Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

Which brand excludes alcohols, silicones, phthalate, petroleum?

I've been trying to avoid alcohols and petroleum for the last year , and just recently learn that silicones can dehydrate skin instead of hydrating as the products claim. Now it makes my search a lot harder. I'm sensitive, dehydrated combo-dry. I do get milia, and avoiding mineral oil seems to help , but dehydration still an issue. I do drink tons and tons of water a day. Thank you for the help !

Re: Which brand excludes alcohols, silicones, phthalate, petroleum?

Some silicones, including dimethicone, do actually prevent dehydration—they're occlusive, so they seal in moisture and prevent it being lost to the dry air. Same goes for mineral oil/propylene glycol, petrolatum, and fatty alcohols like cetyl/stearyl alcohol. Occlusives are essential in dry places and seasons. That said, there are lots of commonly used occlusive ingredients if you prefer some over others.

So the basics of preventing dehydration are 1) applying moisturizer ASAP after cleansing/bathing, 2) avoiding unnecessary drying/irritating ingredients (e.g. non-fatty alcohols), 3) a well-formulated humectant (e.g. a low-molecular weight hyaluronic acid) to bring water up from deeper layers of your skin and keep the outer layer hydrated and 4) an occlusive to seal that moisture in so it doesn't evaporate. Most moisturizers contain both humectants and occlusives, as well as emollients and other good stuff. I'd give you product recommendations, but I'm currently on the hunt for one not only has minimal nasties, but is at least vegetarian and neither tested on animals nor associated with any entity that does. Youth to the People, Biossance, and Kora Organics are promising, but I'm still looking into the companies and going through the ingredients.

Re: Which brand excludes alcohols, silicones, phthalate, petroleum?

I have combination skin, with a sensitivity to silicone—my skin is much brighter, clearer and less red since I stopped using products with silicones and completely worth the effort of reading ingredients carefully. I've tried a few of the Herbivore skincare products, including the Moon Fruit Superfruit Night Treatment, they have only natural ingredients. I've also tried a treatment from Drunk Elephant, which is another brand that Sephora carries that is silicone-free. Sephora doesn't have many options for silicone-free foundation or sunscreen (most of these have dimethicone), but there are some great natural options available elsewhere. 

Anonymous Insider

I recently started using Briogen brand hair products that...

I recently started using Briogen brand hair products that I find very effective. Mainly plant based and most of what you're looking for... Although I think they contain alcohols. Another thing I find frustrating is that the ingredient exclusions are not consistent across products. Outside of Sephora you can check out the Yes To... (carrots, coconut, tomatoes, etc.) line and Live Clean. Unfortunately, they contain alcohols. That's a hard one to eliminate 😞 Good luck!
3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing