Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Empties

I love seeing other peoples empties! So I decided to make a board where people could post pictures of their empties, or just tell us about them! I'd also be interested in knowing whether you're repurchasing anything or not.

Re: Empties

That it is. It's EPIC! O.O

Haha, and it all fit in an average-sized paper shopping bag. I'm with you on the trash thing. I had a friend who had a Tumblr dedicated to a photo a day of everything she threw out that day. It was addicting.

Hot tamales!  That must've been quite the bag!!!  

What a great collection of empties to look at though!  I love looking at empties like I love looking at biore strips! Thank you for the eye candy!   I can't stop looking!  

I'm noticing you don't cut your packaging open to get the stuff that doesn't sqeeze out the little hole in the tubes.  You can get A LOT of extra product out of "empty" tubes this way.  It's surprising how much stays in there!  I've gotten anywhere from two days to two weeks worth of extra product depending on what it is. 

Keep your plastic sample containers and scrape the contents into them with a mini spatula.  For the price per ounce of product it's a waste not to;)  

unless,of course, you don't like the product.  

I cut into my Origins charcoal mask (another love that I repurchased at the holiday sale), but I think some of the other samples I was just ready to be done with. Dang, Clinique can shove a lot of product in a little squeeze tube. Good value for your money, I guess.

As for the jar tip, I think I'll have to take you up on it. I hated the Philosophy stuff, so it was a good excuse to bin it, but I now have an eye cream in a jar that I like but hate the packaging. I think I'm going to repurpose some plastic spoons from takeout. I can use one a day and wash them when my collection dwindles, and it will prevent cross-contamination.

PS: Is there some name for compulsive Biore strip looking? Because it's amaze-awful (awf-mazing?) and I love it.

Wow!  Did you gain any new loves along your journey through these?

Loves/Repurchases:

• GlamGlow Brightmud eye treatment
  • Sephora Collection paper masks
  • Sephora Collection lip balm
  • YSL Touche Eclat
  • YuBe lotion
  • Anastasia waterproof mascara topcoat
  • Burt's Bees sensitive makeup remover wipes
  • Sephora Collection waterproof makeup remover
  • Wet 'n' Wild waterproof mascara (although now I only get mascara samples)
  • YSL, Bobbi Brown, and Marc Jacobs mascara samples that I always get more samples of when I can.

Hates:

• Philosophy Take a Deep Breath and Hope in a Jar Night creams. The jar packaging is awful.
  • Gorgeous Cosmetics lipstick. Both tubes went moldy after fewer than 6 months of use, a first time I've ever had lipstick go bad before it's at least a few years old.
  • Josie Maran Argan Black Oil mascara. Tammy Faye—level clumps and the formula was hard to remove even with waterproof cleanser.
  • L'occitane Immortelle Precious Cream. It made my skin burn and I had to wipe it off after a few seconds.
  • Milani baked eyeshadow. Bloggers kept raving about Milani, which I'd always dismissed as a cheap drugstore brand. I should have stayed strong, instead I ended up with a glitter bomb eyeshadow that had no color payoff.

Aren't the Burt's Bees wipes the best? I like the white package and the green too (cucumber and sage-soothing). Much better than more expensive alternatives I've tried!

Impressive collection of empties. I love looking at it but my husband would kill me if I left all that trash inside 😛 

You had me at Tammy Faye!

wow!! O.o great job!

Ha, thanks!

Holy used collection, Batman!  Seeing all of this stuff together is awesome.  I bet it felt amazing to know all of that stuff went to good use.

It was crazy to pull it all out of its bag. I already have quite a few items for January 2015, and I'm excited that not all of them are samples.

Wow! I am impressed. I honestly can't remember the last time I finished a full size item and you have plenty of those in addition to samples.

A lot of the full-size stuff took me more than a year to finish, and some I gave up on halfway. But I really tried to make myself use things up this past year and to weed out unused and unwanted things. That way I could break into my newest pretties. 🙂

This is my second month of keeping empties.  I am finding it to be very satisfying!

