Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora

Dimethicone/cyclomethicone in serum

Hi, does anyone know if dimethicone prevents any skincare that follows to properly absorb?

i found out that Sunday Riley Good Genes has dimethicone and cyclomethicone as the 9th and 10th ingredients:( is this strong enough of a concentration that the Drunk Elephant Firma C Serum mixed with Drunk Elephant Hydra B Serum will not penetrate properly when applied after? Or is it far enough down that I can continue using this product in my regimen? I would like all of my products to be as effective as possible. Also, my SR Tidal Cream has a silicone as the 12th ingredient. Is my antioxidant Juno oil not going to absorb properly if I apply it after Tidal either?? All of my other products are silicone free! 

Thanks!

Re: Dimethicone/cyclomethicone in serum

@hannahshrontz  That's a really good question!  I also did not realize the Sunday Riley products contained silicones.

I did some quick research, as I'm interested in this information also, and I ran across a site called "beautifulwithbrains."  The author has an article called, "Do Silicones Prevent Other Ingredients from Sinking into the Skin?"

In this article, the author, Gio, quotes Paula from Paula's choice as stating the silicones work like a net or a tea bag; they are porous and allow other substances to seep through to the skin while helping the skin to retain moisture.

There is a lot of good information in that article- Sephora doesn't allow links or else I would post it here, but it's definitely worth reading as it will answer your questions.

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing