Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Haul Stars
|

Thank you Sephora, Milk Makeup, Dior and Tocca for the lovely spring goodies!

Hey everyone! I was chosen to get some stuff for free to try from Sephora!  The items are:

Milk Makeup highlighters in Mars and Supernova

Dior Pump and Volume Mascara

Tocca Stella hair fragrance

gratis1.jpg

I have tried the Milk highlighters and swatched them on my arm as well as on both of my cheeks for you guys.  I really love both! They apply well and don't stay feeling sticky on the cheeks after application.  I think that Mars is great if you want something more natural/subtle, while Supernova is great for a sort of extra terrestrial feel ;).  It was super hard to capture Mars in my photos though, but it is a sort of orangey color with a reddish shimmer (think Fireball by Urban Decay).  It looks super great and natural once on the face though!

Spoiler
gratis2.jpg

gratis4.jpg

gratis5.jpg

As for the Dior mascara, I haven't tried it yet but I opened it to check out the brush! I'm curious how it'll work for me.. I hope well! It doesn't look like other mascaras which I find myself using more often (think of an hourglass shaped brush with more dense bristles), but maybe this one will surprise me 😉  Photo in spoiler!

Spoiler
gratis7.jpg

EDIT: Just tried the mascara on one eye... Omg.. LOOK AT MY LASHES. One eye has nothing and the other has two coats of the Dior mascara (applied one coat, then waited about 10 seconds before applying the next- no curling or primer used). This is amazing, wow. Sorta in shock, and if this doesn't flake and go wild, this is my new HG.

gratis8.jpg

And finally the hair fragrance! I got it in Stella and omg it smells so good.  I sprayed one spray in my hair and it's lingering with me and all I can smell! It's very feminine and floral, it's quite sweet too and I think it smells stronger than many of my regular perfumes.  I think this is something I'll spray onto my hair on windy days so the wind can lift my hair and spread the scent 😉 haha.

Thank you so much for all of this Sephora! It really made me happy (especially with my low-buy and such lol).  

Re: Thank you Sephora, Milk Makeup, Dior and Tocca for the lovely spring goodies!

Sorry late to the party! Congrats ladies! Really love that mascara! Diorshow black out has always been my go to... Think I need to try this new one 😄

Re: Thank you Sephora, Milk Makeup, Dior and Tocca for the lovely spring goodies!

Here's a better look at what the mascara does on my short, fine lashes.  

1 coat vs 2 coats

Dior Mascara 1 coat vs 2.jpg

I was really impressed with what it does in one coat, but I love how dramatic it is with two coats! I love the creamy texture - it clings to my lashes and coats them so easily.  I did get some mascara on my lids when applying, but not as much as I usually do. In all fairness, I make a mess every time I put on mascara 😉 I didn't find that I needed the pump feature because the wand was generously coated without it, but I could see that being helpful in a few weeks as it dries out.  

I also tried out the Supernova highlight on Friday. I was worried it would look too purple on me (like Cover Fx Halo was), but it's actually subtle enough to be flattering and brightening on me.  My initial thoughts about Mars are the same - I absolutely love the glossy look these have. They're understated without being boring, and they make my skin look really healthy and glowy.  

20170421_113657.jpg

Supernova, Mars

20170425_122358.jpg

how do you get chosen to review makeup???

Really pretty @kso1225! Love those swatches!

Supernova looks lovely on you 😊

Thank you! I was so, so happy to find one of those purple-y shifty highlights that actually works on me!   

@kso1225Looks lovely! : )

@RoseCharlie thank you! I'm so happy with them!  

@sabrinas@Melissa136@trishavtHey ladies - thank you so much for posting your thoughtful reviews and beautiful pictures!  This thread and your reviews definitely convinced me to buy and try the Dior pump and volume Mascara and I LOVE it! I was a bit worried about dropping the $37CAD on a mascara I don't reeeaaallly need (because I already have like 6 different mascaras on the go) and also because I had not been very impressed with the Diorshow mascara but the pump and volume WORKS REALLY REALLY WELL! : ) I looove it! I always wear primer - I've been using both the Diorshow Maximizer 3D primer as well as the Lancome Bosster XL primer (for special events I use both) and they have pretty much changed my entire mascara game - primers are freaking great!  Oh anyhoo my question is this - since I like to really go to town with my primer and mascara I'm thinking I would likely benefit from a metal lash comb - does anyoen have any good recommendations for lash combs?

Good Morning to you all ladies,
Those are some very nice things you all received. All of you ladies look gorgeous with the Highlighter  from MILK and the Mascara by Dior. 
Quick question, what is Gratis? I'm over here, in Canada and just thought I would ask considering the beautiful things that you received and they look like Full sized bottles. So, did all of you ladies receive these for (gratis) as in free? Is Gratis, a Sephora monthly box, if there is such a thing? LOL I thought that I read somewhere, that one of you ladies got these to try out? 
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I would love to understand. 
Enjoy the weekend everyone 💕

@DutchSteffi This is my first time receiving gratis, so don't quote me on everything. But this is from my general understanding.

To everyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstood something!

This type of gratis is kind of like a gift and thank you for contributions made to Sephora and its community, Beauty Talk. These contributions help the community grow, so it should be meaningful. It can be your input on some new items or a brand, giving advice or opinions to other BTers, or participating in the fun that the community provides. We have lovely moderators who might take notice, and decide that we might be interested in testing some products. It is up to their discretion whether a BTer gets gratis or not.

