Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

Nice work @RGbrown! BBW Flannel is such a comfy, feel good scent! 💕 I somehow missed that BBW had a lemon vanilla scent - it sounds like a nice pairing - would you say it leans more lemon or vanilla? Or, is the scent pretty balanced?

@itsfi 

Flannel is such a great scent, so warm and cozy!

The Lemon Vanilla is likely "vintage", so I doubt they have it anymore...I don't think I've bought a BBW body wash in 5+ years, yet I have dozens I'm still working through. It's like my sheet mask stash, only way worse, and way slower to finish off 🤣 In any case, it was definitely more lemon, but the vanilla softened it up and gave it a creamy undertone, keeping it from being harsh or sour. It was truly lovely ❤️

YTD 282

Notes in the spoilers!

IMG_20210916_141907101.jpg

Spoiler
BBW Black Cherry Merlot candle: love

Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream: I don't think I bought either of these intentionally, but I used to buy BB gift sets pretty frequently and wound up with a few floating around, even though I never really used it. I finally started trying to be more diligent about using them up, and the larger one is roughly 80% gone, but both of these have turned (ugh, they stink!)...not surprising since they are likely 10+ years old though. I found one more in my drawer, and I am working on it now, but this isn't something I'll buy in the future. I find it a little too thick/oily feeling for my taste, and prefer just a jojoba-based cuticle oil.

L'Oreal Pure-Clay Cleanser: really lovely. Thick clay-like consistency that lightly lathers up, and cleans well without stripping my skin. Would absolutely use more samples, though it does have added fragrance, which makes me less likely to actually buy.

Lip Smacker Skittles lip Balm (Strawberry): nice basic balm, fun scent.

Biolage Hydrasource Pack Deep Treatment: did nothing for my hair, just left me frizzy and poofy.

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Mask: meanwhile, this was really nice, and really helped tame frizz on the days I used my clarifying shampoo. It wasn't quite "run out and buy it now" worthy, but I'll absolutely be on the lookout for more samples, and maybe even make a purchase with a good deal. 

Ulta Exfoliating Body Scrub: perfectly fine. The grit is a tad finer than I would like, but I use it with an exfoliating glove anyways, so that's not a huge concern for me. Lovely scent, and it didn't make my shower slick.

18.21 Man Made Shampoo/Conditioner/Body Wash (Spiced Vanilla): this smells divine, a warm and spicy vanilla, the type of scent I love year 'round. Lather was meh though, and sometimes I'd have to add more to my poofy thing halfway through my shower.  

CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser: my sis and I both use this (she gets the big bottle in her shower, and I refill my travel bottle from it as needed), but I wound up with the empty bottle this time, so I'm counting it 😛 Basic staple that I've bought numerous times, will buy again, and always keep in rotation.

Batiste Dry Shampoo (Original): I loved the travel can I had of this, but the full size has left me with some mixed feelings. It's super white, but that all shakes out easily and seems to disappear, so it's not a huge concern to me in the end. But after 2-3 days, this leaves terrible buildup on my scalp, and I wind up with little white flakes/bits throughout my roots that I get super self-conscious about. In an attempt to mitigate this, I started turning my head upside down and really working it through with my fingers, shaking it out of my hair (borderline violently lol) before doing my final brush through, and that helped a good bit. But then, about halfway through the can, it was as if all the powder was gone. Shaking the can well before each use is an ingrained habit for me now, so I'm not sure that was my fault. I have more of these to use up (there was a sale, and I thought I loved it lol), so maybe I'll have better luck with the rest. It does do a good job of making my hair look clean again, even if it takes some extra effort, so it's not all bad.

IMG_20210916_142032870.jpg

Spoiler
Pacifica Purify Facial Wipes: the coconut scent is a little over the top for me, but they cleanse well. I have one more pack that I'll use up, but based on the scent, these wouldn't be a rebuy for me even if they weren't discontinued. Would try other Pacifica wipes though. 

DrPacker Vita Lightening Cocktail mask: light scent, decent fit, good moisture.

bioBelle Unicornglow Mask: I was thrilled when I realized that about half of my 2021 mask stash is made up of the old bioBelle masks, as they are still way above and beyond everything else I've ever tried. Super thin fabric, low or no scent, good fit, great moisture.

Soap & Glory Pore Refining Mask: strong eucalyptus scent I could do without, but overall, not a bad mask. Have a couple more that I will use up without complaint, though I likely wouldn't buy again.