IMG_2021.jpg

Would/Have Repurchase:

Big Sexy Hair Get Layered - this was a really good hold hairspray

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel in Original and Extra Strength - love and already had backups

Amande Shower Gel - this was rich feeling and had a fairly nice scent

Origins Checks and Balances Face Wash - have been through many bottles of this

Lush Silky Underwear powder - I love this scent and formula

Lush Rose Jam Shower Gel - this is probably the only rose fragrance I like

Dr Dennis Gross Clinical Concentrate Hydration Booster - good hydration, easy to combine with other products

Glam Glow Supermud Mask - I liked this, I don't know if I love it for the price but have a backup mini

Lush Big Conditioner - like many things Lush, this smells so good I want to eat it

Kiehl's Creme de Corps - this was a good light moisturizer with minimal fragrance, I would consider buying it in the future

Would Not Repurchase:

HUM Runway Ready Vitamins - I bought these because I feel like I've been shedding a lot lately, not sure if it's coincidence but I broke out in several bouts of cystic acne for the month I took these.  Went away as soon as I stopped.

Agave Nectar Oil - this made my hair SO ridiculously full of static

Lush Helping Hands Hand Cream - this was so/so, there are so many other Lush creams I like better

Alterna Lengthening Hair & Scalp Elixer - this was also so/so to me

AG Fast Food Leave in Conditioner - not the first bottle of this I have bought but I now feel like it leaves a residue, on the hunt for something better

Alegenist Firming and Lifting Cream, Oil, and Serum - great products, I have other favorites and probably won't ever purchase these

This may seem like an obvious question.  What is underwear powder?  I definitely want to explore that particular brand more and am intrigued as to how one would wear it and what purpose it would serve.

I used my second to last DDG peel pad today and am bummed that I have no backups.  They are really dry now though, so I have to put water on them to use them.  It is my fault, because they probably only stay dry for 4 months while you use them.  I took a couple weeks off, so it has been almost 5 months.

I love Kiehl's Creme de Corps as well.

Okay.  I think I'll pass then, because I am not a huge baby powder fan.  I pictured it as a powder someone put in their underwear (and shook out so it did not travel into unwanted areas).  Almost like a powdered perfume of sorts.  

Notcreative, Silky Underwear is along the lines of baby powder but slightly different.  It has extremely finely grated cocoa butter in it so it moisturizes but it also absorbs sweat.  It is meant as a "underwear" dusting powder to both absorb unwanted sweat and reduce friction.  It has a beautiful light scent (jasmine and vetiver I believe).  I think it helps reduce shave irritation really well.  The reviews on their site show people find all kinds of creative uses for it!  I go through a ton of them every year (hate the smell of baby powder and hate the idea of using talc).  A tiny bit goes a long way!

I love looking at other people's trash 😉 here is mine:

DecEmpties.jpg

Loved:

• L'Occitane crème- went through this rather quickly but already bought another one
  • Tatcha hand cream- I already bought the full size

Maybe:

• TNS eye cream sample - this was a nice, light cream but wish it came in a pump or tube and not a jar.
  • Chanel Sublimage eye cream: I really saw a difference using this but sometimes had it "pill" a bit on my skin. I would definitely repurchase if it came in a pump.
  • Vichy deodorant- this worked really well but the scent was kind of masculine. I prefer the sensitive/unscented version
  • Kerastase hair cream- worked well and not as heavily scented as most of their products. I may repurchase if I don't try something new instead
  • Algenist cream- I really liked the texture of this one, might buy a full size
  • CereVe lotion- I had to mix this with a heavier cream because it wasn't enough on it's own but liked the exfoliation

Would not repurchase:

• chanel hand cream- not really moisturizing enough for me but I was determined to finish it because I liked the scent and I like the packagin. It took well over a year so I am surprised I actually finished it. I used a lot of other products in the interim that I liked better.
testing