Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Haul Stars
|

The Tried and True OG's

This morning while getting ready I reached for a product I have been using for... I'd say at least a decade - Kate Somerville ExfoliKate™ Intensive Exfoliating Treatment and I thought about how long I've been using it. It's one of the first products I remember that really got me interested in skin care, and I still use it to this day. Then I was thinking about all the other products I started using so many years ago, and still use. 

We all have those new releases we are excited to try, a product we've had our eye on for a while and finally get, collections we love where we need every shade, or a recent fave. We'll share products that work well for us, discuss how to add a product to address the new skincare issues that's popped up... but how often do we give our first loves some well... love? What helped start your relationship with beauty that you are still using? Here are mine -

CLINIQUE High Impact Mascara Okay y'all do know I love this if you happen to see my What Are You Wearing Today posts... it's literally the only mascara I am willing to wear.

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Original For real not enough people talk about how good this stuff is and it's probably cause eye shadow primer is boring.

Dior J'adore Eau de Parfum I remember years ago (like two apartments, a townhouse, and a house ago) I lusted after this perfume and got a 500 pt reward that included a small bottle and kept that for as looooooong as I cooooooould before it wasn't quite as painful to buy a full sized bottle. Still my absolute favorite. 

bareMinerals Original Mineral Veil Pressed Setting Powder This might be kiiiiiiinda cheating cause to be fair it was the Original Loose Veil I wore way back when, but this was before Pressed was even a thing. I just prefer the pressed compact is all, but it's basically the same product. 

Share yours, be inspired by others' loves, and reminisce on a time when your stash was significantly more minimal. 

Re: The Tried and True OG's

@Loretta55 When I lived in a drier/colder environment the extra hydration was perfect! Maybe “oily” wasn’t the right word - I’m just not experiencing as much dry skin any more so using such a moisturizing product isn’t quite as needed, and I can definitely feel the difference of how it absorbs, if that makes sense!  

Thank you very much for clarifying that @alexasteph. The only JM product that I sometimes found too heavy on my skin was the Divine Drip Honey Butter Balm that appears to have been discontinued.

I am a bit jealous of hearing about your weather conditions because our weather in the northeast feels more like late fall not spring. Temperature today will only be in the lower fifties and cloudy. Starting tomorrow though we will be getting a warm up with brighter skies. 

@Loretta55 Ah, yes, heavy! That is a good word for it. 

I actually moved for the weather - My northwest weather is very similar to your northeast weather. I was just struggling too much physically and mentally during the winters and early spring. The environment I’m in now is much better for me and I’m a lot happier and healthier. 

Hopefully one day I will be able to move to a warmer and drier climate @alexasteph

@Loretta55 Almost everyone I have met in my new Florida home is from up north! We will welcome you with open arms! 

One day maybe @alexasteph! Thank you for the invite.

@Loretta55 I have a lot of eye primer to with through, but since @ShawnPRO mentioned using this primer, I've been thinking about it.  Now you mentioning validates the need to purchase 🤣

I also really loved Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion – Caffeine Caffeine , but it's no more.  The og is great, but caffeine was my perfect shade match.

The Nars eye primer is pretty good, too

That primer is the only eyeshadow primer that seems to work for my oily eyelids @danielledanielle. Even Christine from Temptalia mentioned that it was an HG product for her. I try to wait until it goes on sale then I stock up.

Hi @alexasteph well, I started a minimalism project and declutter a few years ago already....I used to collect and buy so much, like a shopping addiction, but slowly, I started to buy less and less, and now I have what I use, and that's it, no more piles of unused stuff. I only collect lip balms, but it was intense a few years ago. Anyways, I have a few OG's that I want to share with you all:

- favorite and most used hand cream: L'Occitane Nourishing and Protective Shea Butter Hand Cream . My favorite one is the almond one, I have bought a few tubes already of it, it's the best one, imo. Love the smell and the silkiness of it.

- favorite lip product: Dior Dior Addict Lip Glow : I bought a few shades of this. I used to have the pink one around (didn't love it much) but the 000 clear and the 012 rosewood are the best easy, comfy lip balms/tints that you can own. I always have one in my bag when I'm on the go.

- favorite home/personal care product: marseille soap. I live in Italy so France it's next door. We use a lot of this soap around the house, you can use it for many things (even for clothes) and it's the best. It's cheap, it smells like talc (love it) and with one bar of soap/or a plastic dispenser, you can clean yourself, from head to toe!! And, to be honest, I actually use this soap for cleaning myself. No more expensive cleaning products for me (I used to have a different one for every part of the body). Now, marseille soap in the tub, soak in it, rinse and repeat 🤣 And no, it doesn't break your skin down, or makes it too dry. It's perfect, even for the face (keep in mind that my skin is combo, but I don't have many issues with acne or rashes), so my face can tolerate a product that is not specific for it.

@tsavorite , 🙌🏼 to First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration  .  Nightly hand cream!

@Skunk12puzzola I also love the L’Occitane hand creams! They’ve been all I have used in recent years as well. Definitely my first high end cream, I used the Bath and Body Works creams in my younger years! 

Those Dior balms look so interesting to me! They are always on the back of my mind for something to consider when browsing for items. 

@alexasteph I remember my 1st dior lip glow (pink one) very well because I bought it with my very 1st salary as a nurse 💖 I was so excited because I could splurge a bit more on something I liked 😍

@Skunk12puzzola ,

Thanks for the ideas!  

I'm familiar with the L' Occitane Hand Creams.  First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream is my hand cream addiction.

I was until recently addicted to L' Occitane Milk Soap, but then they changed the formula and broke my heart.💔

I need to try more shades in the Dior Addict Lip Glow! 

The Marseille Soap sounds interesting (because it's French 😊).

Both the solid cubes and in liquid form?

@tsavorite solid marseille soap is usually used for clothes. The liquid form can be used on the body (probably not the best on the hair, as it can be a little too strong for the scalp)....but, other than that, it's an amazing product. It's been around for years, and it smells very fresh and clean. I will add 2 pictures....sorry, it's all in italian, but these 2 products are what we actually use at home.

Liquid Marseille soap - skin cleaningLiquid Marseille soap - skin cleaningBlock of Marseille soap for clothes and laundryBlock of Marseille soap for clothes and laundry

Thanks for the photos, @Skunk12puzzola . 

They are different from what I saw when I googled Marseille soap!  You are educating us!  😊

@tsavorite yes, because these are the italian versions of it. If you googled the l'occitane one or other brands (french ones), it's a little different. Sometimes they add other ingredients to it, like olive oil (at least, here). Marseille soap + olive oil can be a nice combo for a cleanser, and is very nourishing on the skin!!

@Skunk12puzzola ,

Yes, when I googled Marseille Soap, it was the French cube-shaped soap with olive oil in it that I saw, and I also saw that there is French liquid Marseille soap in bottles.  It looked like it was all meant for skin.  It sounds worth trying.

@tsavorite I know that you are in the US, so this brand is a little tricky to find there, but google "Marius Fabre"....it's a french brand, available here in Italy, that does all skincare products with marseille soap, olive oil etc. All natural and it's a very old, classic brand. Another one is panier des sens, a little pricey but worth it!!

@Skunk12puzzola ,

Thank you !  I'm going to try the Marius Fabre Marseille bath soap bar from the Boston General Store online.

Great idea @alexasteph to get us thinking and reminiscing about our faves. A few come to mind but I want to be thorough, so let me think and will report back! 

@sister13 I look forward to reading about your OG loves! 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 86 replies
  • 469 Hearts Given
  • 16 Contributors
Photos3
  • Block of Marseille soap for clothes and laundry
  • Liquid Marseille soap - skin cleaning
  • This photo makes me realize how many faves are discontinued... sigh.
testing