Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I don't think we have one of these yet... But, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now, but as it usually is... Life got and gets in the way. But, better late than never, huh?

I've been enjoying many natural skincare products for the last 15 years or so, on and off ( mainly facial oils and balms, but masks, treatments, and body oils and balms, as well. ) I even used to make my own for years ( years ago ) as good natural skincare products were not a very easy thing to obtain. You'd have to try and hunt down quality ingredients and make stuff yourself most of the time. And, that was quite a task! It makes me happy to see that there is so many wonderful products widely and easily available lately. It makes things so much easier! 🙂

Natural skincare performs better for me personally. I love and enjoy using it. My skin adores it. I love the idea of it and behind it. So, I wanted to make a place for us natural skincare lovers to talk about anything natural skincare as I see there are many others out there that are interested, or already in love with it, as well. So why not have our own little place on here? 🙂 So we can share our experiences ( good and/or bad ), loves, favorite products, favorite brands and their news/new launches, discus things, share our daily routines, talk DIYs if anyone is into that, why not? Anything really.

By "natural" skincare here I'm talking about skincare made mostly or completely of ingredients available in nature, like plant-derived ingredients, minerals... You know, the whole nine. 😉

Anyway - feel free to join in! You don't have to be a natural skincare lover exclusively. Everybody's welcome!

A word of caution... For those who are new to natural skincare, proceed with caution. Inform and educate yourself really well on everything you are interested in trying and putting on your skin. Natural does not mean it won't hurt you! And, it certainly doesn't mean it's safe. Some natural ingredients can be irritating for some people. Go with what's good for you, don't force anything on your skin just because someone said it is good. Do patch tests. Be smart. People prone to allergies should pay careful attention to what they use on their skin.

P.S. I am not completely and 100% natural, nor I imagine I ever will be as I do love me some other stuff, as well. But mostly, yes.

upload_7684854939366336630.jpg

Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

Hello, @eBerry ! Welcome! 🙂

I am testing Consonant HydrExtreme today. First impression... Wow this watery thing is hydrating! It's super light weight ( for whatever reason I did not expect it to be that light ), yet it gives immediate and serious boost of hydration. After my skin soaks it up ( which is seconds ), it feels like absolutely nothing on my skin. But my skin looks and feels so much better, healthier, smooth and hydrated.

I've tried to wear it solo as long as possible just for the science and the sake of testing it, to see if it'll react negatively in any way with my skin... But, I had to follow with an oil real soon as even though it is hydrating, it is not nearly enough on its own. Not for my skin anyway. The product is not intended to be used alone anyway as it is ultra light serum that should be followed with the rest of whatever you use. But, I've heard some people wear it on its own ( they all have oily skin, though. ).

No immediate negative reactions. Yay! Hopefully no negative reactions at all as I am really liking this product ( so far ). But, we'll see...

I tried the Josh Rosebrook Advanced Hydration Mask for the first time last night. When I initially purchased this I didn't realize it was a towel-off mask; from the previews he'd been posting I thought it was a face balm.

One of the key ingredients in the mask is senna, which also happens to be the main ingredient of Hydrextreme.  It's often referred to as botanical hyaluronic acid. Having used the Hydrextreme daily for the last 6 weeks or so, I was looking forward to seeing how they compared.

In the pot (which is a gorgeous opaque milky glass, btw) the balm/mask is a pale blue, waxy product. You dig some out with a spatula and warm it between your palms, then apoly to the skin. The texture on the face is pretty thick and viscous; it reminds me somewhat of the feel of Farmacy Sleep Tight Balm. After 15-25 minutes, you're instructed to towel off with a clean, dry cloth and continue with your serum and cream. 

