Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

Thank you for the details you provided, @blushnglow. I think a second Moyenne wouldn’t be the best for me. I never would have thought of the petite Smokey to cover the lash line...I now know how to use the purples in my KA palette!

@eshoe I also own the Surratt brush line and happened to see your question 

there is quite a difference between smoky grande and moyenne, size wise. Tbh grande is so large that I actually don’t use it for my eyes but as a highlight brush. Their actual highlight brush works fine but is a little larger and dense than I prefer, while the smoky grande is a looser bound candle shape.

While i own all the brushes, classifique moyenne is the one I own multiples of. Whether you should buy another or buy smoky is probably dependant on how you wear makeup. Smoky isn’t just for smoky eyes but is generally good at diffused, washes of colour. Classifique I find better for packing and shading.

hope that helps. 

@Mochapj thank you very much for your reply. I was wondering if the grande would be too big for my eyes, the medium is even a bit large but it gets plenty of use. I haven’t used the Smokey brush for sheer washes of color, thank you for this tip as well!

RE: Love for Brushes

I really like the Real Techniques Brushes they have many, many kinds. They are also so adorable too!!

New dilemma - I've been traveling quite a bit and I'm apprehensive with taking along my expensive brushes. I've been getting better about packing, so I mostly carry on which is comforting that my belongings are with me, but I'd freak out if I lost my good brushes. Maybe I'm being paranoid. Does anyone have a separate set of brushes for travel?

@Mochapj@blackkitty2014

@AMK721 I won’t travel with my Chikuhodo Z brushes, or really any squirrel brushes, mostly because I don’t want to risk damaging them. I very rarely check luggage (if it won’t fit in my carry-ons, it stays home), but I’ve had a couple instances where hotel housekeeping literally dumped my brushes out of a hotel-provided glass onto the bathroom counter and left them there. 😡 Sure, silly me for not keeping them in my own brush bag, but c’mon man. 

Anyway, I recently ordered the Chikuhodo Passion series cheek brush (PS-2) specifically for travel, plus a second PS-4 shadow brush because it works well for me as an under eye concealer brush. (I like to travel with 2 concealer brushes if my trip will last longer than a weekend.) Both the P series brushes are goat instead of squirrel, but the PS-4 is so soft for goat, it convinced me to buy more. 

I also recently bought some Wayne Goss eye brushes and will travel with the goat ones—but I’ll also use them at home because hey, you can never have too many blending brushes. And I don’t mind traveling with my synthetic MUFE and MAC brushes, though I prefer shorter handles. 

Travel storage: 

Spoiler
My travel brush case is usually a book-style leather case meant for art pencils. But I recently found this larger case on clearance that’s rigid on all sides and padded on top and bottom, with built-in elastic slots. I’m picking 2 or 3 of the slots loose to widen them for thicker handled brushes. I’ll probably also paint it because I don’t love its current exterior. Then I’ll travel with this case when I need to bring more makeup than will fit in my usual small makeup bag. 

7333C7F4-3D60-43B1-BB36-C817C882A0FE.jpegIt had another set of elastic slots attached to a rigid sewn-in flap, but I cut that flap away because it’d smush my brushes.It had another set of elastic slots attached to a rigid sewn-in flap, but I cut that flap away because it’d smush my brushes.

What kind of paint would you use for that, @WinglessOne? I’m trying to picture it...I could see you decking it out in a violet-Prussian blue velvet interior lining...

@eshoe I haven’t decided yet. 🙂 Nylon’s not the easiest thing to paint unless it’s untreated, so I’ll probably focus my efforts on the exterior and leave the interior alone. I might even paint just the top and bottom, and leave the sides as is. I could even draw/paint something separately and then attach/seal it to this case instead. I could just slap lots of stickers on it. I could use metallic pens/markers on it. Decisions, decisions! 

@AMK721 I feel you...I don't like taking my precious little ones on the road. The only time I bring my super nice brushes with me is when I feel like I need that special finish/feel of a full-size handle/head and the destination is an important event like a wedding.  In those instances, I do carry-on my brushes with me on my person. Otherwise,  for 1-2 week vacations or work-related travel, I pack a separate travel-sized set.  Overnighters or private weekend getaways where there's nothing going on, it's cream pot shadows with pencils and foundation sticks all the way baby.  

@AMK721, i'm eyeing on the Chikuhodo travel set that Mochapj mentioned as i dont have any travel brush.  I mostly just pack my regular brush but the smaller ones and the ones that i have dupes (I never had back up in make up but i hoard a bunch of back up brushes if they're happen to be my favorites).  My layout are normally liked: 1 kabuki powder, 1 bronzer brush, 1 for both highlight and blush, and 2 eye shadow brushes.

@AMK721 I do, but purely due to size constraints rather than worry about losing them or accidentally leaving them behind.

Most of my 'at home' brushes have longer handles and my brush rolls end up being too long to fit in a makeup bag.

I have a few 'nicer' travel brushes from Chikuhodo (their MK range has a few collapsible brushes) and a few collapsible eye brushes from their K series. These work as well as my 'good' brushes at home and fit my space requirements. Honestly, I find I wear less complicated makeup when I'm traveling anyway, so half the time I'm doing makeup with my fingers or just swiping on cream shadow and the brushes end up being a moot point 🙂

Chikuhodo's Noel collection

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 3.39.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-02 at 3.42.14 PM.png

I want the Rouge set.  Are they available yet @Mochapj?

@blackkitty2014 Not until 11/1

@Mochapj these look so nice! Love the color.

Love for Brushes

I love brushes also I'm always looking for a good brush I bought a couple of the Sephora brand brushes. I wanna get different brushes to add to my collection.

@deb042883 the right brush can make a huge difference in how your makeup applies. Treat yourself this holiday season (or anytime) and get a high end brush. 

@AMK721 Do you have any brands that you rec?  I'm thinking it's time to upgrade from my Sephora brand brushes.  Right now I'm thinking about a new crease brush, and on the lookout for a new brow brush (I have MUFE which is pretty good, but I know I need another).

I know there's been a lot of controversy online about Morphe and Jaclyn Hill but did anybody buy the brush set by any chance. I'm not a huge fan of the brand or her but there's a few shapes of brushes in there that I think could be a more affordable option to ones I reallly like.

I did. I really like some of them. I have mostly smith bl...

I did. I really like some of them. I have mostly smith blending brushes but when I grab a JH blending brush I cannot tell a big difference. I use them equally as much actually. I have just recently started investing in my brushes, with only the Sonia G worker 2 and a Wayne Goss, and holy smokes the difference is night and day!! 😂😂 but for the price they really are not bad!!!

RE: Love for Brushes

Visage sale

1,986 Replies
testing