Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

Treatment for lots of scars

I am trying to find a good face wash/serum/etc, that can help with healing acne scaring but all my research has drawn up a giant blank!  It doesn't help that I have allergies/dislikes with really common ingredients; juniper, cypress, tea tree, eucalyptus, any mint, and lavender.  It also doesn't help that I've very wary brands that have natural/organic labels since I find most of them very untrustworthy and dishonest about their products.

RE: Treatment for lots of scars

Sunday Riley has a good product for scars are well

Hi...just want to clarify: do you have true scarring (mea...

Hi...just want to clarify: do you have true scarring (meaning pits in the skin) or discoloration (be it red or dark pigmentation)? I work (and have worked for 10+ years) in dermatology and if you have true pitted scars there is NO topical treatment that will get rid of them. Take your wallet and run from anyone who tries to sell you something. Only treatments designed to resurface the upper layers of the skin (laser, dermabrasion, skin pen) will treat scarring. If you have discoloration, then there are number of products designed to treat it. Just remember that if you are still breaking out you will develop new spots or scars so until acne is controlled it can be a cycle. Sorry so long but it saddens me when so many people come into our office discouraged from spending so much $$ on products that will not help them.

RE: Treatment for lots of scars

1) Chemical Exfoliation: look for ingredients like glycolic or lactic acid to help speed up cell turnover and bring new skin to surface faster. I like Herbivore Botanicals Blue Tansy Mask once or twice/week. 2) Vitamin C: an antioxidant that is known for brightening and evening skin tone/discolouration. I use Drunk Elephant C-Firma serum every other day. 3) SPF: protecting your skin from UV rays prevents existing scars from getting darker and helps prevent new scars from forming. Use it everyday (even when it's cloudy & during winter) I like Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer dry touch SPF 50 (it's not greasy & doesn't leave a white cast like most sunscreens).

Re: Treatment for lots of scars

I've had good luck with pure shea butter for improving scars. 

@RinRiker

RinRiker wrote:

I am trying to find a good face wash/serum/etc, that can help with healing acne scaring but all my research has drawn up a giant blank!  It doesn't help that I have allergies/dislikes with really common ingredients; juniper, cypress, tea tree, eucalyptus, any mint, and lavender.  It also doesn't help that I've very wary brands that have natural/organic labels since I find most of them very untrustworthy and dishonest about their products.

Are you trying to use natural products or avoid natural products?

If your scars are hyperpigmentation, your best bet is:

- acid exfoliation.  Start with doing 2 nights a week after cleansing.  FAB Radiance pads or Dr. Dennis Gross Regular strength pads.

- Vit C serums.  Drunk Elephant, Hylamide, and the Ordinary make some popular products.  Use it under a moistursier during the day.

- Retinol.  If you are over 30, this would be a anice addition. Dr Gross makes good retinol serums.  Jordan Samuel ash a lovely Retinoil.

- Keep your skin hydrated well.  Don't use "acne" products as they are typically harsh.  

- Use gentle cleansers that are not "foaming".  

- Sunscreen as appropriate.

If the scars are ice pick or texture, I suggest seeing a dermatologist.  They will recommend in office procedures that could help. 

I came here to say all the things greenchili just said. Their advice is on point and I concur with it. 

OP, for your pitted and icepick scars, there is nothing over the counter that can fix it, only a dermatologist can treat those types of scars. 

If you're dealing with PIH (brown scars from acne or sun) or PIE (red marks), using products with the ingredients greenchili listed is best to fade them, plus sunscreen everyday.

It's not that I want to avoid natural products, I want products that are proven to be effective and not just choose brands that jump onto the hype and don't do any research on what it means to be "natural".  I want brands that are honest no matter where their ingredients come from (i.e. lab or no).

I have pitted scaring and have had prescriptions for my acne but it didn't work and I really don't like going to the Dr. unless as a last resort.

Thank you for your suggestions and sorry for any confusion. 

I'm a nurse and have dealt with acne on a personal level and in practice. 

I think the big thing is finding a product that won't dry your skin out (which can interfere with healing), but also won't make your acne worse. 

I'd stick with something like Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.  It's recommended by my own dermatologist and I've seen it recommended by the doctor I work with (pediatrician, has many patients with acne).  You'll have a clean face that still has some moisture.  http://www.clearawayacne.com/reviews/acne-cleansers-face-washes

Also, try something like Neutragena Light Treatment to spot treat your breakout.  It's an LED light that has been proven to help!

Good luck!  🙂  Martha

MarthaMyDear2 wrote:

I'm a nurse and have dealt with acne on a personal level and in practice. 

I think the big thing is finding a product that won't dry your skin out (which can interfere with healing), but also won't make your acne worse. 

I'd stick with something like Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.  It's recommended by my own dermatologist and I've seen it recommended by the doctor I work with (pediatrician, has many patients with acne).  You'll have a clean face that still has some moisture.  http://www.clearawayacne.com/reviews/acne-cleansers-face-washes

Also, try something like Neutragena Light Treatment to spot treat your breakout.  It's an LED light that has been proven to help!

Good luck!  🙂  Martha

http://www.livestrong.com/article/221772-dangers-with-cetaphil-moisturizing-cream/

http://beautybets.com/2012/01/31/why-cetaphil-is-the-devil/

I used to be a cetaphil user too until I read more into it 

What kind of acne scarring are you dealing with? Is it pitted or indented, or red/purple marks? 

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing