Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Haul Stars
|

Summer must haves

What are your fav summer products? I'm craving something juicy! 

Re: Summer must haves

I definitely get the craving for all things juicy and tropical come summer, but for me, it's all about mint or tea tree!

Spoiler

Sunscreen goes without saying all year round. I haven't tried a ton, just some of CeraVe's for face and Neutrogena for body: meh and too fragranced, respectively. All the Korean or Japanese brands I want to try are always sold out at US retailers, or the shipping costs/process from overseas intimidates me. But I'm really really loving the Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ . I got it in the Supergoop! SPF From Head-to-Toe Kit so I'm satisfied with just getting a full size, and even if I try others and like them I'll still probably repurchase the Supergoop. Deciding between trying their Supergoop! Glowscreen Body SPF 40, Supergoop! PLAY Body Mousse SPF 50 with Blue Sea Kale, or Supergoop! Glow Oil SPF 50 when I'm out of my Neutrogena body stuff.

Tingly, invigorating tea tree haircare. Really any tea tree shampoo & conditioner or scalp treatment. I was a big lover of the Organix Tea Tree line but I've moved away from that brand as a whole because of the dimethicone-heavy formulas and for other various reasons. Same story with the Generic Value Products' Paul Mitchell dupes. I currently like the Avalon Organics Scalp Treatment Tea Tree shampoo & conditioner but I should probably just try the actual Paul Mitchell line someday since it's such a cult favorite. Briogeo's Tea Tree line looks promising too, though. I also used to use John Frieda Root Awakening Spray, mostly for the smell and detangling aspect but there's always plenty of mint-based thickening treatments to try and some Aveda product scents are similar. 

Any mint essential oil rollerball (one that is pre-blended with a carrier oil so you can apply directly to skin). I apply it to the nape of my neck or my feet. So cooling and refreshing! Sometimes stayin' in the shade or eatin' popsicles just does not do the trick, but these things are always a lifesaver. Tbh, I've been thinking about picking up some of those gemstone rollerball bottles (you can get an assortment of 10 on Amazon for ~$20) and mixing my own, just because I have a huge essential oil collection already, and for the aesthetic and good vibes of the gemstones, haha. Plus then I can add any other scents of my liking to make it double as a simple layered perfume instead of just smelling like straight-up mint.

A cooling eye de-puffer. Usually I feel the same way about undereye de-puffers as I feel about eye creams in general, which is that they're a nice experience, but unnecessary. I don't even mind a bit of undereye puffiness, I just like to double up on the minty experience in the summer. I've been working my way through the Physician's Formula Refreshmint Cucumber & Bamboo Eye De-puffer stick for a while now. Cooling and convenient, but I've had it for too long, so it's dried out a bit. Not as easy to spread and pulls at my undereyes if I apply it stick-to-face style. I spread it on my fingers and warm it up so as not to create wrinkles. Some others I'll try when I can justify the purchase are the Tula Glow & Get It Cooling & Brightening Eye Balm and the MILK MAKEUP Cooling Water. Bonus: Ice globes/rollers, undereye masks, or sleep masks you can refrigerate are awesome too. I.e. SEPHORA COLLECTION Metal Facial Cooling Globes, SEPHORA COLLECTION Cooling Body Roller, SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Eye Mask CucumberSkyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels, SEPHORA COLLECTION Rose Quartz Eye Mask. Now I'm getting carried away with this section, but I imagine one of those little skincare fridges for all this stuff would take the experience to the next level.

A trusty face mist. I've tried some from e.l.f., Soo'ae, Garnier, all kinds of skincare-leaning mists and more setting spray types. I've also been doing a lot of research into sunscreen mists for SPF reapplication over makeup and I'm still testing out the Supergoop! Defense Refresh (Re)setting Mist SPF 40. My favorites that I find myself re-buying are the Evian Brumisateur® Natural Mineral Water Facial Spray , because it's just simple water with a continuous micromist nozzle, and the Heritage Store Rosewater Toner, which I like because it's just glycerin, hyaluronic acid, aloe, and rosewater. They sell a mist, but it's pure rosewater, so I buy the Rosewater Toner version to decant into my own sprayer. Go by your needs, but man, make sure you have a face mist. Not to get too deep but I feel like a lot of the human experience is dictated more by our mindset than the actual reality of the situation. Therefore, it can be 100 degrees out, but if I feel like a nymph splashing around in the spray of a waterfall because I've got my face mist, everything's good. 

Lastly, I love hair/face/body rhinestones & glitter. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but these are a personal favorite so I gotta ramble for just a sec. In the beauty community it's widely accepted that we all like some kind of glow, whether it be luminous skin or a blinding highlight, right? My signature look at some point around highschool became a pair of self-adhesive rhinestones, one under each eye. I get whole sheets at the dollar store so I have a literal file folder in my room full of options. They bring me so much happiness --even when, much like goths get the cliché "Don't you know Halloween's over?" remark, I get the "Euphoria makeup is so last year..." sorts of comments. If a tiny shiny sticker under my eyeball, or a streak of holo pigment in my hair, or some glitter body gel on my shoulders and collarbones can make me so happy, I simply have to suggest other people try it out. I don't pay too much mind to "looking my age", but if you're into a mature style this can definitely translate into more subtle applications. I.e. a shimmery inner corner and browbone eye look, glossy hair, body oils, etc. A bit over-the-top again, and maybe too personal, but I've already written about half a BuzzFeed article here so I might as well go all in! 😅 I just got some Amika holo hairsprays for my birthday to try, my favorite eye glitters are Nyx's loose glitter pots applied on top of their Glitter Primer, and the rest of my collection is too varied to mention or are lucky finds from the Dollar Tree or Marshall's/Ross/TJMaxx.

This is my second post in the BIC, so I apologize if I didn't lurk long enough and am blatantly going against any common thread etiquette. Also, I've only very recently made it to a place of financial stability where I have the disposable income to make a lot of beauty purchases. So, some of the items I talked about just to give a good example/equivalent available through Sephora, and I only tagged my tried-and-true favs even though the other examples might also be available. Even then, some of those favs aren't truly taggable, just underlined to signify the brand and product name.

TLDR; Sunscreen: Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ # because the best sunscreen is the sunscreen you'll actually bother to wear, Haircare: Tea tree anything for thickening and invigorating benefits, Cooling extras: Mint essential body oil rollerball to beat the heat and eye balm/gel/cream with refreshing ingredients like mint or cucumber, Face mist: Evian Brumisateur® Natural Mineral Water Facial Spray or anything that fits your skincare/makeup/SPF needs, Shiny things: Hair/face/body gems, glitter, etc because life is too short to not live out your fairy/mermaid/goddess fantasy!

I always reach for lots of Sol De Janeiro during the summer. Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Visibly Firming Refillable Body Cream , Sol de Janeiro Glow Oils , Sol de Janeiro Bum Bum Sol Oil Sunscreen SPF 30 3 oz/ 90 mL , and Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Crush Cheirosa ’71 Hair & Body Fragrance Mist 3.0 oz/ 90 mL are my favorites!

@faeriegirl I have the glow oil, it smells soooo goood. 😍 I just ordered the '71 spray...I wish there was a bigger one tho, as well as the coconut one, bc I looove coconut.

@treestar86  I love the 71 scent! I wish they would make a body cream in that scent💛

@faeriegirl yes, they should have matching items in all of the scents!!

Tags:
6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing