Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

How does everyone feel about Dimethicone being in the majority of beauty products?

I am someone with combination/oily skin and have struggled with acne for the last 10 years. I’ve recently wanted to make the switch to all natural skincare and foundation as I’ve researched the potential side effects with applying silicones to the face. Has anyone discovered any products they love without silicones? I would also love to hear opinions on both sides of the topic.

Re: How does everyone feel about Dimethicone being in the majority of beauty products?

I don't use any silicones in my skin care or hair care products anymore, except my eye shadow primer which I'm careful to wash off with a double cleanse at the end of the day. I hardly have breakouts anymore (which were previously a daily issue), less redness and brighter skin. Definitely worth the effort of avoiding them for me.

I LOVE dimethicone! I actually get super-excited whenever...

I LOVE dimethicone! I actually get super-excited whenever I see it in the ingredients. It creates a really smooth texture, is emollient, and is anti-inflammatory and a skin protectant.

I have dry, sensitive skin since I was a baby. I use a bo...

I have dry, sensitive skin since I was a baby. I use a body cream on my face, it contains dimethicone, and I if I had to only purchase one product for the rest of my life it would be that. it doesn't break me out and I'm going on something like a decade of using it. now that I'm using retinol (buffered baby dose lol) it's helped prevent any flakiness. but skincare is a really personal thing, and I can rarely get away with using other silicones. I also am allergic to some of the peptides and ceramides to the point I won't even bother with new products anymore. I break out and itch like crazy, and they're supposed the bee's knees, so go figure.

RE: How does everyone feel about Dimethicone being in the majority of beauty products?

Hey lady! I realized a few months back that dimethicone and other silicone products were causing me to have clogged pores and no matter what I was doing with cleansing and other skin care it seemed like I couldn't get rid of the blackheads. Fast forward to now after a lot of searching and trial and error (ps I'm also allergic to wheat shmehh) I finally found a good mix of products for my skin and lifestyle. Now that my skin is pretty clear I only use bare minerals foundation and other powders for my face. I still like to wear liquid foundations when I find ones that fit the requirements (no wheat, no silicones etc) but I just cleanse really well with CEO oil and then cleanse again with silicone face scrubby pad and Korres yogurt face wash. Korres brand is a dream, Sunday Riley also dream brand for nonsilicone, quality ingredients, and the Farmacy line works well for me too 😊 I hope you find what you're looking for 🙂

Re: How does everyone feel about Dimethicone being in the majority of beauty products?

It's fallacious to presume that the more natural products will be better, but I can understand it if you feel like silicone breaks you out. Personally, I do not like silicone because I feel like it sits on top of my skin and makes me feel unclean, if that makes sense?

I researched a lot about dimethicone for the same reason (acne). Unfortunately, I didn't find any good alternative moisturizing ingredient. It is either silicones or oil, and while oil was shown to trigger acne, there is no such evidence for dimethicone. In fact, it is often used in the acne treatment products, to remediate the drying and irritating effect of acne-treatment ingredients.

See here about the moisturizing ingredients.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4025519/

It really just depends on the person. While there isn't any scientific research showing that silicones cause acne generally, many people (myself included) know it does for our skin. I can slather any oil on my face multiple times a day and only used oil on my face for about a year (no cleanser, moisturizers, etc) and my skin looks great and was acne free, but the second a silicone touches my skin I get cystic breakouts. If people don't need to go silicone free then I totally get it, don't, it's a pain to have to put in so much effort, but people should know that silicones can cause acne sometimes

RE: How does everyone feel about Dimethicone being in the majority of beauty products?

So dimethicone also brings moisture to the skin.. it’s one of non clogging silicones and it can also be found in natural resources. Personally it’s in everything anti aging so I’m totally down for it and I’m naturally very dry and acne prone.

I'm trying to go silicone free too! Even though I'm no lo...

I'm trying to go silicone free too! Even though I'm no longer a teen, my acne is at all time worst. I wore a silicone based foundation (Kat Von D) all summer that was full coverage so it covered all my acne but it just created more. Lately I've been using Cover FX cover click stick because it has good coverage, but I have yet to find a good primer without silicones. The click stick lasts a long time but still not as long as I want it to with my oily skin. I'm thinking of trying Milk Makeup Blur Stick and Korres Pomegranate Primer. Fingers crossed!!

Re: I'm trying to go silicone free too! Even though I'm no lo...

Just so you know Korres makes HIGHLY fragranced products which I learned the hard way. That primer also has polymethylsilsesquioxane which is a silicone. Too Faced's Hangover RX, Becca's matte and first light primers, Cover FX's illuminating primer, Sephora's mattifying H2O gel, Laura Mercier's original foundation primer, and Lorac's I'm So Sensitive primer are all silicone free and might be other options for you to try

I breakout the second anything with any silicone hits my face and I know there are quite a few people discovering this is the root of their acne too. I'm so over the effort it takes to find silicone free products. I have been looking for years for a silicone free foundation that matches me and lasts more than 3 hours and I have yet to find one. At this point I try to stick to and support brands that are 100% silicone free but it seems like as soon as the brand gets big/gets bought they drop that designation (I'm looking at you, Bare Minerals). I'd definitely suggest trying out being 100% silicone free for a few weeks to see how your skin reacts. I swear by Drunk Elephant and it has completely transformed my skin. I like to supplement those products with ones from Deciem's The Ordinary line because they indicated on each product if it is silicone free or not and it is very affordable. Some skincare brands that are -cone free are Kopari, Kora Organics, REN, Drunk Elephant, and Yes To. Cosmetics are more difficult so you have to learn to read labels but Laura Mercier, Cover FX, Becca (primers only), Milk, RCMA, and RMS have the most options that are silicone free. If you think silicones might be contributing or causing your acne I really think there is a good chance it is

i tend towards natural lines for this reason. like it per...

i tend towards natural lines for this reason. like it performs great but isnt for everyone. def an overused and cheap ingredient

You gotta check out Milk Makeup! Vegan makeup line with skincare benefits and no silicone. The Blur liquid foundation is like a beautiful airbrushed finish on oily skin!

Do you use any primer with the foundation? I work long sh...

Do you use any primer with the foundation? I work long shifts and I really want to get the Milk foundation but I'm worried it won't last long

RE: Do you use any primer with the foundation? I work long sh...

I've used the blur stick only where I get shiny. It stays well

Re: RE: How does everyone feel about Dimethicone being in the majority of beauty products?

That's not totally true. Most of their sticks (like the bronzer), blur spray, concealer, etc do contain silicone. The only silicone free products are the ones they go out of their way to advertise as silicone free. So their blur stick and blur foundation are silicone free, but read the labels on the rest of the products

16 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 24 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
testing