Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Insiders

Got kinda creative with my UD lip samples.

We had those foundation samples dominating the sample area for SOOOOO long that when they finally changed them out I went on a crazy ordering spree. I ended up getting 5 of the Urban Decay Revolution lippie samples. I loved them but hate those little packets because they don't reseal & when put in my drawers other things will touch them & make a mess or if left on the counter my hair dryer blows it onto the floor & more disasters happen or it dries out & gets wasted. Basically, what I am saying is I am a giant bad luck charm & if it can go wrong it will for me. Plus 20 little sample thingys is a lot of space to give up for them to be stored.... so I got a bit creative with storing them & thought I'd share with everyone...

I have this weird obsession with depotting my make up & pressing it & had always wanted to try depotting lipstick. Eyeballing it I figured 5 samples of each color would be enough to fill a 26mm pans I had laying around. 5 of each color was the PERFECT fill amount for each pan. I scooped each sample out into the pans & used my flat iron(the spoon & flame method made me feel too much like a drug user soooooo flat iron it was for me!)

So, step by step as requested!

I gathered 4 empty 26mm pans(I have a rather large stock on hand from TKB trading) a sponge tip applicator, a paper towel, a q tip and my flat iron.

Then i pulled the sponge tip off of the applicator so I could use it as a makeshift spatula.

I then disinfected the area, the empty pans and the applicator with rubbing alcohol and then placed labels on the bottom of the pans with the color names and brand. I find doing so after the product is transfered messy.

Then i opened my sample and used the applicator to scoop out product and smashed it into the pan.

once I had all 5 samples in a pan I turned on my flat iron to 325. (Every brand is different, I first tried 250 but after 5min it didn't even start to melt so I bumped it up. Start low, increase if you need to, DO NOT LET IT COME TO A BOIL and I don't reccomend going higher than 400, at 451 degrees paper will ignite.) I placed a paper towel on my flat iron plate and then placed the pan on top and waited for everything to melt evenly.

Once melted I VERY carefully removed the pan from the flat iron and gentaly dropped it a few times close to my flat surface to push any air bubbles up to the surface.

within 5 minutes the lipstick was solid and cool and ready to pop into a palette.

Re: Got kinda creative with my UD lip samples.

Thanks for sharing. No not at all. I wish you had put each step and posted photo of each step cause I am a dummy so I need depot makeup for dummies guide exactly step-by-step and notes for each so I could copy your method. I wish I could do it.

hahah I can make one for you if you'd like.

Yes please and what pans and empty palettes I would need to have? I have 2 or 3 of the Shiseido lipstick samples.

Updated with steps! I originally threw them in a small 4 pan palette I had from tkb trading, but I realized I had exactly 4 spots free in my empty palette I bought from coastal scents to put the eyeshadows I make myself... so I just threw them in there with the eyeshadow to save space.

Oh and it looks amazing by the way. Great job!

What a great idea! I like how these turned out, and I bet they'll last you a while too Smiley Happy

Aw thanks! I am reading it right now. You are awesome! Smiley Happy

OMG you are a genius. Love how you did it. You are so good at doing this. I so need to copy you. Do you know where can I buy the pans?

I get mine from TKB, http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?item_id=1578

you can get different colors and you can get the right sized pans on the same page. They also sell smaller pan sizes and packaging, I just like 26mm and find it very universal. It's about the size of a quarter.

cool thanks. I will look into it.

I wonder how many people have already gone to the website and purchased the pans. The TKB company so needs to give you gratis of some sort Smiley Wink.

you are a genius!!! planning to do this. but i don't know where i can get a pan. lol.

tkb trading has them. Smiley Happy

Very nice. Great idea with the samplesSmiley Happy

This can work for lipsticks that are near the end of the tube as well.

Zpalette is another type empty pans/palette.

Oh it's a hair flat iron.  sorry i was confused for a second.

So awesome! Will have to try this. Yours came out perfectly!

This is so awesome!

katty2323 - You are Amazing!! I would've never thought of anything like this. I'm in the same boat re: those never ending foundation samples (sure some people liked them but they were blucky to me) I was also so relieved to see the UD Lip Samples & have numerous, just like you. I have to find something I could put them in...hmmmm.......

I also need to get my samples more organized. Thought about putting them in baggies and then in file folders, just like my bills. Not sure, have to think on it.

Anyhow, thanks for this. Truly inspiring. Smiley Happy

all of my repetitive samples are organized into ziploc bags, and then I put all of the ziplocs in a large decorative box.

Makes it easy to find what I want, and looks nice.

I've got a similiar set up with clear plastic shoe boxes I found at walmart. but It def. does not encourage me to use them Smiley Sad

walmart has clear plastic shoe boxes with lids for around $0.99 each that I use for mine.

BTW, thanks for the website for the pans you used. Have to check that out during the day. Only came on to check any new sale items, samples & promo codes. Never got there, too tired.. So glad I happened upon this. Thanks again.

Highlighted

Love your tutorial!  I would have never thought of using a flat iron to melt the lipstick into the pan, I've always gotten lumpy depottings. Now I have to figure out how to keep the pans on my iron as it has curved surfaces (my hair is already stick straight).

There is also a spoon and flame method, I just am too clumsy to use it lol.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos14
  • IMG_1196[1].JPG
  • IMG_1197[1].JPG
  • IMG_1198[1].JPG
  • IMG_1204[1].JPG
  • IMG_1202[1].JPG
  • IMG_1211[1].JPG
  • IMG_1212[1].JPG
  • IMG_1217[1].JPG
  • IMG_1213[1].JPG