I was quite surprised how pleasant my skin felt after wiping it off. With the heavier texture I'd worried it might leave me feeling a bit greasy. Instead my skin felt plumped and matte.  Applying serums afterward felt a bit counterintuitive since it still felt like the product left a slight barrier on the skin, but I did it anyway. My products took a bit longer than normal to massage in, but otherwise no problems.

this morning my skin still feels hydrated and plumped and slightly more velvety textured than usual.

first impression: 😍

Eta: realized I didn't speak to how it compares to Hydrextreme 🤦🏽‍♀️ I find Hydrextreme works quicker, but perhaps not as long as this.  As mentioned, when I woke up this morning I was still feeling moisturized and plump, but even after I did my morning cleanse/showered my skin was still feeling the effects of the mask. With Hydrextreme I feel a more immediate improvement but  require consistent use for best results.

Theoretically a bottle of Hydrextreme should last  about a year (they say it's 600 drops and I use 2/day). With weekly to twice weekly use I think the Advanced Moisture mask would last me 4-6 months. 

This hydrating mask sounds amazing and can be a good turn towards my goal of maximum hydration.

@Mochapj Did you buy it from Josh Rosebrook direct? I can't see it listed at Detox Market's website.

@fatimamummy I did buy it from him direct. He was running a launch gwp of a free hydrating accelerator with purchase so I could not resist 😂

I think I read it was coming to other retailers later this month.

That was an irresistible deal @Mochapj  I'll keep an eye out when he restocks or it launches else where.

Ohh, that sounds like something my skin would like! If only not for the "towel-off" detail... I haven't tried to do it in quite some time because every time I do it ends up in a disaster... But, every time I also hope my skin finally got over it. Le sigh... Guess not. I'm stuck with its bleepiness.

So happy you like it and it works for you so beautifully, @Mochapj !

@lyravega TBH I didn't realize when I purchased it that it was meant to towel off.

If I had, I probably would not have purchased it because I HATE toweling off things, either for rinsing or as a dry wipe.  Not due to sensitivity, purely for laziness, LOL.

I did notice in the reviews when I was writing mine that some other users mentioned wearing it overnight...

Haha, I totally get the "laziness" part, @Mochapj ! 😄 I like my skincare routine as simple as possible myself.

Wearing it over night... And then just washing it off...? Or?

From the sounds of it they were wearing it overnight and it had absorbed into the skin by the AM (although if I did that I'm envisioning it ending up all over my pillowcase by the time I wake up) 😄

I have just about everything by Drunk Elephant and also like Farmacy and Herbivore. 

My favorites are the DE day serum, the DE moisturizers (Lala and Hyrda B), Farmacy Green Clean, and Herbivore Coconut Milk bath (please carry this Sephora, the product is amazing!)

I also love Human + Kind for body oils and butter.

I only recently got into Farmacy, when I got a deluxe sample of Green Clean from Sephora - it is now my new favorite makeup remover. 😄

That herbivore coconut milk bath sounds amazing. I'd also like to try their Cocoa Rose body polish.

@SydBristow i am so in love with herbivore! i really like what i've tried from farmacy too except for the rise n' shine cream- it was very sticky! i am going to buy the eye dew when i use up my kiehl's eye cream for sure- it's amazing!

and i am SO excited to finally have a bathtub when i move next month- i have been dying to buy the coconut milk bath for months! ❤️

I really don't know how natural these items are actually, I think they are but guess I need to research! 

Natural, or at least more natural product for hair makes a huge difference too.

So true about natural hair products making a huge difference. At least for me they do. Ever since I switched to Rahua hair care, my hair is unbelievable! I can't stop touching it, looking at it in mirrors, and raving about Rahua to everyone who'd listen! 😄

@lyravega i love love love rahua!

It's the best thing that has ever happened to my hair, @unfungirl !

@lyravega do you like davines? between rahua and davines my hair has come back to life! i chopped my hair off last year to start fresh because it was so damaged, and it's SO healthy now after switching to natural products!

@lyravega  @unfungirl  I second Davines.  I really like their Love line (smells of floral, mostly honeysuckle,) to soften my hair, and the Minu products to smooth my curls.  The products are from Italy; how could they be bad? 🙂

@Ispend2much6   i use the love, oi and minu line! i have wavy hair, and minu is perfect for frizz!

It sure is.

12 Replies
testing