Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I don't think we have one of these yet... But, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now, but as it usually is... Life got and gets in the way. But, better late than never, huh?

I've been enjoying many natural skincare products for the last 15 years or so, on and off ( mainly facial oils and balms, but masks, treatments, and body oils and balms, as well. ) I even used to make my own for years ( years ago ) as good natural skincare products were not a very easy thing to obtain. You'd have to try and hunt down quality ingredients and make stuff yourself most of the time. And, that was quite a task! It makes me happy to see that there is so many wonderful products widely and easily available lately. It makes things so much easier! 🙂

Natural skincare performs better for me personally. I love and enjoy using it. My skin adores it. I love the idea of it and behind it. So, I wanted to make a place for us natural skincare lovers to talk about anything natural skincare as I see there are many others out there that are interested, or already in love with it, as well. So why not have our own little place on here? 🙂 So we can share our experiences ( good and/or bad ), loves, favorite products, favorite brands and their news/new launches, discus things, share our daily routines, talk DIYs if anyone is into that, why not? Anything really.

By "natural" skincare here I'm talking about skincare made mostly or completely of ingredients available in nature, like plant-derived ingredients, minerals... You know, the whole nine. 😉

Anyway - feel free to join in! You don't have to be a natural skincare lover exclusively. Everybody's welcome!

A word of caution... For those who are new to natural skincare, proceed with caution. Inform and educate yourself really well on everything you are interested in trying and putting on your skin. Natural does not mean it won't hurt you! And, it certainly doesn't mean it's safe. Some natural ingredients can be irritating for some people. Go with what's good for you, don't force anything on your skin just because someone said it is good. Do patch tests. Be smart. People prone to allergies should pay careful attention to what they use on their skin.

P.S. I am not completely and 100% natural, nor I imagine I ever will be as I do love me some other stuff, as well. But mostly, yes.

upload_7684854939366336630.jpg

Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

@pixiedust2  I just got myself some neem oil too.. OH MAN IT STINKS! I had read about a weird trick for it and wanted to try and I did a few days but after that ugh... I just couldn't stand the smell anymore... I'll have to revisit. 😄

Oh, bummer indeed about the Tea Tree, @pixiedust2 . That is most effective for me personally. And, tamanu is next ( with even more benefits ). Tamanu oil is so great at taking care of hyperpigmentation left by acne, or any... erm... mishap... I cause by getting into and butchering the crap outta things. 😄  ( It has great skin regenerating properties! It accelerates wound healing and the growth of healthy skin. ) And, it is very dry skin friendly, which I appreciate greatly. 🙂

But, at least you've found other things that work for you!

Ugh, neem is another scent I don't care for... But, it is very benefital to my skin, so yeah, I can tolerate it no problem. But, I've never tried it on its own. I use some body lotions, body washes, and other stuff with neem in them. And, that crap stinks to high heaven! But, it is very helpful with dry skin, rashes of different sorts, and such. So what if I stink like a skunk, right?! 😄

What neem oil do you use?

@lyravega  how does the Tamanu oil smell???

@veronika23 Honestly, I have nothing to compare it to. It smells kind of nutty, and woody, but with some weird, deep, dark ( moldy? 😄 ) twist. Can't explain it. It doesn't stink straight out like neem does. But, I don't like the scent at all. I can tolerate it, though, as my skin adores the tamanu oil.

@veronica23 In addition to what @lyravega said, I would also call it a sweet smell - to my nose, a little sickly sweet, like....decaying grass?

Thanks @Magycmyste 🙂

Yes! Moldy, decaying nature... Haha, maybe we'll manage to describe the scent after all, @Magycmyste ! 😄

But, it is not sweet to me. It's just... heavy.

Thanks @lyravega! Does it dissipate fast??

@veronika23 Nope. But, maybe it wouldn't bother you. Some people actually like it.

Thanks! I might have to find a small bottle of it @lyravega 🙂

Just make sure it's cold pressed and unrefined, @veronika23 .

Oh, neem oil! I didn't think of trying that on my zits! There's a couple of drops in my facial mist, though. Next time, I'll have to write down my recipe...

Neem is another one I don't mind the smell of it too much (it's an astringent green herbal to me), as long as it's not in a high concentration. I have weird memories associated with it, though, like my mom telling me that's how she got me to stop sucking my thumb when I was a baby. Apparently, I did not like the taste. 😄

I'm dealing with one pimple right now.... I'm freaking out like this is a real problem so bear with me. I've been using Uma Clarifying oil which has tea tree oil and Mahalo Balm. They have helped in my lone pimple not getting huge. Seems to work! 

I have a sample of one of those, but not sure which one. Haven't paid much attention to it ( I am just tossing all samples into my sample box without properly looking at them as I am trying not to try anything new right now. Or, at least that is the plan. ). I hope it's clarifying! But, with my luck lately, probably not...

Glad to hear what you're doing is working for you, @mrsbaine !

@mrsbaine

So glad!  I am an advocate of the Uma oils.  The Clarifying one is definitely a good one.

I am hormonal at the moment - going to do my PM care and will be using the clarifying oil as well.

At the moment, 100% Pure's Purity Spot Treatment. USing this, I actually do see a difference and my zits seem to go away sooner.

I also have Indie Lee's Blemish treatment, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

I will have to try the tea tree oil and tamanu diluted in carrier oils (both of these are present in my DIY mist). What proportion do you use of the oils to the carrier?

@Magycmyste  I mix approximately one part tea tree essential oil and one part carrier oil ( of your choice, something that works best for your skin ). You can make it stronger, or less strong, depending on your skin. A little bit of testing and playing around will be required.

I don't dilute tamanu oil ( cold pressed and unrefined ) as I have dry skin that likes it the way it is. And, tamanu oil is a carrier oil. But, if you have oily skin, definitely dilute it with a lighter carrier oil ( it won't lose any of its benefits or potency ) as tamanu is very thick and rich oil best for dry skin in general. And, do the patch test first. I have one bottle of it straight, and one with some tea tree eo added to it.

I adore tamanu oil as it is one of rare oils that is dry acne prone skin friendly. It really has fantastic benefits, and works amazingly for my skin!

Thank you!! 🙂

I suspect I won't need much tamanu oil as I have...oilier skin (this still confuses me, as I think I also usually benefit from products for dry skin). Also, the scent of tamanu is a little strong for me (I smell it more than any of the other oils in my mist, but I definitely didn't have much in there). 

Oh, tamanu scent! Ugh... I hate it! 😄 It is very strong, and quite unpleasant to me. But, I deal with it as my skin loves what the oil does for it, so...

Definitely add just a little bit of tamanu to a carrier oil of your choice then ( grapeseed or jojoba might be nice for you ). You can mix and match carrier oils, as well, to add more benefits. You can also add some tea tree eo to further dilute it, and have even more added benefits.

Make sure to use high quality oils and essential oils from reputable sources! Not all oils are created equal!

I hope you find a combo and ratio that works for you, @Magycmyste !

For littles, I use Odacite BL+C.

For larger ones, I use Uma Clarifying.

For during the day I use Osmia acne spot treatment since it's a tiny roller and I can pop it in my purse. 😊

Overall my approach is hydrating. I find it works much better than the sulphur treatments I used to use.

I agree with hydrating approach so much. That is what's always worked the best for me, too! Thank you, grandma, for teaching me that very early on! 🙂

Odacite BL+C breaks me out. What an irony...

931 Replies
testing