Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

Thoughts on Talc in Powder?

I have been on the hunt for a good setting powder (preferably one that mattifies) but I have noticed most of them have Talc as the first ingredient. I'm on the fence about whether Talc powders are good to use. I have read articles that find it controversial because it may irritate the skin or contain asbestos. Is Talc an ingredient that you try to avoid? And what your favorite setting powders?

Re: Thoughts on Talc in Powder?

I always try to steer clear of talc. I'm reading on the FDA right now, and it seems it's just better safe than sorry. I mean, theres so much "controversy" but, what if talc is as bad as some people say? Then your skin isn't going to thank you. 

RE: Thoughts on Talc in Powder?

First up, it's important to realize that the FDA requires companies to list talc as the first ingredient if there is any amount present. So, for instance, in the Laura Mercier powder there is only a small amount present. The talc helps to mattify which is needed because the powder is sooo light weight and finely milled that without the talc it would basically blow away. Another example is mac shadows which only contain the tiniest amount of talc but it has to be listed as the first ingredient. Also, talc is not likely to cause a problem on the face. In most powders talc is not going to be a problem. If you try a setting powder that is fragrance free and it irritates then it could be something else or it could contain a large amount of talc (this is often true in cheaper products since talc is such a cheap ingredient that some affordable brands add a lot of as filler). I would say give the Laura Powder a try. It's bomb.com and is very unlikely to irritate. And, if for whatever reason you decide it's not for you, just return it. Gotta love Sephora's return policy.

Re: RE: Thoughts on Talc in Powder?

I majored in public health and interned with the CDC. First of all talc is not regulated. Companies were supposed to submit documentation on where they retrieved their talc and only 4 responded back. There was last year about cosmetics at claire containing abestos. Also if someone is paying $69 for makeup palette they should have better ingredients. Mica is an alternative to talc that is more natural. If you read on talc it's very easy to get cross contaminated.  

RE: Thoughts on Talc in Powder?

I feel like it comes down to what makes you comfortable. I avoid talc for setting powders personally because I feel they leave a chalky cast over my face and they stick to dry patches. But I don't avoid it 100% in other products (ex: eyeshadows, dry shampoo) I know it's not sold at Sephora but, the Honest beauty setting powder has been amazing. Someone mentioned the Ilia powder and that's fantastic too 🙂

I was using the Laura Mercier setting powder and it did a good job, but I found that it has 3 kinds of parabens and also talc. I looked around and discovered a good alternative setting powder without talc or parabens called ILIA Soft Focus Finishing Powder

I wanna know... is Talc really bad in makeup?? I believe...

I wanna know... is Talc really bad in makeup?? I believe it is so with like baby powders but I use the beauty balm by dr. jart and it has talc.... 🤔🤔 the lady at Sephora says its topical so no harm. I googled if course and found there are different types... one with asbestos and one with out. The one with asbestos in it when inhaled is considered bad... but is not used in modern cunsumer products..... hmmmm

I avoid talc whenever possible. If I use powder near my e...

I avoid talc whenever possible. If I use powder near my eyes they water so much my makeup runs. Cover FX powder is talc free and never bothers me

I really like to Kat Von D Lock-It loose setting powder, talc has never really irritated my skin and I'm not entirely sure if it has it in it. it really depends on how sensitive your skin is but if you make sure to take off your makeup after the day is over then you should be fine. They sell it in a mini size (.19 oz) and a regular size (.67 oz). Its a great brand and not too expensive compared to some of the other ones i have looked at. 

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing