Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|
Anonymous Insider

Gothic girls, Pin-up, Punk and J-Fashion Enthusiasts. Calling all Alternative Fashion ladies!

Greetings,

I was browsing around and noticed nothing some missing. So, I decided to fill in that void and start up a thread. I want to make this a little cozy corner for all alternative fashion fashionista's and anyone who is curious about the fashion, makeup and lifestyle.

Please tell us a little snippet about yourself or share your story. 

Feel free to copy&paste the examples

Style: 
How long you've been into alternative fashion:
Some pet-peeves/misconceptions about your style: 
Favorite Designers:
Favorite Makeup Brands:
Favorite Perfumes/Scents: 
Ink/Piercings: 
Zodiac: 

Gothic/Cyber/Victorian
Heavy Red
Lip Service
Rivithead

Dracula Clothing
Deadly Couture
Artifice Clothing
Decadent Designs
Futurstate
Timeless-Trends
Plastik Wrap
Rosemortem
NorthBound Leather [NSFW]

Isabella Corsetry
Black Milk

Pinup/Vintage/Retro:
Pinup Girl Clothing
ModCloth
Bettie Page Clothing
Rockabillys
Soho's Rockabilly
Stop Staring
Dita Von Teese's Von Follies

Hips and Curves
Rago Shapewear
Chic Star

NewAge:
UNIF
Dolls Kill
Domino Dollhouse

Punk:
Tripp NYC
Too Fast Alternative Apparel

Jewelery:
Blood Milk Jewels
Alchemy Gothic
Aranwen Jewelry
VampireGothic by Wolfgang Tobias

Shoes:
Tuk
Dr. Martens
Demonia
Jeffrey Campbell
New Rock
Pleaser Shoes
Sinster Soles

Other:
Sock Dreams

Anonymous Insider

Re: Gothic girls, Pin-up, Punk and J-Fashion Enthusiasts. Calling all Alternative Fashion ladies!

Ladymeag, you bring back fond memories. I remember one lady who actually wrote some Gothic-Bible handbook on the do's and don'ts of Goths. If I find it, I'll post some of her quotes. It's pretty entertaining. 

Another favorite of mine is: Aren't goths white? 

Re: Gothic girls, Pin-up, Punk and J-Fashion Enthusiasts. Calling all Alternative Fashion ladies!

Do you mean Jillian Venters? Her book is called Gothic Charm School - she's a local friend. 🙂 

Oh. My. God. The "you can't be goth, you're not white!" thing is absolutely ridiculous. Our local main goth club has a few employees of color and they hear it all the time from other goths. It's mind blowing!

Anonymous Insider

Aunt Jilli is awesome ^-^
I have that book!

Anonymous Insider

No, no. I actually really enjoyed her book and I believe she made some videos on Youtube as well. The lady I was talking about was a local woman back in Toronto, it was a self-published comedy in my eyes. 

Yeah, tell me about it. I'm what you call ethnically ambiguous, but obviously not white enough to be considered a 'true goth'. I always felt like some animal at a petting zoo when I first went to my monthly meetups. It kinda worked out for me in the end, I became the token alternative model in a lot of shows and became friends with a lot of cool people. But, this was 8 years ago and I feel like now, the Goth community has really opened up. 

Honestly? I think it's an influx of younger people - if you remember that goth started as a post-punk thing and rose up out of punk and new-wave culture, you'll also remember that punk and hardcore culture developed a deep split with problems with racism in some circles. White power skinheads taking on the punk aesthetic, for example. You wound up with all kinds of things to try and combat that (SHARPs, SHARDs, alliance organizations) but, honestly, I think it kind of seeped in around the edges and we're finally getting to a point where that's not as common an experience. 

Now I feel old. 😛 

Anonymous Insider

Yeah, I completely agree with you its a lot of the ill-informed youngsters. I find that they mellow out as the years go by and they realize that Goth is for anybody and not some special club. I also think its harder in the US, especially when it comes to racism. In Canada we're pretty darn multicultural and in the US, they say that...but actions speak differently, at least from my experiences.

It's funny, I'm into a lot of alt-fashions, however you wouldn't be able to tell by just looking at me. I guess my friends are more outwardly into it than I am but I do dabble and incorporate various pieces from different alternative fashions into my every day looks. My friend Yasmin is a super adorable pinup/vintage enthusiast who got me even more into red lipstick than I already was and helped me dye my hair magenta. My older friends used to take me to 80s clubs like Blue Monday and Industrial clubs like Das Bunker where there was obviously more of a goth/industrial vibe going one.  I've spent many years hanging with my more boho friends at music festivals like Coachella (Coachella before it became insane).

So yeah I guess I'm not really helpful in listing anything particular lol.

Piercings: Helix, septum, nipples

Zodiac: Sagittarius, Snake for Chinese

And for fun here is my friend Yasmin looking adorable as all hell in a mixture of vintage/handmade clothing:

Shurlee Sweet

Anonymous Insider

Haha, small world. I've been to Das Bunker. It's definitely a place I visit when in LA. I wish the Goth Clubs didn't all but die out in Toronto (my hometown). I really dig your friends style and the hair <3. 

Ah, the old **bleep**-piercings. I've had to take mine out twice and they haven't completely closed. But, the jewelry won't go through. I want to redo them, but the pain of it all, especially with the scar tissue from the last 2 times. I suppose it comes down to...do I really want it. 

Anonymous Insider

o,o sephora censored nipple....odd.

How weird, they only censored it when "piercing" was added to the end lol. I think if I had to take mine out I wouldn't really want to do them again, the initial piercing part isn't too painful but oh the healing process, and god forbid you accidentally hit one 😞 I've been accidentally punched in the **bleep** one too many times with these things. One time one of them got caught in my mesh shower sponge thing even though I'm super careful, owww.

Anonymous Insider

I'm onto you Sephora and your sneaky ways.... Yeah, the first time I had them done. It didn't hurt at all, but I was taken to the hospital (I have a stupid medical condition) and they had to remove all jewelry, so that sucked. I went to get them redone and by then it had fully healed, it really sucked because of the scar tissue. After 2 months I was washing up and the balls unscrewed as I was washing up and I only had one piercing in. After only having one in, I took it out and that was 3 years ago. Kinda miss them. 

Yeah, my fear was ripping them out while getting it caught on something. 

omg these pics are the cutest thing EVER!

Haha yeah she's adorable, sometimes I accompany her to her pinup contests, I love it.

I've been buying BPAL since 2003. Feel free to ask questions! 🙂 

You should check out Meadowlark Jewellery too, they have a lot of really nice jewelry that I've been lusting after for some time now.

Anonymous Insider

I MUST HAVE IT ALL!

I've resigned to the fact that I won't be able to purchase anything of theirs for a while, so I just stalk their Instagram and dream lol.

Anonymous Insider

Valentines is coming up....must drop hints to the Hubby. 

Anonymous Insider

O_O! Thank you for sharing those brands with me, that stuff from Blood Milk is utterly stunning. Funny, I've come across Black Phoenix before and actually have a few things saved to my Etsy cart. Wild Rose Herbs and DebaucherousBathBody are pretty cool too, check'em out. 

Anonymous Insider

Style:Punky office is what I'd describe myself as...  More punky on the weekends, LOL

How long you've been into alternative fashion: Since I was about 23... now i'm 40 so I tuned it down a bit, LOL!

Some pet-peeves/misconceptions about your style: That I'll mug people in a dark alley

Favorite Designers: Tripp

Favorite Makeup Brands: MUFE, Illamasque, NARS, Lancôme, Dior

Favorite Perfumes/Scents: I really like Nirvana Black by Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen even though I hated Full House when it was on, Bulgari Mon Jasmine Noir, Clean Shower Fresh, Michael Kors, Burberry Weekend... I'm sure I left out something!

Ink/Piercings :Labret and tongue... I took the snakebites out three months ago... Doesn't look good at 40 as it did at 23...  31 tattoo's... I stopped at 31 because Halloween is my favorite holiday!

Zodiac: Scorpio

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos21
  • [pireze]MoriStyle_01-L.jpg
  • tumblr_m1euq9UI801r97sv1o1_500.jpg
  • 4793392611_f498441622_z.jpg
  • Shurlee Sweet
  • upload_222809713324625173.jpg
  • tank_girl_by_terribilus-d5lxaq5.jpg
  • Screenshot 2014-01-18 at 5.20.05 PM.png
  • upload_7059904221973423444.jpg