Skyn Iceland Eye Gels: fine

Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser (10 packets): basic staple for me. Falls into the "I'm not sure I'd buy it, but I'll happily use up whatever samples I get" category for me. I always reach for the mini bottles first, but recently discovered I've let over 50 packets build up, so now's the time to finish those off lol. 

Hempz Citrine Crystal & Quartz Lotion: I really liked the scent of this one, a sweet (but not too sweet), juicy citrus, tangerine maybe?, with perhaps a touch of a dry/woody undertone to ground it. Fabulous summery scent.

Peach & Lily Glass Skin Serum: I believe this is the last of my samples, finally. I like it fine, but have plenty of other niacinamide samples I like too, so it's not a rebuy at the moment.

Yuni Shower Sheet: I like the product fine, it does its job well, I'm just not keen on the scent, it can go a smidge sour on my skin. I have a few more I'll use up eventually, but won't be buying any.

@RGbrown Haha I'm working on a Skittles chapstick right now! Great work!

@Samtian 

Skittles is such a great theme for a lip balm 🌈

YTD 253

Notes in the spoiler!

IMG_20210902_221628139.jpg

Spoiler
BBW Peach Bellini candle: classic scent from BBW that burns well and smells fantastic

FAB Face Moisturizer: basic staple that gives me the moisture I need without being too heavy. I have a couple more in use now, and would absolutely use it again in the future, maybe even buy with a good deal.

IGK Direct Flight Dry Shampoo: I hate their other dry shampoo, the charcoal one that so many seem to love...it dries my roots out instantly, making my hair feel like straw, so I wasn't all that curious about this one until I saw it in Boxy Popup one month for $6; for that, I was more than willing to give it a shot, and now I'm sad I did. 🤣 This is surprisingly fantastic! I hate product feel, and this does have some, but it's not stiff or gritty at all, it just gave my hair a little extra texture and volume that most dry shampoos I've tried can't quite match. It sprays out with little to no white stuff at all, and left zero residue on my scalp (with many dry shampoos, after 2-3 days, I start getting little white bits/flakes forming, but not with this one). The drawback is that it didn't always last all day against my powerfully oily hair and skin, so I might have to touch up later in the day (but frankly, nothing does lately). But overall? Definitely on my "actively watching for deals" list!

PTR Cucumber Gel Mask: declutter. Forgot I even had it, found it while moving some stuff around. I've never found this does much for me, and I'm fairly certain this tub was probably 3/4 full before it mostly dried out to this current barely a thin layer in the bottom of the jar that I'm tossing.

Sara Happ The Dream Slip: if y'all take nothing else from my mini reviews here, please please please give this stuff a shot if you are struggling with dry lips. My lips are dry, and I have a ridiculous lip balm habit during the day to combat it, but I struggled for years to find anything that I liked for night use. Everything I've ever tried left me waking up to dry, parched lips, forcing me to reach for balm before I even got up to go to the bathroom (including Laneige, Skyn Arctic Berry Lip, Neosporin Lip Therapy, and several more I've forgotten by now, along with multiple layering combos). But no more! This stuff sticks around on my lips all night, and they are soft every morning. I can even forget about my lip balm habit for up to an hour or so after I get up. It's thick, kind of a creamy balm, and doesn't take much per use; with once daily use (and the occasional second use during the day if my lips are particularly irritated for some reason), this has lasted me since early June 2019...that's 2 years and 3 months. While I hate the $34 price tag, it has been well worth every single penny, and I have a backup ready to go! I've also got the Tatcha Kissu Lip Mask lined up from gratis to try, so we'll see how they compare. 

Sky Organics Tahitian Vanilla lip balm: perfectly lovely clear balm. Nothing special but nothing terrible either. Would use again, or even buy if I came across another deal (I think this was a random Amazon cheapie at some point in the past).

FAB Ultra Repair Cream Candy Cane: I love a good minty foot cream; this isn't quite as thick as I like for that purpose, but the fantastic peppermint scent of this one makes it worth using every now and again anyways.

Tinkle razor: basic dermaplaning staple; these are easy to use and I like the low price point. I have more, and will buy again.

Revolution Skincare Multi Peptide Serum: another declutter. I really don't remember how old this is, but I tried to simplify my routine at one point and set this off to the side because my BHA already has peptides in it. It's got no scent, and I don't recall having any issues with piling or any other application troubles...it's just a victim of downsizing.

Peach & Lily Glass Skin Serum: my skin likes niacinamide, and I like freebies; would absolutely use again.

