Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

Are parabens good?

I'm always very Informed about majority of the ingredients going onto my skin but one I can't wrap my head around is parabens. I have read different articles and blogs saying that they mimic the chemical oestrogen and can increase the risk of cancers in breasts. Though I read other blogs claiming they are safe so far and the FDA is doing a bunch of tests into them. I just don't know much about them to make the call whether I purchase beauty supplies with or without them.

RE: Are parabens good?

I'm allergic. Noticed it first around my eyes. I'd rub them so bad it would rip my contacts. Switching to paraben free has cleared up my skin so much as well. It made all the difference in the world for me. There are a few other irritating ingredients in certain makeup and skincare that effect me. Getting rid of parabens was the biggest game changer for me though. #weirdallergies #parabenfreeforlife

Re: Are parabens good?

It depends...

I had an allergic reaction to ginseng in an eye cream. Since then, I can use parabens anywhere other than my right eye and be fine. I get a terrible rash if I use parabens near that eye though. 

I did some reading, and apparently its not unusual to develop a paraben sensitivity on formerly injured skin. It's called the paraben paradox, and there is a good article about it on Medscape.

Well to start - Parabens are chemicals that have been used since the 1950s to prevent bacteria and act as a preservative in deodorants, lotions, lipsticks, shampoos, scrubs, and more. Sulfates are effective cleansing and foaming agents that can be found in toothpaste, shampoo, and body washes, among other products. Studies have shown that some parabens can mimic the activity of the hormone estrogen in the body’s cells, and while estrogenic activity is associated with certain forms of breast cancer, parabens have been found present in breast tumors. Sulfates are concerning because they were found to break down proteins, which can lead to a degenerative effect on the cell membranes. Sulfates were also found to leave residue in the heart, lungs, and brain. However, so far there is no scientific evidence to prove that parabens have any link to cancer, and The Cosmetic Ingredient Review recognizes sulfates as safe up to a maximum concentration of 50 percent if they are properly rinsed off the skin. If you’re weary about taking a chance using products that contain these chemicals, then don’t! There’s a wide range of beauty products that are paraben- and sulfate-free—even at the drugstore. They can cause a number of problems for your hair including drying, irritating your scalp, fading your color, and even hair loss. But - Sulfates are really good at getting rid of any build up in your hair, and with that they also take away natural oils and can leave your hair rough and dry. However, just because a product is sulfate-free, doesn’t mean you still won’t run into these problems. Many beauty companies have swapped out sulfates for other chemicals, which can sometimes even be worse. To ensure that sulfate-free products won’t further damage your hair, look for products that use fruit or vegetable-based cleansing ingredients. Sulfate is the ingredient that causes shampoos to lather. If your shampoo lathers, it contains sulfates. For a foolproof way to know if your product contains sulfates, you’ll see “sulfate” listed pretty high up on the ingredients label. While the most common parabens also have “paraben” in their name—butylparaben, methylparaben, and propylparaben—they can also be listed as Alkyl parahydroxy benzoates. If you’re looking to steer clear of products that contain parabens, opt for ones that use ingredients such as ethylhexylglycerin (which is plant-derived) or phenoxyethanol, another alternative to parabens, a naturally derived ether alcohol. No matter what, chemicals are chemicals. Everything is best used in moderation so it’s always a good idea to switch up your beauty routine and rotate between products. Hope this helps w out being too one sided. As I try very hard not to use PARABENS and sulphates but some things I've found are the only products that work for me and they don't come in a paraben or sulphate free version - well then the moderation part kicks in.

Re: RE: Are parabens good?

This was an awesome read, thank you @maryalise!

It keeps a lot of things bacteria-free, etc etc. However, they have a list of cons. This is going to be about MY personal con - it causes me to break the heck out. I always make sure to buy products that are paraben-free. Ever since I used a crappy Maybelline foundation with parabens, I stopped using anything with that stuff. BUT eh, as long as you see that it doesn't affect your skin, you're good. Sadly, it destroyed mine for quite some time. 

parabens ARE good! they're preservatives so that your products don't end up harboring fungi or bacteria. most natural alternatives to parabens are actually more likely to cause an allergic reaction or be irritating. even lush uses parabens in their products!

I'm not sure about whether parabens affect the skin. However they can be dangerous to animals like fish.

Parabens are a tried and true preservative.  They aren't "good", or "bad".  They just are.

The hysteria against parabens is a crock IMO.  There always has to be a bogeyman in skincare that is the next thing to avoid.  We will find another soon.

I don't avoid parabens in skincare, nor do I care if a product is paraben free.  Due to the unpopularity of parabens, most brands are avoiding it.  Fine by me.  We all pay a premium to get products that are made without a certain ingredient, at least until it becomes cheaper to make it.

There are people that are allergic to paraben just as one might be allergic to any ingredient.  If you are so, you have the option to avoid it.

Anonymous Insider

Nothing wrong with parabens. They're even produced naturally in fruits and vegetables.
9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 19 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing