Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Haul Stars
|

The Tried and True OG's

This morning while getting ready I reached for a product I have been using for... I'd say at least a decade - Kate Somerville ExfoliKate™ Intensive Exfoliating Treatment and I thought about how long I've been using it. It's one of the first products I remember that really got me interested in skin care, and I still use it to this day. Then I was thinking about all the other products I started using so many years ago, and still use. 

We all have those new releases we are excited to try, a product we've had our eye on for a while and finally get, collections we love where we need every shade, or a recent fave. We'll share products that work well for us, discuss how to add a product to address the new skincare issues that's popped up... but how often do we give our first loves some well... love? What helped start your relationship with beauty that you are still using? Here are mine -

CLINIQUE High Impact Mascara Okay y'all do know I love this if you happen to see my What Are You Wearing Today posts... it's literally the only mascara I am willing to wear.

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Original For real not enough people talk about how good this stuff is and it's probably cause eye shadow primer is boring.

Dior J'adore Eau de Parfum I remember years ago (like two apartments, a townhouse, and a house ago) I lusted after this perfume and got a 500 pt reward that included a small bottle and kept that for as looooooong as I cooooooould before it wasn't quite as painful to buy a full sized bottle. Still my absolute favorite. 

bareMinerals Original Mineral Veil Pressed Setting Powder This might be kiiiiiiinda cheating cause to be fair it was the Original Loose Veil I wore way back when, but this was before Pressed was even a thing. I just prefer the pressed compact is all, but it's basically the same product. 

Share yours, be inspired by others' loves, and reminisce on a time when your stash was significantly more minimal. 

Re: The Tried and True OG's

@lmaster Great items! I love that you included a lash curler, I don’t even know how long I’ve had mine! 

@alexasteph thank you!! It's most definitely the OG of my lash game

@alexasteph These are some products I've been using for over four years:

First Aid Beauty Mini Pure Skin Face Cleanser 2 oz/ 56.7 g 

Paula's Choice BHA 9

CeraVe PM

First Aid Beauty FAB Skin Lab Retinol Eye Cream with Triple Hyaluronic Acid 0.5 oz/ 15 mL 

up & up oil blotting sheets

Clean & Clear Persa-gel

SEPHORA COLLECTION 12 Hour Contour Pencil Eyeliner 

Paul Mitchell Hot Off the Press

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum

Phytodefrisant

It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Treatment

John Freida Frizz Ease Extra Strength Serum

Living Proof No Frizz Humidity Shield 

Pureology Hydrate Shampoo for Dry, Color-Treated Hair 

Estee Lauder Pleasures

I'm sure there are others that I can't think of, and many others that I've been using for 3+ years, and others that I'm just too lazy to tag.

@greeneyedgirl107 I love the FAB retinol eye cream!! 

@alexasteph I just realized that I goofed and meant to add First Aid Beauty FAB Skin Lab Retinol Serum 0.25% Pure Concentrate 1 oz/ 30 mL .  That's one of the products I've been using for 4+ years.  I DO in fact use the FAB retinol eye cream, but it hasn't been quite so many years.

Here are mine:

Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel 8.5 oz 

Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL 

Too Faced Shadow Insurance 24-Hour Eyeshadow Primer - Although I've heard the formula has been changed and now it's dreadful!

Cover FX Cream Concealer - Discontinued and the company has been sold; I do have backups.👍

Neutrogena Rainbath 

@faeriegirl I love the YTTP Superfood Cleanser as well! It’s what I’ve been using for, oh, the last year or so? My fave was discontinued and I was on a 2 year search for a good replacement and the YTTP has worked really nicely. 

@alexasteph @Great idea! 

Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve 0.8 oz/ 22 g is my true og - I think this is probably one of the first things I bought and all the lip masks can come and go, this still does a great job! 

And while I didn’t add Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder to my routine until later in my makeup journey, I’ve re-purchased this so many times at this point ! I really can’t imagine finding anything better ! 

Aww, that Rosebud salve is made near my hometown and I grew up using it. I couldn’t believe when I first saw it at Sephora! The strawberry one smells so much nicer, but doesn’t last as long/work as well as the original! I used to argue with my dad about getting the strawberry but he is was totally right about the OG! @Kim888 

Yes to the Rosebud Salve @Kim888 !  I love the little tin, and I remember using it as a hand salve, too

@Kim888 I’ve heard good things about the CT setting powder! 

Back already, can't believe I didn't mention NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer Caramel .  That was my concealer for so long, sometimes I still pick it up even though I'm a fan of Jouer Cosmetics Essential High Coverage Liquid Concealer .  They are both so creamy and long lasting.  Whenever I'd get a makeover at Sephora, the Nars was usually what the BA would use on me.

Also First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads 60 Pads .  My favorite gentle exfoliate + toner.  Cannot be without my FAB pads!!

@danielledanielle @The Nars concealer is totally worth mentioning !! I feel like we’ve all used it at least once !

@danielledanielle I have used NARS Radient Creamy in the past as well! It’s a solid concealer. 

A couple of my OG products are @alexasteph Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Body Butter in vanilla bean, vanilla apricot, peppermint bark , and whipped strawberries and cream. Also Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish Eyeshadow Primer 0.41 oz/ 11 g is one of the best eyeshadow primers that I have tried. 

That is a really great primer, although my true OG is the NARS Pro-Prime™ Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base ! @Loretta55 

I keep trying other eye primers @sister13 but I always go back to Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish Eyeshadow Primer 0.41 oz/ 11 g .

@Loretta55  Completely agree with you about the Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish eye primer, and I should've included it in my post. It still amazes me how much better this primer is than Smashbox's other Photo Finish eye primer—to the point where I don't understand why the brand still bothers to make the non-"24 Hour" primer. 

@Loretta55 The JM Body Butter is so nice! It’s a little too oily for my skin in the climate I live in now though. 

I only use it on my arms @alexasteph . I don’t find it oily. Occasionally I will use it on my legs.

Conversation Stats
  • 86 replies
  • 469 Hearts Given
  • 16 Contributors
Photos3
  • Block of Marseille soap for clothes and laundry
  • Liquid Marseille soap - skin cleaning
  • This photo makes me realize how many faves are discontinued... sigh.
testing