Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

What are your thoughts on inclusion of menthol in products?

I shy away from products with menthol (or its derivatives) because I don't care for the tingling sensation - sometimes it even stings.  Yet, companies still include this in many products.  Do you mind the menthol?  Thoughts?

RE: What are your thoughts on inclusion of menthol in products?

it can progress aging and it overly dries the skin. especially when in toners..

Re: What are your thoughts on inclusion of menthol in products?

I love anything cooling, tingly, stinging, even mild burning. What?? Can't get enough! I'm probably not supposed to like it, but I do lol.

I grew up without much, if any, skincare training or advice...my mother never had oily/acne prone skin like I did, and she never had any sort of skincare routine outside of a bar of soap in the shower, so she simply bought me the harshest cleansers she could find, along with a bufpuf and a bottle of sea breeze (which is pretty much straight alcohol iirc). After many years of that routine, I actually miss the sting of alcohol on a freshly scrubbed-to-the-bone face, even though I know it's so terribly bad. I avoid alcohol now like a good girl, but I do like me some menthol/peppermint/etc products from time to time. That tingle still means "clean" to me to this day.

I hate Menthol in products! Anytime i buy skincare and makeup i always check to make sure it's not an ingredient! It's irritating to skin and i also hate that tingling. 

I don't react to it in a particularly negative way. I have a brief sting/tingle and then it passes (this also means it doesn't do a really compelling job with plumping for me either). I think that as long as ingredients are deemed safe, and that they are adequately indicated on the packaging, it's fine. In particular for known irritants like menthol or cinnamon oil, it being very clearly stated in the product description and on the packaging should be enough to let people make their own decisions around what products to go for.  

It doesn't bother me, but I try to shy away from it only because I find it quite drying afterwards. It makes my lips peel a little if i use lip balm with it for an extended time. My lips seem to get "addicted" to it, so it ends up causing more trouble in the end. I don't have any problem with it in certain shampoos. I find it refreshing every now and then for that purpose.

@candyrivera Thanks for weighing in!

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing