Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|
Anonymous Insider

Frugal Natural Antiaging Products With Retinol?

The only reason I'm using L'oreal Revitalift and Garnier Ultra Lift is because they have retinol but I'm on the hunt for a more natural product with retinol; both of these products burn my skin when it's even minorly irritated and they're obviously full of chemicals; any suggestions for a frugal person?

There was also something besides retinol which is supposed to be the second best thing for the skin but obviously I'm new to all this so thanks for any help with any of this!

Re: Frugal Natural Antiaging Products With Retinol?

@Anonymous  Check out this list of best Retinol products from beautypedia.com.  I think their recommendations are usually spot on.

https://www.beautypedia.com/skin-care-reviews/best-skin-care-products/Skin-Care/Retinol-Products

You could try Deciem's Ordinary retinoid 2%.  It is cheap and not irritating (at least on my skin, which is sensitive, acne-prone).

Anonymous Insider

Thanks, greenchilli! Are there ingredients you'd recommend better than retinol?

When you say "better than retinol", how do you mean?  

Retinol is the most effective anti-ageing ingredient, that supplements other good skincare and health practices. It is most useful in helping collagen and skin cell turnover for folks 30s and over.  

If you are in your 20s, and mostly want to keep up good skincare, I would suggest hydration, periodic exfoliation, and Vit C products that all contribute to good skin.

Anonymous Insider

Yes, I meant more effective... But you answered; thank you!

@Anonymous

Natural does not necessarily mean safe or effective.  It is a misconception.  There are tons of "natural" products that are extremely irritating to the skin and do nothing.   Also, most natural products tend to be higher priced due to the costs of research to create an effective "natural" product, and the complex processing involved.  Especially when you are interested in retinol type products. 

I say all this so you can manage your expectations.  Natural, effective, inexpensive - pick two of the three. 

I will assume you are old enough to need/use retinol (otherwise this is a whole other discussion).

La Roche Posay Redermic line has some well reviewed retinol products.  It is cheaper than several other retinol products on the market, but is not natural.  

Sunday Riley Luna is a well reviewed Retin-oil (although it personally doesn't suit me).  It is natural, but expensive.

Finally, I would not suggest using retinol in your early 20s (or younger), or if you do not find retinol suitable for your skin, or if you are using other products that may not work well with it. 

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing