Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I don't think we have one of these yet... But, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now, but as it usually is... Life got and gets in the way. But, better late than never, huh?

I've been enjoying many natural skincare products for the last 15 years or so, on and off ( mainly facial oils and balms, but masks, treatments, and body oils and balms, as well. ) I even used to make my own for years ( years ago ) as good natural skincare products were not a very easy thing to obtain. You'd have to try and hunt down quality ingredients and make stuff yourself most of the time. And, that was quite a task! It makes me happy to see that there is so many wonderful products widely and easily available lately. It makes things so much easier! 🙂

Natural skincare performs better for me personally. I love and enjoy using it. My skin adores it. I love the idea of it and behind it. So, I wanted to make a place for us natural skincare lovers to talk about anything natural skincare as I see there are many others out there that are interested, or already in love with it, as well. So why not have our own little place on here? 🙂 So we can share our experiences ( good and/or bad ), loves, favorite products, favorite brands and their news/new launches, discus things, share our daily routines, talk DIYs if anyone is into that, why not? Anything really.

By "natural" skincare here I'm talking about skincare made mostly or completely of ingredients available in nature, like plant-derived ingredients, minerals... You know, the whole nine. 😉

Anyway - feel free to join in! You don't have to be a natural skincare lover exclusively. Everybody's welcome!

A word of caution... For those who are new to natural skincare, proceed with caution. Inform and educate yourself really well on everything you are interested in trying and putting on your skin. Natural does not mean it won't hurt you! And, it certainly doesn't mean it's safe. Some natural ingredients can be irritating for some people. Go with what's good for you, don't force anything on your skin just because someone said it is good. Do patch tests. Be smart. People prone to allergies should pay careful attention to what they use on their skin.

P.S. I am not completely and 100% natural, nor I imagine I ever will be as I do love me some other stuff, as well. But mostly, yes.

upload_7684854939366336630.jpg

Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

@starsandbucks 

Thanks for letting me know! May I ask if you found it better for your skin or hair and what benefits you experienced?

@pocketvenus I've been using oils on my skin since around 2008 and I usually switch it up every year it two. So to be perfectly honest I haven't seen a vast difference between Marula and Camellia, for example. Both have left my skin really soft. I do like how easily and quickly Marula sinks in. It makes it easier and quicker to layer other products. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you than that. I really have liked almost all the oils I've tried. 

@starsandbucks 

Thanks for responding and it's helpful to know if someone hasn't experienced a huge difference between oils ❤️

@pocketvenus I've tried the Rosehip and wasn't a fan - it was too thick and heavy for my skin. I had purchased the Squalane at the same time but have not yet tried it.

You may find more feedback in the Deciem thread:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Brand-Loyal/THE-DECIEM-THREAD/m-p/2729996#M13576

@Mochapj 

Thanks for the link! Would love to hear what you think of the Squalane if you try it. Was thinking of getting it as I've read it's a more stable oil, less vulnerable to oxidization.

@pocketvenus No problem! I'll tag you back once I've tried the Ordinary one.

I've used the PTR Squalane for years and it is very good. I like squalane because it is very lightweight, with almost a dry oil feel to it.

@Mochapj 

I would surely appreciate it! Thank you 🙂

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the brand 100% Pure...

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the brand 100% Pure yet, since I haven't had the chance to read all 700 replies yet (but trust me I will, I want to know all the different natural brands!) but I am totally obsessed with this brand. I love their blood orange cleanser and red wine eye cream! My skin has completely transformed after switching from highly chemically packed products to natural skin care and makeup! I'm so thrilled to see a whole thread dedicated to it!

Re: I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the brand 100% Pure...

I love this brand. I do like some of their products better than others (unfortunately, a couple of my favorites were recently discontinued), but as long as they keep making the coffee bean eye cream, I will probably buy it. I'm also loving the Lavender Seafoam cleanser, and I'm looking forward to trying some of the new stuff they're putting out lately. But I need to finish some more of what I have first.

Boxing Day discount at Alyaka.

Don’t forget cash back is 10.1% at Top cashback. Let me know if you want a referral. 

I checked the email late but the codes are still working (just placed ,y order a few minutes ago)

CE2868CE-E612-4428-A429-05F0FE88A9E4.jpeg

RE: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

life changing products highly recommend. Not only are they made by a R.D. but it’s medical grade all natural non toxic no chemicals even the packaging is free of toxins and chemicals! Takes all natural to a REAL and new level

I had a chance to run through the full Mahalo Winter Grace routine last night, so I thought I'd share some thoughts on the routine, as well as my feedback on how it compares to the old Love+ Valentines routine.

1) Circadian Balance - this was a new item that I believe they are launching next year. You're meant to apply it to pulse points and palms and use the scent to calm and soothe your mind.  Personally, this wasn't my cup of tea - it's really heavy on sandalwood, palo santo and patchouli, so it's very musky/earthy which I don't find particularly relaxing or soothing.

2) Facial Steam - A new addition to the routine, when Mahalo launched the Bean into the permanent line earlier this year they offered a GWP of 'Beauty Blooms' and it seems to be the same steam blend. The process of steaming was fine and the Turkish towel  included with the set was a lovely touch. I'd recommend preforming your steam in an actual bowl (not the sink) as the floral pieces are quite large and I imagine they'd clog a drain.

3) Masking - Mahalo recommends using either The Bean or Petal for this step, but the box contains neither. I chose The Bean because it's what I like and had on hand. I've written a fair bit about my love for this mask in the past so I won't do so here, but it's a welcome step in this routine.

4) Toner - There have been a few tweaks to this step since the Love+ box. Firstly, it's no longer a mist, but instead is meant as a swipe on toner.  Secondly, although the ingredients are the same as the Love+ Coffee toner, this was markedly less coffee scented and more prominent in white florals.  Perhaps the application method aromatizes different compounds but overall I didn't find an appreciable change in efficacy.

5) Serum - the serum looks, smells, behaves and has the same ingredients list as the Love+ Roses serum.  It's not too thick, massages in well and quickly absorbs. My only note on differences would be that the packaging this time was a bit more cumbersome and took 40 pumps (I counted) until I could get any product out.  The rose scent also seemed more concentrated, almost like this version might be the Love+ Roses serum booster formula instead.

6) Beauty Balm - this was my most cherished piece of the Love+ routine - the Cocoa dessert balm was such a skin and sensory treat.  I didn't detect any changes in this step and am happy to have another pot at my disposal.  The balm is smooth, rich and luscious and works as a beautiful barrier for sealing the rest of the steps in.

7) Jade Gua Sha - another new step; I have no prior experience using a gua sha but it seemed to incorporate well into the routine.  When I previously used the beauty balm there were times I felt like it wasn't completely absorbing in, no matter how much I massaged. With the gua sha massage after the beauty balm application, my skin felt comfortable, mattified and plumped and there was no balm residue.

Overall, I still enjoy the core components and will continue to use and purchase them for as long as they're available.  As with previous usage, my skin the next day was glowing, soft and plumped.  

I don't think I would bother repurchasing Circadian Balance or Beauty Steam and had they not included the Turkish towel, I never would've bought that either.  The box seems like an indulgent spa set that I bet would make a lovely gift.  

RE: Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I use two Mahalo skincare products and my skin seems to really like it. I do use other brands, too, and cycle through different products depending on my skin and what I need. So, with Mahalo I use Vitality Elixir Serum and Rare Indigo Balm. I have acne-prone, adult/hormonal acne, and very sensitive skin.

Thank you @Mochapj I really enjoy reading your reviews. They are always on point and helpful. Beauty balm sounds great, do you think it will be available as a part of their permanent line to purchase ?

@fatimamummy I certainly hope so. I’ve reached out to Mahalo at least a half dozen times since February asking them to add it to the permanent line.

i think it’s a good sign that they are including it again in this new release

@Mochapj Here is the hoping.

Odacite is finally offering their private blends in a smaller sized 'kit' so people can try all 4 of the seasonal blends

Each bottle is 5ml (the size of their regular serum concentrate line) and the set is $175.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 9.25.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 9.26.54 AM.png

I wanted to thank everyone on this thread - you're all superstars. Since this thread has started, my facial care routine has been transformed, and I have you all to thank for it.

I haven't had much time of late, so my masks are kind of sitting in the cabinet.

But my daily routine now consists on Mahalo, Odacite, Vintner's Daughter (I finally splurged and bought a bottle to get the last Cult Beauty goody bag), and Sunday Riley. (I've s

I'm using Mahalo's Rare Indigo and Beauty Balm as the last steps of my nightly routine, and it makes my face feel so good! Not too oily and not too dry, and they smell amazing! I wasn't as fond of Unveil at first - it still doesn't seem to work as well for me as a makeup remover, which is what I was thinking of it as, but I do love it as a simple facial oil cleanser, sometimes in the morning, and sometimes at night. This line of products is what I turn to when I want to RELAX with my facial care... I'm really looking forward to trying the Winter Grace box.

I'm still figuring out what's working and what isn't for me from Odacite. I'm a fan of Bl +Ca (this one has the most visible results for me as a spot treatment for zits), Clogged Pores and Cell Energy. I've been using A Spring in Tokyo during the day, and Summer in Hossegor at night - I can't quite tell if they're really doing anything for me right now, so I may not repurchase these. I do, however, want to get a full size of the Synergie Mask. I've only tried it once, but it felt great on my skin!

Vintner's Daughter has taught me the meaning of the word "glow." I absolutely love this. Don't know how often I'll be able to afford to repurchase this, but I'll try to keep it on hand when I can.

Sunday Riley was a surprise for me - I'd gotten a couple of samples here and there as gifts with purchases - specifically the Tidal Brightening Enzyme cream and Good Genes. The Good Genes lactic acid treatment is what convinced me to try this, and you guys, my acne scars (and I think, even some of my tweezer scars) are starting to fade!!! They're not gone, by any means (and it doesn't help that I keep getting short bursts of stress, and then keep breaking out - so far, my best strategy for dealing with these are still Odacite's Bl+Ca, and 100% Pure's Purity Spot Treatment), but I'm positive they're a bit lighter than before (Either that, or my vision is going, and starting to blur my skin the way certain makeup is supposed to :D). I've also started using the Luna oil at night, and the Ceramic Slip Cleanser, but I don't know how I feel about these two products yet. I like the smell of the Luna oil, but as pretty as I think it is, I'm not quite convinced about having the dyes on my face. And again, I'm just not entirely sure what it's doing for me skin.

I've still got a few other things in the mix, but these are my primaries at the moment.

TL;DR: Thank you for introducing me to this world. This thread is a game-changer.

Aw, thank you, @Magycmyste ! I am so glad you've discovered ( and loving! ) so many amazing products thanks to all the wonderful people contributing here. BTers in this thread are truly the best! "Superstars" is exactly right! 🙂

This is such a sweet message! I feel the same. This thread is full of helpful info and awesome BTers. Learning more about skincare is a slippery slope because I want to try everything (my wallet cries)! But I guess my skin will thank me in the long run LOL. 

I have similar feelings about Odacite and Sunday Riley. Odacite Bl + Ca seems to be the most effective for me too but not sure about the other serums. They're hydrating but I don't really see results, especially given the cost. I have SR UFO oil in the rotation and it might replace Bl + Ca for me. It's certainly cheaper per ounce/ml. I've used Ceramic Slip , Luna, Tidal, Good Genes and have a deluxe size of Blue Moon. Good Genes is definitely a standout product. The rest I'm meh about...they're okay but I don't know if it's worth the cost for me. I find Luna just doesn't absorb into my skin. 

RE: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

For all you Caroline Hirons lovers, her curated Cult beauty box that launched yesterday is still available. It includes a Blue Cocoon, Leahlani Champagne Serum, DCL Penta Pads, Oskia Renaissance Mask, NIOD rye concentrate and a cleanser from Omoroviciza (sp). 46% savings.
testing