Lancome L'Absolu Lacquer: declutter, not because I don't like it (the Lacquers are one of my all time favorite formulas), but because I discovered it has dried out, turning into a thick goopy mess. No worries, I of course have the full size already 😋

IMG_20210902_221307473.jpg

The 2020 sticky note indicates I *finally* finished off my 2020 sheet masks. Yay! Ulta Yuzu and S&G are both ones I've used several times and liked. Julep was new to me, and the essence and mask were nice; the included sleeping mask was a bit heavy for me, but someone with drier skin would probably find it quite nice. I'd actually consider repurchasing this one with a good deal even if I'd skip or repurpose step 3; the mask material was super thin, lightweight and fit me well, and I don't recall a scent at all.

While I have been paying attention to my sheet masks lately, I keep forgetting to keep up with my eye gels (whoops); these Skyn ones don't have exp dates printed on them, but some of mine are quite old and I have collected dozens, so I'm going to try to start using them up too! In any case, I can't really tell that they do much other than feel cooling for a bit; while these fall into the "never purchase" category for me, I don't dislike them either and will use them up.

My first 2021 mask was The Oozoo Cocoon Silk Fresh Capsule Mask, and I didn't like it much at all 😐 The serum is milky (which always freaks me out for some reason), and borderline slimy. The sheet itself was tiny. And the scent was reminiscent of lavender + cleaning products, not in a good way. Sadly, I have more of these, and once again, I am reminded of a lesson I forget from time to time...don't buy a bunch of something unless you've tested it before, no matter how good the deal is (I think these were $1.xx)...

@RGbrown, a belated congratulations for working through your 2020 sheet masks! 🎉 That is such a feat! Good for you! 👊

@itsfi 

Thanks so much! It's so nice to finally be caught up...now to stay on top of the rest!

@RGbrown, once I got to my 2021 sheet mask purchases, it took me a while to get used to the idea that I didn't have to first organize my sheet masks by expiration date. I still find myself doing that out of habit; and then also doing a double take when it has a 2023 or 2024 expiration date. Here's to staying on top of them!

YTD 235

Notes in the spoiler!

IMG_20210814_164149780~2.jpg

Spoiler
Homeworx Bahama Breeze candle: decent throw on this one (I've found they can be hit or miss), but I still feel like their candles burn way too quickly for how expensive they are. At least they burn evenly, and leave next to nothing when done.

Ulta Papaya Blossom candle: excellent throw, good burn time. I'm not overly fond of this particular scent, and I think Ulta could do a better job describing their fragrances online, but overall, I think Ulta candles are a pretty decent buy with a good sale.

Tula Purifying Cleanser: I've talked about this one before so I'll keep it short, but this is one of my absolute favorite cleansers. Deep clean without stripping my skin or leaving me feeling tight and dry. Have many more samples, and would buy with a good sale.

Jack Black Nighttime Bak-Up Retinol Alternative: I didn't realize this had fragrance in it before I opened it; while it's a lovely, masculine-leaning, woody type scent, I try and avoid frag in my facial skincare, so I used it up on my chest. It was perfectly fine for a moisturizer, perhaps a touch slick/siliconey feeling for my taste, but soaked in well. This isn't a large enough sample to see if it had any sort of long-term results, of course, but I'd use more if I ever got any.

Donna Karan Cashmere Mist deo: I'm normally a basic Secret Outlast gal, but I got this in a gwp and LOVE it. The scent is simply fantastic, warm and comforting, and it works really well to boot. I can never bring myself to spend $29 on a deo, but I've got one more mini I'm hoarding for a bit, and would be thrilled to get more in another gwp.

Omorovicza Ultramoor Mud Mask: another item I've talked about recently, so I'll just say: pure magic, true love.

Hempz foot cream: whoops, this was actually in one of my last batches, and just before I threw it out, I realized I could probably squeeze one more use out of it...so I did, then threw it right back in my empties bag instead of tossing the tube lol.

Burt's Bees Fabulously Fresh Peppermint & Rosemary Body Wash: I forgot how much I love this stuff. If you like minty minty mint stuff, you'd love this. Cooling and tingly, excellent mint scent, great lather. Sadly, it appears it has been discontinued, but I have one more bottle I will treasure.

Ulta Fall Leaves lotion: love the scent, sort of a spiced plum fragrance, warm and cozy but not overly sweet. I didn't like the formula much though, it's very lightweight with a slippery feel that didn't feel very moisturizing or last very long...I had to re-up several spots later in the day whenever I used this. But...Ulta has changed their lotion formula this year, and it looks like it might be a little richer/thicker, so I'll happily give their new stuff a try at some point.

Wella Nutricurls Micellar Shampoo & Detangling Conditioner: Wella has become a bit of a sleeper hit to me...I'd never even heard of the brand 3-4 years ago, but after trying their FusionPlex line and absolutely loving it, I decided to give this a shot as well, and you know what? I love it too, perhaps even a smidge more. My hair is clean, but not overly stripped, and so incredibly soft and bouncy and shiny with practically zero frizz, even if I follow up with zero styling products after a shower. Simply amazing stuff! I've got full sizes (liters, no less) of FusionPlex that I'm working through now, but NutriCurls will likely be my next purchase once those are done.

Lip Smacker Watermelon balm: perfectly lovely basic balm, fun watermelon scent. A touch soft, this one liked to break off tiny little pieces from the sides, leaving me with extra bits on my lips that I'd have to wipe off (or rub in), but all in all, I'm not mad at it, and while I think this was my only tube of this particular flavor, I tend to keep several tubes of Lip Smackers on hand because they're decent balms with a great price. 

Urban Skin Rx Retinol Rapid Repair & Dark Spot Treatment: Decently formulated retinol at a decent price. I stocked up on some clearance sets from Target after Xmas, but even the everyday price of $24.99/1oz from Ulta isn't terrible. I've been through two full sizes and at least a couple of these minis now, and I like it enough to keep using it. The consistency and scent remind me of Paula's Choice 1% retinol, and while it's not a complete dupe, of course, for less than half the price, I'm happy with the results.

La Roche-Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Cleanser: I think this is the first LRP product I've ever tried? I have to say, I really liked this cleanser; I found it strikingly similar to the CeraVe Foaming Cleanser (which I also adore) in terms of consistency and results...it cleans my oily skin well without stripping it dry. I've got a bazillion other cleanser samples to get through, but this is one I'd consider purchasing with the right deal, if I ever needed to buy something. 

Hempz Star Jasmine & Vanilla lotion: while it's not a perfect dupe, this smells an awful lot like the old Jasmine & Vanilla from BBW's Aromatherapy line, which I adored at one point, and consider to be one of my all time favorite scents. Love the scent, love the lotion, and have another mini or two and even a full size from a recent sale.

IMG_20210814_164333138.jpg

Sheets masks + misc, all good!

Good to know about the LRP cleanser @RGbrown. I’m set with cleansers for this season when my skin is oilier than usual but I’ll check out the LRP one another time - cleansing without stripping the skin dry is an excellent result! 😃

YTD 213

Notes in the spoilers!

IMG_20210716_215143747.jpg

Spoiler
Tree Hut Peppermint Frost Scrub: I love the Tree Hut scrubs. Plenty of grit, and they don't leave my shower floor slippery. I could have used a touch more mint in the scent of this one so I won't repurchase it in particular, but I have more scrubs from the brand and always look forward to them!

Matrix High Amplify Dry Shampoo: I avoided this one for the longest time because the name made it sound like it would have some sort of texture or hairspray element to it (I generally dislike product feel in dry shampoos immensely), but no, it's just a very lightweight dry shampoo that didn't leave my hair stiff or tacky in any way. Low white stuff coming out of the can, and shakes out easily. It wasn't the best I've tried, but lately, very little tackles my oily bangs well, so while I don't discount it completely, it's not something I'll be buying. Would try again though, especially once the humidity dies down.

Valjean Labs Niacinamide + Zinc: for $6ish at TJM, it's hard to beat to value of this. My skin loves niacinamide, and while I'll try most any sample that heads my way, I'll happily pick up more of this if/when I need to actually buy something.

Hempz Blueberry Lavender + Chamomile Lotion: I found this on my desk doing a smidge of straightening and can't imagine why I hadn't tossed it before (I got it in a gwp a year, maybe even two years ago?). While I have found a couple of instances of lavender-based scents that don't make me gag, this is definitely not one of them; adding blueberry and chamomile did not help this one single bit, IMHO. 

Philosophy Lemon Custard Hand Cream: love the scent and texture of this. It's not quite empty, but it was my "car lotion", and AL heat does a number on those pretty quickly, sadly.

Phyto Phytojoba Moisturizing Mask: did very little (errr, nothing) for my hair, and while my ends can be dry, I don't think they're that dry. Meh.

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion: true love basic AF face lotion for my oily visage. Works great, and I have more to use up.

Omorovicza Ultramoor Mud Mask: true love but sadly not-so-cheap mask. Works wonders at pulling up goop from below, and I swear my face looks tighter and plumper for up to three days afterwards as well. I'll never pay full price, but will keep hoarding samples as I can!

Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant: I've become enchanted with powder cleansers lately, and I hoped to love this one, but I could do without the scrubby bits in it. As much as I love a good scrub, I'm very purposeful with them these days, rarely scrubbing my face more than a couple of times a month; using this felt like I needed to cut out my other scrubs, which was a bit of a bummer. I have another mini I might use up eventually, but this isn't something that I'll watch out for in the future. 

PTR Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream: as an oily gal, anything titled "cream" automatically scares me...I want lighter lotions or water-gel type stuff. This was nice though, lighter than I expected. I've got other cheaper loves that I'll continue to purchase, but I'd be more than willing to use up more samples of this if I come across any. 

IMG_20210716_215226430.jpg

Spoiler
The Biobelle and Ulta masks are both great, a true love and a strong like that I will miss dearly. Love the shower tablets as well.

Skyn Iceland Arctic Hydration Rubberizing Mask: I think this is my first ever rubber mask, and it was interesting. I'm assuming it's a similar method to others in the field: mix the powder and the gel, then apply and let dry. I was vaguely worried it might be somewhat similar to a "peel-off" (I haven't dermaplaned in a while), but thankfully it doesn't dry down tight enough to grab hairs or anything like that lol. I got most of it off in one piece, though a couple of thinner spots near the edges broke off and had to be pulled up separately. It left my face somewhere between tacky and oily though...being oily already, this is perhaps way too much for my skin, especially in humid summer weather. For drier types though, I bet this is fantastic, and would even work great as a primer step before makeup. I've got another...can't decide yet if I should try it again this winter, or just get rid of it, but I guess I've got some time to sleep on a decision 😛   

Good to know about the Valjean Labs serum @RGbrown. It's been a while since I've been in TJ Maxx / Marshall's but I would often see a shelf full of serums from the brand; it always made me think of Jean Valjean from Les Mis and then I'd have songs from the musical playing in my head while in the store and afterwards. 😁 Not a bad thing but it's hard to get the songs out of my head once they start. lol. 

@itsfi 

I've been happy with the Valjean stuff I've tried, especially considering the bottles are nearly 2oz. I use their Vitamin E + Ferulic Acid for an extra boost with my vitamin C too. I'm happy this seems to be something TJM nearly always has in stock...sometimes it might take me a couple of trips to restock a specific item, but I always wind up finding it eventually (and hey, what's a trip to TJM without another nail polish I didn't need, so it's a win either way 🤣 )

I saw Les Mis once as a kid, but don't remember much of the music at all 😬 Perhaps that's a good thing? lol

@RGbrown, that’s a good combo - vit E and ferulic with your vit C. Much more friendly on the wallet than Skinceuticals.

Hahaha! I saw Les Mis on a trip to NY so it stays in my memory. I love the music but I really don’t need to have it in my head for that long after a TJ Maxx Valjean Labs sighting. 😆 And more to the point, those around me tire of it quickly. Ha! Yes!! Every TJM I’ve been to in and outside of the state seems to always have an ample supply of that brand. Sometimes I wonder if it’s a TJM private label; there’s always so much of it! 

YTD 199 

At the halfway point of the year, I'm kinda surprised I have this many empties since I've slowed down with my "try all the things" approach and am mostly just sticking to known, tried and true loves. But it's most likely fueled by my push to finish off my sheet masks and finally catch up on all these expired ones 😋

Notes in the spoiler!

IMG_20210702_153701014.jpg

Spoiler
Huntington Home Vanilla Candle: an excellent value at only $3.99 from Aldi. Strong scent, nice throw, a warm and comforting vanilla that isn't overly sweet or baked-goods-esque. Will absolutely buy again.

Clarins Lip Oil (Blackberry): while it's true that I find Ulta's lip oil to be a very close approximation of this one in both feel and longevity, nothing beats that fancy feeling of the massive applicator in this one, and I love the purple tint to this one (never mind the fact that I wear it to bed, so literally no one ever sees it lol). I have another Clarins or two in my stash, and will happily use them up alongside my Ulta ones, and will even eagerly repurchase with a good deal.

Hempz Butter Me Up! Salted Toffee Herbal Hand & Foot Creme: this is my second tube, and while I would have given it maybe 3 stars after the first one, I'd bump that up to maybe 3.5 or even 4 now. Perhaps my winter feet are just that much drier, but this tube did a pretty nice job of keeping my feet relatively soft for the last couple of months. Have more and will use them up, though in the end, this isn't one I'd repurchase as I have others I like better. 

Scent Organix I Am Bright (Pineapple & Salted Coconut): I've been through a 4pk sampler from the brand now, and they are all simple scents that are just lovely. Nothing complex or fancy, but easy to wear and easy to like. This one wasn't overly sweet, just a light, fruity, summery scent.  