To answer you questions directly: (1) Yes, gratis is free. (2) No, you cannot sign up to receive gratis. Moderators decide who receive gratis. What you're thinking of is Sephora Play! It's a subscription box, costs roughly $10/month, and you get to test out products. Similar to Ipsy and Birchbox.

Hope this answers your questions 😉

@Melissa136 and @txcatx Thank you both very much for explaining it to me. I'm still relatively new to Sephora online, just about four months now. I'm trying my best to read and understand all the different BEAUTYTALK community threads.
This makes it easier to know what to purchase for my 3 daughters and myself and also how fast you need to be to use your points and all the 'deluxe Sample' codes. Now I know about Sephora Play, I asked and they said in a year or so it will be available in Canada. Not a big deal, we get fff, ipsy and many others. I can wait till then. Thanks for explaining it all, including the 'Gratis' as well. That certainly is a very nice perk. Have a nice day.

That sounds right! The letter for this particular gratis mentioned that BT members were chosen for participation in the various challenges (three lipstick challenges, eyeshadow challenge, perfume challenge, highlighter challenge). Sometimes, BT members get to try brand new products, as I know some people recently received Marc Jacobs eyeliners and Bite lip pencils (I was lucky enough to get the Skin Laundry set). It's a great way to get the word out about new products, and I love reading everyone's thoughts and reviews.

@sabrinas - just popping in to say WOW, your lashes are gorgeous!   

Congratulations everyone!  This was a great gift!  🙂

I received gratis as well and want to thank Sephora, Dior, Milk Makeup and Tocca for the lovely gifts.

IMG_7789.JPG

I have little exposure to the aforementioned brands with the exception of Dior (lipsticks) so it's a real treat to try out some new products.

I tested all of these products yesterday and again today so I could write and share a review that I felt did the products justice.

Milk Makeup:

Holographic Stick in the shades Mars and Supernova

Highlighters are one of my favorite products and I was quite happy to see this gift included two highlighters in unique shades that have become popularized thanks to the recent unicorn trend.

Colors: The shade Supernova is a lovely mix of blue and purple that combined form an icy lilac shade. I find that this color stands out from the plethora of lilac based highlighters on the market because of its it's unique balm like texture. This texture is also works well on those with dry skin, specifically in contrast to powder which can often accentuate dry patches of skin.

The shade Mars is a mix of light gold and iridescent pink, which results in a fascinating peach-like pink. This shade also works well as a blush or even lip product (I mixed this with a Marc Jacobs gloss to produce a nice coral).

Below are a few photos in the spoiler. I also mixed the two colors which resulted in a nice frosty pink shade.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender (33).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.05.49 PM.png
IMG_7817.JPG

Application: This highlighter works best when applied to bare skin, or at most, when one is wearing a light application of foundation. The reason being that this product will pick up any traces of foundation, which makes it harder for the product to stand out on its own. An easy solution to streaky foundation caused by the direct application of this highlight is the use of a sponge or fingertips to lightly pat the product against the skin.

Durability: On both occasions I applied these highlighters in the morning and found that they lasted all day (8 hours of wear) without fading. Overall they have great staying power and Im curious to see how they perform in humid climate.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender (32).jpg
Wearing Milk Makeup Holographic Stick in 'Mars'

Dior:

Diorshow Pump'N'Volume Mascara

Mascara is one of my least favorite products because I have short stubborn lashes that do not curl. I have invested in some of the more cost efficient (e.g: drugstore) mascaras and spent a lot on high end mascaras to no avail. Neither drugstore nor high end products have done much to lengthen my lashes. 

Application: I curled my lashes prior to testing this mascara and was surprised that it lengthened my lashes. I applied two coats and let the product dry. I then combed my lashes to remove excess product because it made my lashes look a bit heavy (clumpy) and re-curled them. Overall I'm happy with this mascara and will purchase it in a few months.

Durability: Curled lashes still going strong after several hours of wear!

Spoiler
IMG_8102.JPG

Tocca

Hair Fragrance in Stella

I'm familiar with the Tocca brand but have not taken the time to explore their product line so I was eager to test this out.

Scent: 

I sprayed some on the ends of my hair and on my wrist to get a good smell. I immediately noticed the strong smell of alcohol. After some time I smelled my wrist again and was happy to detect a sweet citrus and musk like scent, and the absence of the strong smell of alcohol which initially offended my olfactory system.

Durability: The fragrance slowly faded within six hours. However, my wrist still smells like the fragrance so it could be that this particular item is competing against the smell of other products I used when I washed my hair this morning. Overall, this is a great scent that isn't overpowering. That said, I do not consider this to be a "must have" when compared to the other items in my loves list.

@trishavt  wow! Thanks for all this info! Stunning as usual 😉

@trishavt, Congrats! ❤ This is such a thoughtful review of the products! 

@trishavt thank you for such a detailed review!! i am so in love with both of those milk highlighters. i'm drawn to supernova, but mars is gorgeous too! i really want to try more from the milk line. so far i'm impressed!

Wowza @trishavt - what gorgeous pictures Heart  Thank you so much for your thorough review...I'm so happy you received this gratis!!  Enjoy your goodies...the highlighters looks SO pretty.

The mascara is fabulous on you! I think I'm going to try brushing through my lashes next time to get rid of the clumps. It's too wet right now for me, I need the tube to dry out a bit!

141 Replies
Photos35
  • gratis2.jpg
  • gratis4.jpg
  • gratis5.jpg
  • gratis7.jpg
  • gratis1.jpg
  • IMG_3664.JPG
  • gratis8.jpg
  • 1813_00043000057551.jpg
  • IMG_4754.JPG
  • 2.jpg