Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

Vegan same as Cruelty Free?

This may be a stupid question but I'm really confused. I use the L'Oréal Ever Creme shampoo and conditioner bc they are both vegan BUT I know L'Oréal test on animals so I'm not sure if the vegan definition here is only for the source of the ingredients and no really for the animal protection part. Any ideas?

Re: Vegan same as Cruelty Free?

There are a couple of labels you can look for on grocery/drugstore brands to know whether they are cruelty-free or vegan. Look for images of bunnies- either Leaping Bunny certified or PETA certified- both have bunnies. Same with the vegan- look for the "100% Vegan" label. As others have said, the two are not mutually exclusive nor guarantee the other concern, i.e. cruelty-free doesn't mean vegan and vise versa. I really like Cruelty-Free Kitty to keep up to date on brand changes; she does a great job. Hope this helps!BP.jpg

https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/ultimate-guide-to-cruelty-free-makeup/

Vegan means ingredients are vegan and is cruelty free, yo...

Vegan means ingredients are vegan and is cruelty free, you can have cosmetics cruelty free but still contains animal ingredients.

RE: Vegan means ingredients are vegan and is cruelty free, yo...

Vegan actually doesn’t mean cruelty free, it just just refers to ingredients. Lots of companies that test on animals label items vegan. And cruelty free isn’t really a regulated term. There are companies that say they are CF, but still are owned by a parent company that tests or sell in markets where testing is required by law. Logical Harmony is a great resource for finding brands with truly vegan AND cruelty free products!

You are correct that it refers to ingrediants only, in ot...

You are correct that it refers to ingrediants only, in other words no ingredients are derived from animals (milk, honey, silk) and you are also correct that it is not a cruelty free brand. Another designation is "not tested in animals" meaning the final product isn't but the ingredients have been. Thank you for this question. I knew a product claiming vegan could be misleading but didn't have an example.

It really is misleading bc I know a lot of people that fe...

It really is misleading bc I know a lot of people that feels better buying a product bc it's "vegan". I was one of them of course. I wish regulations about designations would be clearer and more efficient for consumers.

RE: Vegan same as Cruelty Free?

They are separate. Vegan is ingredients only and Cruelty Free is the process.

Thank you. I was afraid of that :(

Thank you. I was afraid of that 😞
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 22 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos2
  • BP.jpg
testing