Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

That's awful! I hope beautylish makes it right for you @Mochapj .

Quick question, did your brush packaging have the usual made in Japan/Fudo sticker?

@SurprisedLemur no, mine came without the sticker. It wasn't even boxed, just in a plastic sleeve inside another sleeve. 

@Mochapj Same as mine, I thought it was odd. I emailed beautylish about it and this is what they said:

Thanks for reaching out! For the 2021 Lunar New Year brush, we partnered with legendary Japanese brushmakers to craft this super cute and limited edition brush for the Year of the Ox. Although we cannot disclose the manufacturer, I would say the process involved with creating this brush is very similar to other very well known Japanese brushmakers that we carry on our site.

I wonder why they can't disclose the manufacturer?

@SurprisedLemur last year's LNY brush was not disclosed either; I believe only 2019's brush was listed as Beautylish x Chikuhodo.

A friend and I were discussing recently and it's possible that there is more than one manufacturer involved i.e. one making the hair bundles and a separate one for the handles, which would make sense given the volume I assume Beautylish is ordering.

Or it could be that the manufacturer's standards are higher than what Beautylish is contracting for, so whoever the maker is does not want to put their name on it. 

@Mochapj  -- Sonia G indicated that it depends on the contract with the OEM if they are named or not.  I found that interesting since I would love to know who her OEM is especially since she is changing OEM for at least two brushes. 

Anyway, to me It appears to have the same quality as the prior year's brush and looks very similar to the Z series powder brush in shape and style of the Makie series so I anticipate it most likely is still a colab with Chikuhodo.  Of course, it is possible the OEM changed or maybe if Beautylish has committed to 12 lunar year brushes their contract now prevents them from indicating it's a colab with Chikuhodo.  

@Mochapj That's really interesting, thanks for sharing! I was starting to worry there was something weird going on with this year's brushes.

So sorry - I think it must just be yours.  Mine is very clean around the edges of the image. It looks like it is still in stock - perhaps you can exchange it?

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I am assuming that you reached out to them for a replacement. I received mine yesterday and mine has no problems with the design so maybe it’s a situation where the designs were badly applied to a few brushes.

@teufel yes, I did reach out to them and they sent me a replacement. It just arrived about an hour ago and I'm happy to say it is in pristine condition.

I did speak to a lot of people on IG and although nobody else I chatted with received a messy brush from this year's batch, I did hear from a great many people who had sloppy ones from last year's LNY brush, so I think in general Beautylish Presents is not great at their quality control. 

My Hachi brush from last fall was also quite sloppy in the design application but I never bothered to reach out to them because it had already sold out by the time I received it.

@Mochapj  that’s disappointing about the design. For a $125 brush the design shouldn’t be flawed like that. 

An IRL look at the Koyudo Beautylish brush. It’s very cute and is one of their shorter handled brushes

29F12414-E169-4229-9BB6-894909D0A6D8.jpeg

This years Beautylish LNY brush

8CF2124D-1BC4-4270-9F4E-D91E82D8EAE2.jpeg

I picked this one up 🙂 will try to remember to post a pic when I get it.

When you receive it, can you please let us know if there is a clear lacquer over the design? I’m worried that the beautiful design will rub off over time. I think I read somewhere that’s what happened to last year’s brush because there was no lacquer coating. Thanks!

I'm still kicking myself that I didn't pick up the 2019 brush, but I did get last year's brush. Does anyone else just not use the LNY brushes or is that just me? It's kinda like a collector's item for me and I'm afraid the design will come off the handle with a lot of use.

@niki172I have been using my Year of the Rat brush but I rotate it with other brushes in my collection so probably only every few months.I'm fairly sure that the Makie designs on the handle won't rub off due to how they are made.

FYI, the product page at Beautylish (Brands > Beautylish Presents > this brush is in the product list) includes the usual multiple brush head views and a 360 view video. 

• Hair type: Blue squirrel
  • Handle length: 120.65 mm
  • Bristle length: 47.625 mm
  • Ferrule size: 25.4 mm x 19.05 mm

As much as I love this adorable brush and Chikuhodo (who I assume made this brush), I might be more attracted to Koyudo's lunar new year brush, especially since I don't have an angled powder brush. I'm trying not to buy both brushes. 🤣

Adorable 🥰

@fhgarman @MCSSavvy Here’s a look at the brush 

@Mochapj  Thanks for the tag!  OMG that is one cute brush.  Definitely plan to grab the lunar brush this year.  🙂

Bet me to it. It will be released on 1/12 at 1 pm ET. Cost is $125 USD. You can sign up for notifications via the Beautylish website or their Launch Club app

5 Replies
testing