Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I don't think we have one of these yet... But, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now, but as it usually is... Life got and gets in the way. But, better late than never, huh?

I've been enjoying many natural skincare products for the last 15 years or so, on and off ( mainly facial oils and balms, but masks, treatments, and body oils and balms, as well. ) I even used to make my own for years ( years ago ) as good natural skincare products were not a very easy thing to obtain. You'd have to try and hunt down quality ingredients and make stuff yourself most of the time. And, that was quite a task! It makes me happy to see that there is so many wonderful products widely and easily available lately. It makes things so much easier! 🙂

Natural skincare performs better for me personally. I love and enjoy using it. My skin adores it. I love the idea of it and behind it. So, I wanted to make a place for us natural skincare lovers to talk about anything natural skincare as I see there are many others out there that are interested, or already in love with it, as well. So why not have our own little place on here? 🙂 So we can share our experiences ( good and/or bad ), loves, favorite products, favorite brands and their news/new launches, discus things, share our daily routines, talk DIYs if anyone is into that, why not? Anything really.

By "natural" skincare here I'm talking about skincare made mostly or completely of ingredients available in nature, like plant-derived ingredients, minerals... You know, the whole nine. 😉

Anyway - feel free to join in! You don't have to be a natural skincare lover exclusively. Everybody's welcome!

A word of caution... For those who are new to natural skincare, proceed with caution. Inform and educate yourself really well on everything you are interested in trying and putting on your skin. Natural does not mean it won't hurt you! And, it certainly doesn't mean it's safe. Some natural ingredients can be irritating for some people. Go with what's good for you, don't force anything on your skin just because someone said it is good. Do patch tests. Be smart. People prone to allergies should pay careful attention to what they use on their skin.

P.S. I am not completely and 100% natural, nor I imagine I ever will be as I do love me some other stuff, as well. But mostly, yes.

upload_7684854939366336630.jpg

Anonymous Insider

Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I make all of my own skin care products and they have 100% changed my skin. Oil cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer. Bar soap, body wash, shampoo bars, mud masks, face scrubs... you get the picture.

But as far as makeup goes, i have no experience or expertise in producing it. I would love to go chemical free in makeup but I haven't had the opportunity to experiment enough with it yet and frankly there aren't that many options out there. My coverage routine for scars or full fledged breakouts is 1. Laura mercer oil free tinted moisturizer followed by 2. NARS radiant concealer for spot treatment. I tap it with my fingertip to blend into the tinted moisturizer base. Let set for a minute or 2 then finish with 3. Bare minerals matte foundation (powder, using the full coverage brush). If I'm still feeling 'exposed' I'll dust on some of 4. Laura Mercers finishing powder with a big pouffy light brush (I think I have the two faced 'mr. right'). Brushes do make a difference for coverage in my experience. And keeping them clean, well that goes without saying, so important for acne prone skin.

I will say since transitioning to truly all natural skin care regime I've only had 2-3 really bad breakouts in the last year, always hormonal and/or seasonal change.

Hope that's helpful!!! 

Beauty Heroes September is Skinowl

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.11.17 AM.png

I ran across an article that featured a teen with Asperger's Syndrome who started his own skin care company!  The products are not tested on animals, are vegan (at least some are,) and use fair trade ingredients, local ingredients when possible.  His company is called Expedition Soap Company.  I thought I'd mention this in case anyone wanted to try it.

Yay, I'm so glad I found this thread! I love natural products. I'm an esthetican (about to start my journey to becoming a holistic esthetician) and green beauty blogger. I fully switched over my routine to clean, natural products about a year ago, and my skin is better than it ever has been! I'm very strict when it comes to ingredients (I'm not a complete purist, but pretty close) and I prefer to only buy companies that work hard to be green and ethical in other aspects: recyclable packaging, manufactured in US/Canada, fair treatment of their workers, low environmental impact, ethically sourced ingredients, etc. And of course, always cruelty free. I'm really happy to see that Sephora is starting to add more truly green brands to their store. Up til very recently, their "natural" beauty section was almost completely green washed. 

So, I tried the new Green Ceremony Cleanser from Odacite that was the recent GWP from Detox Market, and wanted to share a few thoughts.

Green ceremony cleanserGreen ceremony cleanser

First, it smells entirely like matcha to me, so if you like that scent, I think this will be a very relaxing cleanser. Personally, I love green tea, but I don't tend towards matcha as much as it tends to be a touch sweeter than most green teas, both in scent and flavor. This had that touch of sweetness to it (like grass, not sugar). It wasn't unpleasant for me, but I wasn't crazy about it, either.

Secondly, OMG this thing foams up! This was something I enjoyed a lot, just because it's fun to watch the powder turn to foam. As it turns out, I think I could have used a bit less and been fine (I usually tend to use less than recommended amounts of things, because otherwise I always have some leftover, and it feels like I'm wasting product). I probably used about 2/3 to 3/4 of the mini scoop provided with the cleanser, and I might have been good with half (that might be cutting it a bit too close, though).

Finally, I thought this did a really good job of cleaning my face (I did not have makeup on to take off), and I liked it a lot. It went on smoothly, and it felt nice massaging my face with it. I know it's not made to be used as a mask, but I left it on a couple of minutes, and I could see someone really trying it out that way (again, especially if they like the scent of matcha). It felt very soapy when I took it off, and it required a few splashes of water for my face not to feel soapy, and my face felt soft and clean after it dried.

I may need to refine this review after trying it a few more times, but at least after the first try, this cleanser is definitely one I'd put on my list to buy once I've cleared out some of the ones I've got already, depending on the price. 

Odacite Labor Day sale

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 9.08.20 AM.png

Anonymous Insider

Hey I'm so glad to have found this natural skincare thread in here!

