Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

Beautylish is dropping a new limited edition Koyudo Akabeko Powder brush at 1 pm EST today, 12/31. Akabeko is a traditional toy made out of 2 pieces of paper-mâché covered wood that is shaped like a cow and originates in the Tohoku region of Japan. It symbolizes good luck and protection. The bristles are 45 mm at the longest point and are squirrel hair. I think this one is a Beautylish exclusive. Price is $135 USD. 

672F661F-6B1C-4937-AA36-8DEF7C690032.png

@teufel  -- I wandered over to the Beautylish site and saw this brush.  It looks cute but I'm on the fence.  Do you think Chikuhodo and Beautylish will have a colab again this year?

I asked Beautylish about a Chikuhodo Lunar New Year brush for this year and this was their response: “Thanks for reaching out! While we have not yet received confirmation on if we will be stocking a new Lunar New Year Brush from Chikuhodo from our team, please just ensure you are signed up for our email newsletters so we can let you know once we have more information to share.”

So sadly, we may not get a Chikuhodo LNY brush this year. Hopefully we will find out for sure soon. The LNY brushes are normally released towards the end of January.

Thank you for the update they sent you. I really hope they get it this year. I’ve been waiting for this one because my son was born in the year of the ox.

The Chikuhodo Lunar New Year of the Ox brush should be available next month. Not sure of the release date. They have released no details yet but these brushes are always highly anticipated every year.

Thanks @teufel  -- I couldn't remember if the brushes launched in Jan or Feb last year.  

Tomorrow at 1:00 pm EST, Beautylish will have the Wayne Brush Artist collection brushes available as singles. Looks like the prices start out at $45 for the smallest brush. No details on the price of the other 2 brushes. They sent out notifications via their Launch Club app and it is not listed yet on their website

0CC35918-5AB8-41A7-8F7E-B275B911FE4A.png

@teufel Thank you for the update.  I've never purchased brushes by Wayne Goss. 

I have a few of his brushes. Some of them, like the Airbrush and the 02 powder brush, I use almost daily for setting the undereye and applying highlighter. If you are looking for a squirrel hair brush for those purposes, those 2 brushes are an excellent buy at $35 ea. I also have the original 15 fan brush which I hardly ever use because I rarely use fan brushes. I also have the 07, 19, and 20 eyebrushes and, while I like the 19 and 20 brushes, I just don’t use them as much as I do my Sonia G and Chikuhodo brushes. Honestly, I prefer SG and Chikuhodo because they’re softer. The size of the 19 and 20 brushes are actually really good for hooded eyes but I reach for the SG Mini Booster and the original Shu Uemura 5R kolinsky brush more because they lay down color better. I am not saying they are poor quality. In fact, it’s the opposite. They are really nice brushes and I believe that the OEM is Hakuhodo.
The Artist Collection brushes have pretty good reviews but there were a few criticisms when they were released. First, a lot of people wanted to buy them individually because many people didn’t want the smallest brush and the set was pretty expensive. Second, a lot of people wanted the original artist brush which was larger to be rereleased but he didn’t do that. Third, the dye apparently does run a bit initially when you wash it the first few times but that is not uncommon with dyed goat. Third, the brushes are a tapered shape and not everyone likes that shape, especially for powder brushes. However, the collection has beautiful handles and the design has no visible ferrules so it looks somewhat like the  Shaquda brushes which only recently became readily available in the US. They are pricey brushes but that is understandable based on the style and materials of the brushes. If any of these brushes sell out, it will be the 2 larger ones which they just announced the prices of ($55 and $75). They will have a hard time selling the smallest one because it is too large really for an eyebrush and too small for a face brush.

Thx you @teufel @for the info. And I kinda agree with all the criticism. I might get the biggest 2. I don’t know what to do with the smallest

@teufel Thank you.  This is great information. 

For any serious fude collectors, the Chikuhodo Kiwami set is coming back with a third edition of 50 in January. 

I picked up a set the last time they were issued in 2017 and based on this promotional photo it appears all the brush shapes will be the same for 2021. There were some slight differences in shapes between the first edition and the 2017 edition.

They are made with the same ebony wood handles they use in the P-series brush line and come in a leather brush case/holder. With the exception of the brow brush, all the brushes are made with various types of squirrel hair, be it ash or Canadian squirrel.

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 2.55.23 PM.png

@Mochapj These are so gorgeous!  I've always wanted Canadian squirrel brushes!  I'm almost afraid to look at the cost  I really, really, really want these.  How do you like yours?

@tjffc the hair in the brushes is great and the handles are beautiful. I find them a little thick personally, but overall the quality and presentation of the set is stunning.

that said, the price is a little eye watering. I can’t recall how much mine was back then but this time around it is 230,000y which works out to around $2300usd. 

If it’s something you’re interested in, every time these come out there are usually people looking to split sets which can sometimes be a better way to go, depending on which brushes you want.

@Mochapj Thank you!  I figured the price was steep.  I really would like the brushes.  Thats good to know regarding people splitting set.  These are beautiful brushes.  

New fox brushes from Koyudo, coming soon

C5351CFA-B588-4C07-916D-66D223816753.jpeg

18225A93-4D9D-4332-AA3F-0135DFE04EF8.jpeg

EB1B1F89-A20C-4374-9E95-AF18AC5D0281.jpeg

76D6E0EB-02EF-4595-A699-1DC2E92E60D5.jpeg

Beautiful brushes @Mochapj! 😍😍😍

@Mochapj Nice brushes. I'd love to get all of these.  Thank you for the update. 

Available now at Beautylish Untitled.png

The full set  - short handles LE. Eye brushes are goat, face brushes are goat mixed with synthetic 

9D896E7E-1DB2-4A43-81E1-68AB60656326.png

I'm super excited.  I've been eyeing various sets and talking myself out of them, but I love the look of these! 

testing