Ulta Sunscreen Lip Balm (Watermelon): I haven't tried tons of sunscreen balms, but I have to say this line is the best of all I've used. It's not gritty or clumpy or slimy, no sunscreen aftertaste, just a nice basic balm. Too bad it's been discontinued 🙄

Dionis Goat Milk Lip Balm (Peppermint): a bit of a sleeper, IMHO. I can't stand goat milk anything, so I've ignored the brand for years, but wound up picking this up on a whim, and I have to say, it's a good balm, and a fantastic value. At 8g, it's double the size of most standard stick balms, and for $5, it's practically a steal. I don't find it any better or worse than my usual staples of Burt's Bees and Lip Smackers...just a decent basic balm at a nice price. Would buy again.

Bumble Pret-a-Powder Dry Shampoo (x2): Summer humidity has struck, and the combo of bangs + oily skin is proving to be a formidable enemy. I've loved this for years, but it's not quite enough for me anymore, and I'm using twice as much per night now. This was never on my buy list anyways, due to price (unless I found a stellar sale), but once I finish off the last of my minis (yes, I still have more lol), I'll probably bid this one adieu for good...or at least until cooler weather and lower humidity prevail.

Redken Clear Moisture Shampoo: cleansed my hair well without being too drying, though I prefer another shampoo for even more moisture. Would use again, but not looking to buy.

Batiste Dry Shampoo (original): this one has made me rethink all of my dry shampoos lately. It's been so long since I've used one that sprays soooo much white stuff out immediately (like this one) that I forgot I actually kinda like that? So many of the ones I've used recently have been very low on the white stuff scale, which seems like a good thing...but I feel like I have to use way more of those to take care of my oily mop, which leads to a good bit of buildup on my scalp (which can be a flaky mess by day 3 or 4), and I speed through them fairly quickly. In any case, Batiste is a scary white mess right off the bat, but it all shakes out easily, and I don't seem to get nearly as much build up. I've got a bazillion other dry shampoos to get through, but Batiste is definitely on my rebuy list at some point...would love to give it another shot soon.  

Bravo Sierra Dry Shampoo: This was the one I finished off immediately prior to trying the Batiste. It's got a fantastic scent (cedar and something, unisex but masculine leaning), and there's not much white stuff at all, but I felt like I used it way too quickly for a 5oz can. I've got oily hair, and an oily face, and bangs that hang on that oily forehead, so any dry shampoo I use has got its work cut out for it, especially here in the humid south, and this one just wasn't quite up for the challenge. If another one showed up at my doorstep, I'd use it...maybe it would be better for me in the winter, but I'm not looking to rebuy.

Exuviance Hydrasoothe Refresh Toner: one of my favorite acid toners. It's got PHA instead of AHA, so it's a touch gentler than many acid toners, and it is alcohol-free. I have another and will absolutely rebuy in the future.

Wella Fusionplex Shampoo: my current favorite shampoo, and perhaps my favorite of all-time. While I try a sample of others from time to time, nothing even comes close to this one for me. It cleans my hair well, and also manages to make it feel conditioned; my hair is immediately soft. I only need touch of conditioner on the ends after using this shampoo, and my hair comes out soft and fluffy with the least amount of frizz I've ever had. I've got another bottle this size *and* a liter (conditioner too!) in the closet. I love it that much!

IMG_20210702_153834659.jpg

Sheet masks, all good! This batch heralds the end of my stash of the bioBelle hydrogels, which was a sort of bittersweet finale...they were incredibly obnoxious in their slipperiness, but the serum was really nice. I've only got 9 more 2020 masks to go now, and then I'll finally be caught up to 2021! 👀

@RGbrown, I had no idea Clarins made a blackberry lip oil Not sure why I didn't, but I'm going to have to pick that one up at some point. I've tried the raspberry one and the honey version. Both good.

@itsfi 

Perhaps it's at some other retailers as well, but it's not at Ulta (which is pretty much the only place I shop lol), so I grabbed it from their direct site. One of my sisters pointed it out to me there, otherwise I'm not sure I'd know it existed either 😅

YTD 181

IMG_20210607_135237110_HDR.jpg

Huntington Home Pomander & Cypress candle: ALDI love! They had assorted 3pks of these tins during the holidays for $5. I picked up a few, then promptly forgot all about them lol. This one was right up my alley...citrus, woods, spice, nom nom nom, a fantastic holiday scent that I love year round 💕 The wick on this one was a bit off-center, and it left a little wax on the bottom due to that, but not much was left behind, and frankly, for the price, I'm unbothered by this...now I can open the tin for a little sniff whenever I want (until my inner neat freak wins the battle against my inner hoarder and I finally toss it out 🤣)

Ulta Cozy Berry candle: some of Ulta's scents don't agree with me, but in general, most of their candles burn well and have a pretty decent throw. Worth $20? Nope, but get 'em on sale and they're a decent buy! This was a nice warm berry that I'd pick up again with a deal. 

Homeworx Jasmine & White Peach candle: really lovely soft peach scent when cold, but the throw was just average. Burned well, no tunneling, but I would have loved a bit more oomph when burning.

St Tropez exfoliating mitt: I love using this in conjunction a body scrub once or twice a week. This one has lasted me about a year or so now, I think, and has finally worn out. (I throw it in the washer with my towels once a month or so, then hang it back up to dry.) I have another on hand, and will keep buying as long as they keep making 'em!

Peach & Lily Glass Skin Serum: just a basic staple for me, inasmuch as my skin loves pretty much any niacinamide I throw at it. Have more samples, and will absolutely keep using.

Lip Smacker Orange Crush balm: I hate hate hate orange soda, but this balm was a nice treat!

Ulta Shower Flower tablets (2 Citrus Splash, 1 Sweet Slumber): love these things!

IMG_20210607_135349135.jpg

Sheet masks, all good!

MTD = 51 Since working through all my pre-2019 foils and deluxe samples, most of the products I use are primarily full size items. Yes!!! That also means I generally have fewer monthly empties in total (not including sheet masks). Here are May's empties:

Loves - all excellent formulae and resultsLoves - all excellent formulae and results

Spoiler
These are all loves. I would happily repurchase any and all of these, if I don't already have a backup in the house. Unfortunately for me, even if I wanted to repurchase it, the Tatcha Indigo Soothing Silky Body Butter has been discontinued, which is so unfortunate. The pretty blurple hued, herbal-and-floral-scented, rich cream was so good for calming and moisturizing my dry skin. 

I have no idea how or why, but my skin really responds so well to the Laneige Radian-C Cream - my PIH dark spots and areas of discoloration continue to fade in color and my skin looks brighter.  I've picked up a couple of backups during the various May sales so my skin should be happy for a while. 

Blithe Patting Water Pack Energy Yellow Citrus & Honey is perfect for mornings when I'm running late - still happens even though my commute is now measured in steps and not miles. Ugh. The splash mask contains a heavily concentrated amount of acids so I don't use it often or too much. A capful diluted with a ton of water from the showerhead, and splashed onto my face for 30 seconds leaves me with soft, smooth, brightened skin.

Peace Out Acne Dots and Kao Megrthythm Gentle Steam Eye Masks are staples; the former is renowned for sucking out all the gunk and flattening zits in record time. It's been a must. The steam eye masks are a true gem: great for tired eyes, allergies, sinuses, migraines, insomnia or just to help unwind after a long day. There are other versions and brands out there but this is the one I keep coming back to over again. 

It was a good month for sheet masks, with most of the ones I used falling into the good or better range. These were the standouts from May. The gel-like serum in the Lapcos Nourishing Honey Mask and the milky-cream serum in  Innisfree Jeju Root Energy Mask were perfectly rich for my skin, infusing it with much needed hydration and moisture, leaving it bright and dewy. Etude House 0.2mm Air Therapy Masks are some of the most thin sheet masks I've ever used. I find the Tea Tree and Green Tea versions to be soothing, hydrating and refreshing. While I haven't tried all of the masks from this line, these two along with others are ones I could see myself using on a daily or near daily basis. Tea tree is a great ingredient for soothing the skin, but the scent can be too much for me at times, which in the past is what has kept me from picking up tea tree mask. One that I will not hesitate to pick up is the % Dr. Ceuracle Tea Tree Purifine Soothing Mask; in fact, this is currently my go-to tea tree mask. The best all around masks this month are Lovemore Herba Saussurea Involucrata Revival Mask Sheet and Leaders 17V PiBuWang Vegan Mask REST - each were hydrating, soothing, calming, brightening and nourishing. Each sounds like a jack of all trades. What differentiates them for me is that I find the Lovemore mask more moisturizing while the Leaders mask is more hydrating. Both have less than 20 ingredients.

These were all great; a few I would repurchase.These were all great; a few I would repurchase.