Just curious to know what's everyone natural skincare fave is from Sephora? I'm hoping to see mainstream stores like them would start to carry more natural alternatives.

Well thought I should introduce myself. 🙂 I blog on Lace n Ruffles about my journey switching to low toxin beauty/ personal care routine. I started making a switch 4 years ago due to nasty hormonal issues. Proud to say I've found performing alternatives that are low toxins for everything I use from head to toes - yipee! And I feel so much better with my health and general wellbeing. It opens the door for me to live a holistic live - practice yoga, eat clean organic food and be aware of environmental impact of our product choices.

Love, Juliet

RE: Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I second the Tata Harper comment, and would add Herbivore to the list as well! I've had so much luck with every product I've tried (8 of them to be exact). The oils are a bit pricey for a diy carrier and essential oil girl like me, but on the herbivore website they offer roller balls for much less, and discounted trio's. The Blue Tansy mask and Moon Fruit treatment are my two must haves from the brand!

MermaidJulisa wrote:

Hey I'm so glad to have found this natural skincare thread in here!

Just curious to know what's everyone natural skincare fave is from Sephora? I'm hoping to see mainstream stores like them would start to carry more natural alternatives.

Well thought I should introduce myself. 🙂 I blog on Lace n Ruffles about my journey switching to low toxin beauty/ personal care routine. I started making a switch 4 years ago due to nasty hormonal issues. Proud to say I've found performing alternatives that are low toxins for everything I use from head to toes - yipee! And I feel so much better with my health and general wellbeing. It opens the door for me to live a holistic live - practice yoga, eat clean organic food and be aware of environmental impact of our product choices.

Love, Juliet

Hi @Anonymous, I missed this when you posted. Good for you with your transition to a more natural lifestyle. It certainly can make a difference. From Sephora specifically, I enjoy brands like Tata Harper the most. I have the most luck with more than one of their products. I use the Resurfacing and Purifying Masks as well as the Oil cleanser. I love the Refreshing Cleanser, but Sephora doesn't carry it yet. Sephora has stepped up the number of natural companies they carry. I also like the Youth to the People cleanser. I got that initially in a Gift with Purchase and fell in love with it as a second cleanse. What about you? Which ones do you like? 

GWP alert: Detox Market (US and Canada) is offering free full size Odacite Oleosomes Creme and deluxe size of new Green Ceremony powder cleanser with $150 Odacite purchase with code ODACITE

What do people think about supplements? Hear of a brand called Beauty Chef? 

I'm trying the Beauty Chef Glow powder right now and have...

I'm trying the Beauty Chef Glow powder right now and have tried Cleanse Inner Beauty powder from the brand as well. Didn't notice a real difference. Best internal thing I've done for my skin is a green smoothie every morning.

Re: I'm trying the Beauty Chef Glow powder right now and have...

Hello!

We are so sorry to hear that you didn't achieve the results you were expecting with the Glow and Cleanse Inner Beauty Powders.  For best results, we recommend taking the daily recommended dose every day until you finish the tub.  In a recent independent group study, 50 consumers evaluated the benefits experienced while using GLOW Inner Beauty Powder on a daily basis.  After one month's use:

Skin felt more hydrated - 94%

Overall texture of skin was smoother - 90%

Noticeable improvement in skin tone - 76%

Noticeable increase in skin luminosity - 82%

Skin felt rejuvenated - 82%

Noticeable improvement in skin clarity - 84%

Noticeable improvement in gut health - 76%

Pre-existing skin conditions improved: Eczema, Rosacea, Congestion - 95% 

Thank you!

I've been wanting to try some of their stuff for awhile now, but I'm not ready to drop the money on it, though. I wish I could find samples or a trial size somewhere!

Hello!

Our best selling Inner Beauty Powder is now available in a trial size on Sephora.com!

Thank you!

Wondering the same thing! I've been stalking a few of the products for a couple of weeks now

I have been consistently using the Josh Rosebrook Vital Balm that came as a sidekick item in my Beauty Heroes sub box last month. I was always curious about this product; the idea of a lotion to Balm was intriguing. I've been enjoying this at night instead of Blue Coccon. It doesn't beat BC for me at all, but it's a lighter moisturizer and I see its place in my routine. Anyone else try and love this stuff? 

I got it when it first came out, and I like it! It's a little too rich for me in the summer though, so I'm waiting some dry winter weather to really give it a chance to impress me.

@mrsbaineI'm trying it right now. 🙂 So far I like it. I love the texture of the product and it seems to do well on it's own for me. I've also been trying the new mask as well and liking that too.  I'll see how I feel in a few days but so far so good. I have dry/sensitive skin for reference.

veronika23 wrote:

@mrsbaineI'm trying it right now. 🙂 So far I like it. I love the texture of the product and it seems to do well on it's own for me. I've also been trying the new mask as well and liking that too.  I'll see how I feel in a few days but so far so good. I have dry/sensitive skin for reference.

The Hydration mask? I'm not a huge fan on this one yet, but over the summer, I probably don't really need it. It caused a bit of texture. I wonder if this is something more useful to me over the winter. 

@mrsbaine I've written about my love of VBC pretty extensively in this thread and it popped up in my monthly faves a few months in a row 😊 suffice it to say I'm a huge fan. I've been using it nightly since May and I will finish my FS jar this month. I find I do prefer it to Blue Cocoon - particularly for summer because BC was always heavier than I wanted in the heat. I think for oily skin the texture is great but if you're normal or dry it's probably not going to be enough. I'm not sure if it's going to be enough for me through a Canadian winter but for spring-summer-fall I won't repurchase anything else. It's definite HG status for me.
2 Replies
testing