Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Insiders

Got kinda creative with my UD lip samples.

We had those foundation samples dominating the sample area for SOOOOO long that when they finally changed them out I went on a crazy ordering spree. I ended up getting 5 of the Urban Decay Revolution lippie samples. I loved them but hate those little packets because they don't reseal & when put in my drawers other things will touch them & make a mess or if left on the counter my hair dryer blows it onto the floor & more disasters happen or it dries out & gets wasted. Basically, what I am saying is I am a giant bad luck charm & if it can go wrong it will for me. Plus 20 little sample thingys is a lot of space to give up for them to be stored.... so I got a bit creative with storing them & thought I'd share with everyone...

I have this weird obsession with depotting my make up & pressing it & had always wanted to try depotting lipstick. Eyeballing it I figured 5 samples of each color would be enough to fill a 26mm pans I had laying around. 5 of each color was the PERFECT fill amount for each pan. I scooped each sample out into the pans & used my flat iron(the spoon & flame method made me feel too much like a drug user soooooo flat iron it was for me!)

So, step by step as requested!

I gathered 4 empty 26mm pans(I have a rather large stock on hand from TKB trading) a sponge tip applicator, a paper towel, a q tip and my flat iron.

Then i pulled the sponge tip off of the applicator so I could use it as a makeshift spatula.

I then disinfected the area, the empty pans and the applicator with rubbing alcohol and then placed labels on the bottom of the pans with the color names and brand. I find doing so after the product is transfered messy.

Then i opened my sample and used the applicator to scoop out product and smashed it into the pan.

once I had all 5 samples in a pan I turned on my flat iron to 325. (Every brand is different, I first tried 250 but after 5min it didn't even start to melt so I bumped it up. Start low, increase if you need to, DO NOT LET IT COME TO A BOIL and I don't reccomend going higher than 400, at 451 degrees paper will ignite.) I placed a paper towel on my flat iron plate and then placed the pan on top and waited for everything to melt evenly.

Once melted I VERY carefully removed the pan from the flat iron and gentaly dropped it a few times close to my flat surface to push any air bubbles up to the surface.

within 5 minutes the lipstick was solid and cool and ready to pop into a palette.

Re: Got kinda creative with my UD lip samples.

This is an awesome idea. I have like 6 of Those samples and haven't tried it yet because I'm disaster prone too lol. Now I just the palette and pans.

you could use the trick where you depot them into any empty multi-day pill case. then you dont need to purchase the palette or pans that you have no other use for.

I think that is what I will do with all of mine. 

i use tkb trading for pans and palettes, but I also use coastal scents for their giant empty palettes... i just end up using nailpolish remover to take their logo off of it first.

ouuu fancy!

What a great tutorial !!! So neat I would have never thought to do that and as a result those little packets would have gone to waste, thanks for the idea!!!!

This is a great trick putting the gloss into a palette! So far I have only used the microwave and small glass jars. Putting the samples in the fridge makes them pop out of the plastic. You can also mix a color that doesn't work for you with something else to tweek it into something you do like.

Also, love that you make your own eye shadow. Way to go!

Thanks for sharing Smiley Happy

That is such a great idea! I have a few lipsticks that I had to depot (or destick rather) because the packaging broke, but now they are a pain because they are actually in little glass jars (old gel liner jars). I might try this to make them more travel friendly.

Thanks for the step by step tutorial; that is really fabulous.

That is awesome! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

I loved it when you said, "I don't recommend going higher than 400, at 451 degrees paper will ignite..." I guess you found out from personal experience that at 451 degrees the paper will ignite huh? Smiley Very Happy

Or she is a Ray Bradbury fan. XD

That was my assumption. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Wow, that's pretty cool!

exacly! Smiley Happy

actually i remember it from the ray bradbury book... probably one of the best known science fiction novels out there. Smiley Happy

Brilliant! I was planning on combining all my UD samples as I am a disaster too with little sample bits of stuff everywhere, I might just have to follow your tutorial now, it looks so perfect!

amazing

This is awesome!  Thank you for sharing!

Ok so I took your advice and used your tutorial. I found an old sephora to go palette that I never use from years ago, got rid of the shadows in it, cleaned it up and here it is. I did the urban decay and the Yves Saint Laurant Rouge lip samples and a random broken lipstick I've been digging at, lol. its not the neatest work but I'm proud of my first DIY project. Plus I did the spoon over fire thing (yea it was weird) but it was quick and effective. Thanks again for showing us this awesome tutorial. 

this looks amazing! Nice work!

Love how this turned out! For some reason lip palettes always look really polished and professional Smiley Happy

wow amazing! Smiley Happy

nice! I wish I would hit pan on my palettes so that i can reuse them! I have this horrible habit of buying them and then having so many that even daily use doesnt put a dent in the shadows since i'm swapping them out! Those look awesome by the way! I am glad it worked out for you too!

Wow Katty! You are so resourceful! I'm impressed. Smiley Happy -Laura

I'm impressed ladies! Nicely done! I will keep this in mind for samples in the future Smiley Happy

This is amazing.  Excited to try!

Conversation Stats
Photos14
  • IMG_1196[1].JPG
  • IMG_1197[1].JPG
  • IMG_1198[1].JPG
  • IMG_1204[1].JPG
  • IMG_1202[1].JPG
  • IMG_1211[1].JPG
  • IMG_1212[1].JPG
  • IMG_1217[1].JPG
  • IMG_1213[1].JPG