Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

@eshoe I own their two original concealer brushes and those are made of kolinsky hair.

I've asked Surratt on a few different social media channels what this new brush is made of but they’ve not responded. A friend purchased one and said it felt like it was probably sable. If I ever get a definitive answer from them, I’ll be sure to come back and post it 😊

Thank you so much, @Mochapj. I own both of the concealer brushes as well, and the Complexion brush does appear to be darker. I couldn’t find anything online, not surprised though.

@eshoe Yeah, for whatever reason they aren’t always very forthcoming with the materials they use.

this is a photo that was sent me with the complexion brush next to the 2 concealers.6A1BE499-3F6E-4988-B087-4515344A06A4.jpeg

It does appear to be the same hair. Wish I would have picked it up now, but better safe than sorry! I rarely use the concealer brushes as I don’t use concealer often, but I like their sturdiness. I suppose the hair type/blend may be considered proprietary so they don’t feel compelled to share? In any case, thank you for posting this. Hopefully I receive the email when it’s back in stock, @Mochapj!

Has anyone tried Zoeva brushes? I've heard so many great things and I really want to get either the rose golden vol 1 or vol 2 brush set but I'm still on the fence if they'll be worth it. Thanks 🙂

I've got quite a few ZOEVA brushes and they are quite nice for the price. I've got mostly eye and crease brushes with a couple of face brushes, all are a mix of natural (goat?) and synthetic hair, hold their shape well after several washes (it's been a couple of years now I think!) and no shedding so far. The eyeshadow brushes are great since there are so many different shapes and sizes, they're soft, but not super soft, which is just fine for me since they pick up a good amount of product and then blend it out quick quickly. The face brushes are not bad either, I like the shapes but I prefer japanese style brushes for my face (much softer and fluffier because they're all natural hair). I think the price point is great for the construction, and the blend makes them easy to care for.

Thanks for this! 🙂 Just the push I needed to finally purchase the set.

I just wanted to post about the best brush I've used lately- the ESUM G27. I've never heard anyone talk about it and I've owned it for a few years at this point but never really put it to good use until recently. This brush is the best one I've found out of everything I own to pick up tricky shades, especially heavy and thick shimmers and metallics or other shades that you might usually pick up with a finger. I'm honestly amazed. I never thought much of it but now I want back ups. 

That sounds awesome @makeitup305, thank you for sharing!...

That sounds awesome @makeitup305, thank you for sharing! I'm not really a fan of using my finger, too easy to get sparkly shadow everywhere.

Re: That sounds awesome @makeitup305, thank you for sharing!...

@Shelbstirr I find it better than regular flat shaders (MAC 242 types) and it's easier to pick up and product with it. Definitely a new love.

I am looking for a recommendation for a new blush brush! For reference, my favourite shape is the Hakuhodo J110 (I have both the J110 and the B110) - I would prefer something a tinny little softer - but not squirrel soft. Please let me know your favourite Japanese blush brushes! 🙂

@clemon, I have both the J110 and J210 (round but not flat). I prefer J210 over J110 so I don’t collect that many round flat shape. Have you check out Chikuhodo Takumi lines? Wayne Goss? or Koyudo BP016? Sonia G also has a really nice blush brush. It has similar shape to J210 but I like it mmuch more.

I have a few brushed from Chikuhodo Z series (they are great, but i prefer a little less soft for everyday use), but not takumi series. You are right about Wayne Goss! I been meaning to try something from him, do you have a favorite?

@clemon I love the Tom Ford blush brush.  It's made in Japan and reminds me a little of the Hakuhodo brushes.

I love the Sephora PRO brushes. People just don't talk about them enough. My favorite is SEPHORA COLLECTION - PRO Precision Powder Brush #59for bronzer

I love the Sephora PRO brushes. People just don't talk about them enough. My favorite is SEPHORA COLLECTION - PRO Precision Powder Brush #59for bronzer

So, last year I finally splurged on the Surratt line of brushes during the Rouge fall sale.  I must say I love them.  However, I am now in the market for a high-end large, white-coloured fluffy synthetic face brush.  I've narrowed my search to La Mer's Powder Brush (like the shape),  Marc Jacobs Bronzer 12 (like the size), Tom Ford Bronzer (new synthetic version) (like the weight).  I'm interested to hear from anyone who has one or all three and what your impressions would be in terms of streakiness/blendability, quality (hairs falling out) etc.  I"m also open to other suggestions......

@blushnglow I don’t have the new TF but I had the natural hair version and got rid of it because even after owning it for two years it shed much more than it should’ve. 

It was shedding and not breakage so that’s likely due to the binding and glue process.  thus it might still be an issue with the synthetic brush since the same manufacturer is making them.

@Mochapj Oh I didn't know it's the same manufacturer. Shedding is something that I just can't stand so thank you!

You bought the entire line, @blushnglow😳 I have questions!! Is the highlighter brush truly necessary? How much of a difference is there between the medium and large SURRATT BEAUTY - Artistique Smoky Eye Brush Grande? I would rather pick up a second SURRATT BEAUTY - Classique Shadow Brush Moyennethan have the former which I might never reach for. 

@eshoe I agree with Mochapj's impressions of the brushes.  I actually don't reach for the Smoky Eye Grande that often because of it's in between size - a little too long for blending eye, too small for sweeping cheeks. (do-able but time consuming I assume).  The Medium Smokey I reach for fairly regularly as it blends effortlessly yet still picks up enough product to sweep some colour.  The Petite however I think is a niche product while I love it to smoke the lash line, I know it's not for everyone.  I wouldn't say the highlighting cheek brush is "necessary" but it does perform better for cheek applications because it is larger and denser.  I actually use it for a subtle contour.

Classique Moyenne is a good size multi-purpose brush great for patting on color but also the rounded edge fits into my crease perfectly for quick immediate blending into a transition.  Picking up a second one is a good idea!  Quality is outstanding on all of them.  Hope that helps.

1,986 Replies
testing