Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I don't think we have one of these yet... But, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now, but as it usually is... Life got and gets in the way. But, better late than never, huh?

I've been enjoying many natural skincare products for the last 15 years or so, on and off ( mainly facial oils and balms, but masks, treatments, and body oils and balms, as well. ) I even used to make my own for years ( years ago ) as good natural skincare products were not a very easy thing to obtain. You'd have to try and hunt down quality ingredients and make stuff yourself most of the time. And, that was quite a task! It makes me happy to see that there is so many wonderful products widely and easily available lately. It makes things so much easier! ๐Ÿ™‚

Natural skincare performs better for me personally. I love and enjoy using it. My skin adores it. I love the idea of it and behind it. So, I wanted to make a place for us natural skincare lovers to talk about anything natural skincare as I see there are many others out there that are interested, or already in love with it, as well. So why not have our own little place on here? ๐Ÿ™‚ So we can share our experiences ( good and/or bad ), loves, favorite products, favorite brands and their news/new launches, discus things, share our daily routines, talk DIYs if anyone is into that, why not? Anything really.

By "natural" skincare here I'm talking about skincare made mostly or completely of ingredients available in nature, like plant-derived ingredients, minerals... You know, the whole nine. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway - feel free to join in! You don't have to be a natural skincare lover exclusively. Everybody's welcome!

A word of caution... For those who are new to natural skincare, proceed with caution. Inform and educate yourself really well on everything you are interested in trying and putting on your skin. Natural does not mean it won't hurt you! And, it certainly doesn't mean it's safe. Some natural ingredients can be irritating for some people. Go with what's good for you, don't force anything on your skin just because someone said it is good. Do patch tests. Be smart. People prone to allergies should pay careful attention to what they use on their skin.

P.S. I am not completely and 100% natural, nor I imagine I ever will be as I do love me some other stuff, as well. But mostly, yes.

upload_7684854939366336630.jpg

Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

@Mochapj  omg that is so sweet of you! You sure you don't mind? So I'm guessing you really love that balm if you are planning to get more.  Do you like it more than the rare indigo one? Thanks so much!

@veronika23 not at all! I'll be ordering some anyway, so I don't mind adding an extra one for you.  I think they said the code would be coming towards the end of the year, so I'll ping you when I'm ready to order and we can work something out.

I'd say of the 15+ balms I've tried in the past few years, it is my fave for winter/dry skin. I also really really really like the Josh Rosebrook Vital Balm Cream and have used and repurchased that too, but I find VBC is better suited to my spring/summer needs.

The Mahalo Love+/Winter Grace 'dessert balm' is a bit richer but still soaks in well. I tried the pot in the Winter Grace set and it does seem to be the same balm in scent/texture/appearance as the Love+ one and does list the same key ingredients. The Love+ version was my favourite part of that Valentines set and I beg Mahalo on social media to permanently release it on a regular basis ๐Ÿ™‚  

I'd say it's a bit richer than Rare Indigo and I do like RI, but I find RI more of a thinner, irritation-soothing balm and the Love+/Winter Grace one more of a thicker, moisturizing one. I know it's not super important, but I like the scent of the Love+ one just a tiny bit more, too (it's very cocoa/vanilla/coffee scented)

@Mochapj  thanks soo soo much!!!

Oh nice! Thanks! I like the VBC too and picked one up during the Detox sale. I'm glad to hear it's richer and that scent is definitely up my alley! And scent is pretty important to me! ๐Ÿ™‚  I also contacted them to get them to release that balm on it's own but nothing.  Maybe if enough people ask for it they'll release it. Thanks again so much!  This balm just sounds so much like something I would love and I desperately want to try it ๐Ÿ˜„

@veronika23 yeah, I'm having it shipped direct to me. I believe free international shipping is for purchases over $150.  

They don't charge duties at time of checkout.  When I ordered the Love+ I wasn't not hit with any charges, but I ordered some of their seasonal summer products a few months back and I did get hit with duties then.  

A few of my friends speak pretty highly of gua sha - I already do facial massage every night, so I think it will just end up as a different tool to switch that up but I'll be sure to post my thoughts about it ๐Ÿ™‚

@Mochapj. oh oh ok cool. Thanks! Good to know.  I contacted the company earlier today and got an email back saying it won't be sold individually unless you bought the set and the balm is the same as the love+ balm.

Oh cool. I don't do anything like that. What is it supposed to help with exactly?

@veronika23 Facial massage in general is supposed to improve circulation and is said to stimulate collagen production.

The gua sha massage involves softly scraping the tool over the planes of the face which will also increase blood flow but is said to help with flushing toxins and releasing tension, too.

Oh interesting. Thanks @Mochapj ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you guys know if Alyaka usually does a % off around holidays?

I don't recall @fatimamummy. Maybe. Sometimes a few UK stores do the Black Friday deals too.

Friends and Family sale at Credo Beauty:

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 11.18.55 AM.png

Anonymous Insider

Thank you @Mochapj!

Used up and repurchased JR's Vital Balm Cream. That's when you know it's love ๐Ÿ˜

@Llgc Yep! I love that one, too!

RE: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

Thank you for this thread! It should be a main topic (hello Sephora? Are you listening?) I never used to particularly care about what ingredients were in my beauty products...until my favorite makeup line suddenly gave me contact dermatitis. I woke up one morning with a swollen face and severe burns. I didnโ€™t realize it was my makeup until it happened the second time! My body had developed an extreme allergic reaction to something in the product. Now I try to avoid anything synthetic just to be on the safe side. You never know when your body is going say โ€˜nope!โ€™.

I completely agree with you....wake up Sephora! My skin had a similar reaction and then I started learning about ingredients. I have tried so many amazing brands that sometimes itโ€™s hard to choose favorites and I go based on price. I just wish more organic and natural products were available through Sephora. And, I find it SO hard to search for any of these products on their website. Iโ€™m shocked!!

I've been using the new reformulated Skin Owl Beauty Drops - Maqui Berry for a few weeks now (came in my Cult Beauty Box) and I quite like them. Baobab is the carrier oil and it has a nice viscosity that still absorbs well into my skin. I'm not sure on the smell, it's not unpleasant, but I can quite figure it out. My skin has been so-so for a few weeks, I think the odd weather/changing seasons/stress has led to some uncharacteristic breakouts, but the beauty drops seem to help in calming everything down. 

Colder, drier weather is finally coming to the northeast (let's see if it lasts) so I'll continue using these in my PM routine. Don't know yet if these will be replacing any of my favorite oils, but so far, so good! 

That's good to hear @MissPuff! I got them in my Beauty Heroes box but haven't tried them yet. The product description sounds really interesting though. 

@mrsbaine It's one of those descriptions that's almost TOO good. Clears up everything, improves tone and texture, and makes me glowy? Sign me up! I think they recommended 5-7 drops, which seemed a bit excessive, and it's not like I have a small face ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm curious what you think when you try them out!

FallBundle-LandingPage-US_c8916cca-4df5-423a-9fc3-921b3c295dd4

There's actually a few things in here that I've been wanting to try,even though I promised myself I was going on a skincare-buying break...

New Mahalo product exclusive to Neimans

Re: RE: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

Interesting; they are going to Neiman's? I hope their expansion has a better strategy than Uma Oils as theirs ended up being a train wreck. 

1 Reply
testing