasticity and coloration.

Jotsumeho (Stomach and legs)
Jotsumeho is rather rough and elastic, suitable for firm brushing.

Saichoho (Back)
Saichoho is similar to Sokoho but slightly rougher.
Easy to form a full shape and excels at coloration.

(Kanji?) Otoho (hair between back and stomach)
It is perfect for applying makeup on complicated areas such as around nostril.
It is usually inexpensive compared to other goat hairs

Yano (Tail)
Yano is water-resistant and suitable for liquid-based products.

Thank you! I'm bookmarking that site for sure! I'll be heading over there for some brush education now 😂

@angelKiss24 it's mostly a personal preference.  Some people prefer goat, some prefer squirrel, some prefer synthetics.

I find goat hair (at least the grade that would be used for these brushes) a bit more coarse and rough than I would prefer for my face.

I have several Tom Ford goat hair brushes (which are made by Hakuhodo) and I'm not a fan of their scratchiness.  I also have some very high grade Kihitsu made Saibikoho goat hair brushes that are soft as teddy bear fur that I like more, but I can guarantee that is not the type of hair they'll be using at this price point. In between those I have Chikuhodo Takumis, which are ok, but I still prefer squirrel.

For the price, I prefer squirrel, as it is softer on my skin and I feel I can manipulate it better.

I wish these types of brushes were available where I live so I can go and play with them. I'm making a trek to Seattle this weekend and hopefully I can hit a Tom Ford counter to  touch the brushes and get a feel for them. Thank you for the detailed response!

Btw, I searched for Kihitsu brushes and O.M.G. how beautiful!! 😍 

I feel the same, but I still would have purchased this years set if the handles matched the previous collection since I have a sick need to collect them all.  However, since these are goat hair and non-matching handles I can easily pass.

I must admit I am kind of disappointed.  Last years set had beautiful black handles with blue squirrel hair if I remember correctly (mine are still new in box).  I do not like the red handles at all and also don't like that the hair is goat and not squirrel.  

But I am also relieved at that same time because this is an easy pass for me so that means I will have more money for whatever Wayne Goss releases this holiday. =).

TY! I love it and will grab it, although I have last years set still unused! I can't resist LE. 

The white and red are unlike anything I have. 🙂

Thx @dioradict! I don't know how I feel about this. Not sure if red is my color 😉 Somebody pls tell me this set is no good so I won't have to think about it lol 😉

That design is so pretty!! I wonder if it'll get rubbed off with daily use though?  

Angelkiss, that's unlikely. They are lacquered handles, so the design is well protected

Good to know, thank you!

Ya know what, this is totally down my alley and I think I need ALL of those in my collection.  Depending on price, I think I'll grab this set :).

The Sakura Beautylish brushes from last year were priced at $215.

1,985 Replies
testing