Spoiler
It's a really fine line between these masks and the ones in the excellent group. I would use these again and would buy a few of them at their regular price. The standouts in this group are the Go-To Transformazing Sheet Mask, the Verso Deep Hydration Mask, and the Rilakkuma Under Eye Recovery Mask (works to brighten skin and has the cutest illustration).  Also worth noting are the Leaders Labotica Argan Oil Deep Cleansing Tissue. My skin doesn't really do well with cleansing tissues as a substitute for either a first or second cleanse. I used these tissues as sort of a pre-cleanse step to remove eye makeup, including waterproof mascara. They came in handy on nights when my eyes were tired and sensitive from staring far too long at a computer screen. The sheets are rather large for just eye makeup removal so I tear apart or cut them into smaller pieces, which is why it has taken me months to finish this pack.

Top 2 rows are "good" or "fine". Last 2 rows are "meh".Top 2 rows are "good" or "fine". Last 2 rows are "meh".

Spoiler
First two rows of products are what I would consider "good" or "fine"; that is, I'd happily use them, but they're not on my "must have" list and I wouldn't feel compelled to seek them out, short of a sale. NEST Fragrances Bamboo & Jasmine Lip Balm SPF15 grew on me and I was happy about that because the scent is very relaxing. Bawdy Beauty Butt Masks are fun to use though they are rather cold on the tushie; these also make great gifts and are sure to get a reaction! lol. 

The products on the bottom two rows are "meh" - they're not irritating and they don't make me breakout, but they're also not standouts compared to similar products. The Nature Republic Real Squeeze Aloe Vera Peeling Foot Mask was the biggest disappointment of the group - the big peel I was looking for just turned out to be some flaking of dead skin at my heels.There are definitely more effective foot peels out there. 

🗑

YTD 169

Notes in the spoiler!

IMG_20210525_180508718.jpg

Spoiler
BBW Aromatherapy Body Lotion (Energy, Orange + Ginger): lovely scent, lovely lotion. I vaguely dislike the glass bottles though, as they're hard to clean out.

Urban Skin Rx Retinol Rapid Repair & Dark Spot Treatment: while this has an ingredient or two I wish it didn't (peppermint extract...why??), this is an otherwise lovely formulation packed with enough good to outweigh the bad, IMHO: niacinamide, kojic acid, alpha arbutin, azelaic acid, jojoba, squalane, vitamin e, and of course, retinol. I picked up several sets with minis after xmas and will happily use up every last bit.

OGX Argan Oil Dry Shampoo: I liked this enough that I went to make sure I had it on my Ulta loves list...only to find out Ulta doesn't carry it anymore 😕 Light scent, not stiff or gritty, and did a pretty decent job at tackling oil. 

Tula Purifying Face Cleanser: one of my all time favorite cleansers. This is great at getting my oily face clean without stripping it. The scent takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not terrible, just a weird sort of herbal-ish scent that I've grown to not-hate lol.

Clarins Lotus Oil: This is a great oil for my oily skin; it really gives my moisturizer a boost without being too heavy or greasy, and I swear it even helps keep hormonal breakouts at bay. Pricy, but worth every penny. I have a full size ready to go!

Burt's Bees Ginger Lime Lip Balm: a mild scent somewhere between earthy and spicy that I liked quite a bit.

Kiehl's Calendula Herbal Extract Toner: perfectly lovely alcohol-free toner that I use in the mornings, or on days I'm skipping the acid toner. I likely won't buy it, but appreciate any and all samples I get, and have a couple more lined up for use.

Essie Smooth-e Base Coat: I'm a diehard Butter Nail Foundation fan for a ridge-filling base coat, but this was a nice alternative, a runner-up that's a little easier to find (and much cheaper as well). I got this one in a GWP, but I'd consider buying if I ever needed something quick and easy to grab.

It Cosmetics Confidence in a Gel Lotion: I have to say I really like this! Lightweight but plenty moisturizing, no scent. CeraVe trumps it based on price, but I'll happily use any samples, and would even consider buying with a good deal.

Scent Organix I Am Radiant (Lily of the Valley & Jasmine): Not bad for a floral (from someone who generally dislikes florals lol). A light and fresh scent, it made a lovely pillow mist. 

Paula's Choice Resist Daily Pore Refining Treatment 2% BHA: my daily BHA, I can't ever imagine a time I'll be without this. Watery texture that soaks in immediately and does a great job of keeping pores clear. I use the 4% and even 9% occasionally as well, but as long as I'm good with this most every day, I don't need the stronger ones very often.

Wella FusionPlex Conditioner: this has become my favorite conditioner; it tames frizz without weighing my hair down, and just always makes it look great with minimal fuss. 

IMG_20210525_180708895.jpg

Sheet masks, all perfectly lovely and will be sorely missed

8,134 Replies
testing