Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

@Mochapj Make sure to share all your new fluffies when they arrive! Which is hopefully soon :(. Sorry to hear about such a long delay on two of your brushes. At least now if you decide to order the momiji black it will be available on CDJapan. I remember eyeing all the Makie brushes when I first started accumulating brushes but then they went out of print for a while. I was really shocked and happy to see them available again. Hopefully CDJapan will have a 20% off soon and then all the brushes will be a bargain. They we can get all the brushes and feel less crazy about doing so 😄

@Mochapj Also, are you eyeing any of the new or rereleased brushes available on CDJapan? I'm planning to get the Koyudo x CDJapan Yakasugi Face brush to match with the blush brush. Also the Wajima Handle Kinoko brush, the Makie cherry blossom red powder brush, and the Makie momiji green moss powder brush. So many beauties out lately!

I purchased My first Chikuhodo brush (MK-1 brush), I received it today, but it has some awful glue kind of smell, do u guys wash your brushes? before use? is the smell common?

I have the MK2 and it doesn't have a smell at all.

Have you tried washing it to see if the smell goes away?  

If it was a goat brush, I'd say smell could be possible, but I've never noticed much of a scent on squirrel brushes.

I called Beautylish, they told me to wash and if it still there, I can return, hopefully it go away when I wash

I have found the PERFECT makeup brush cleaner. I have seen how people love to use coconut oil or some other oil to clean their brushes, so I tried that. It was awful and time consuming. Also, the oil would not wash off and I had to shampoo them.

So the other day, I pulled out the beautyblender cleansing liquid and I spied the Clinique Take the Day off Balm. Immediately, I was inspired. This balm is used to take off makeup. It is an oil that emulsifies in water and washes off completely. So I took 2 tablespoons of the balm and put it on a plate. I would rub each brush in a little bit of balm and put it aside. It took me total 10 minutes to wash some 30+ brushes! They all came out amazing. I use the balm for facial massage and when I am too tired to go through whole remove makeup, cleansing etc ritual. Try it and let me know!

Cd Japan is having a 20% off sale on select Koyudo brushes, FYI

@Mochapj If only they would hurry and do a 20% off on the rest of the brushes as well. We could all go on a frenzy buying everything. The sale on the sets was tempting though

I know what you mean @Cahlee!

i fell for the siren song of a set I'd been waiting to go on sale 😉

Ok finally got to play with my new Wayne Goss brush and it's shedding a little - is that normal? This is my first blue squirrel brush (I have goat and synthetic) so I'm not sure. Out of fear since it's LE I purchased another one as backup - it's such a lovely brush *squeee*

A little bit of shedding is normal. Are the hairs that are shedding the length of the exposed hairs? The total length of hairs in the brush (actual brush head and inside the ferrule) is almost double the length of the useable head. If you are getting hairs that long then that is an issue. If they are the length of the useable head then those are just ones that didn't get brushed out when they made the brush.

How do u all clean your natural hair brushes? what do use to clean? any tips? how u guys maintain brushes? 

A blogger, Sweet Make Temptations has a post on how she cleans her brushes.  She has a great brush collection as well.  Hakuhodo USA also has care instructions on their website.  Hope this will help you.

how can I find that information?

@lilshopper1 The easiest way would be to google "Sweetmakeuptempations cleaning" and it should be the first option available. Otherwise you could go on her blog and type in the search bar "cleaning" and her post on cleaning her brushes will pop up

Thank u, I follow sweet makeup temptations, but I never check about cleaning post, will do now, thank u

I just realized that I have 3 powder brushes (not including the new Wayne Goss I'm considering that a hybrid)  5 contour/blush brushes (again not counting the Wayne Goss). And I'm not even going to go into eyeshadow brushes (but I feel like I can justify those). Out of the 8 powder/blush/contour brushes 6 have never even been used. 3 Hakuhodo's, 1 IT cosmetics brush that I couldn't pass on, 1 of the new Sephora pro brushes, and that really cute Benefit hoola brush that came out that was LE and had teal bristles (who can say no to that?). I don't know what I should do with all these extra brushes - I guess hold onto them? It's not like they'll go bad. Oh and I also have a MUFE set that has multiple brushes I've never touched. I feel terrible 😢

@niki172, I can't even count how many powder brushes I have; I have a different jar for different types of brushes. There are 2 jars for the powder/face brushes. I know I have multiples of some. What I do is use certain brushes for certain colors or products. Having many also helps with washing. I typiaclly use 1-3 blush brushes at a time, 1 powder, 1 highlight, and 1 concealer powder. I'll use that for a period of time, then put it in the "wash" pile and pull another set. That way I'm not impacted by needing to wash dirty brushes and I always have clean ones. This is how I justify brush purchases. 😉 

@mrsbaine I guess I could try a rotation of brushes - may save me $$ in brush cleaner lol. Plus as @AMK721 stated I may find a new one that I like for different products etc. I'm really looking forward to getting my Wayne Goss today though!!!! Thanks all 🙂

Absolutely! That's how it's worked for me too! There are certain brushes I prefer for certain products. For my pigmented blushes, I love using a Blue Squirrel brush because it lays the product down nicely without picking up so much. And for less pigmented blushes, I prefer goat hair brushes. What I've found is better tools really do matter and I'm ok having a ton of great tools! 

Have fun this weekend and play with your makeup using some brushes you haven't used before.  You might find that you like they way they pick up product and/or blend better than the others.  You might find a new favorite brush.  You could also try watching You Tube tutorials and pick up some new techniques.

testing