Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Haul Stars
|

Subscription Central (Spoilers, Unboxings, and More)

Hi All! 

We are long overdue for an updated Subscription Sharing thread!  Whether it's BoxyCharm, Ipsy, or PopSugar we want to hear (and see) all about what you are subscribed to.

giphy

Interested in trading with other users?  Here are some things you need to know from @SydBristow and her trade threads:

Spoiler

IMPORTANT NOTE: To comply with Sephora's terms of use, items cannot be listed "for sale" or even for trade for Sephora or other gift cards. Please do not list "prices" either (which implies selling), but you can list approximate trade value.

Because a number of fake items have been sent in trades, it is strongly advised you provide photos of your higher-end items, including the labeling (you may be asked for it anyway) and list WHERE you purchased the item from. Fakes are readily available from less reputable sellers and can contain toxins! It is important to everyone to know where their cosmetics come from.

Please also be aware that some makeup products cannot be sanitized - please use caution in your trades. When in doubt, ask the community, it's a great resource! Used items you may wish to avoid are mascara, liquid eyeliner, lip glosses, and cream products.

Acquiring Items
Please use discretion with whom you enter into trades with. There is a summarized list of trusted traders here: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/List-of-Successful-Traders-January-2015/td-p/1852954 Protect yourself in your trades, ask questions (such as where an item was purchased), ask for additional photos (to show level of usage and/or labeling to prove authenticity).
If you don’t feel 100% comfortable doing a trade because someone is new, you can request they send their items first.

Communication
Please use the private message system on Beauty Talk and/or tag the user you are trying to get in touch with. Communication is key! You can tell a lot about a trade by how the communication goes. If you will be unavailable for any periods of time, please be up front, and if there are any issues with shipping please be up front about that as well.

Delivery
Having tracking and insurance on shipments goes a long way to figuring out where an item might be. The USPS puts anticipated delivery dates and tracking numbers right on the receipt. If there is any issue with an item you have sent out, please follow up with the carrier.

SUCCESSFUL TRADE EXPERIENCES?
Consider providing your feedback on successful trades on this thread here: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/Successful-Trades-or-TSB-Experiences/td-p/1012387

**the previous thread can be found here: Subscription box photo sharing

Re: Subscription Central (Spoilers, Unboxings, and More)

Beautiful swatches, @fatimamummy!!

October ipsy glam bag

1015201651.jpg

 Hand cream was an add-on. Overall not a bad bag. I choose the SLmissglam brush. Still waiting on my GBP😒

Oooh, that Ofra highlight though, @sonnydee!! Hope your GWP eventually arrived.

Here is September box from Detox Market subscription. Total retail value is C$141. It includes two full size products , A cleanser and a serum.  I love the other products from Josh Rosebrook that I have tried so I’m excited for these two as well.

And once again it is not letting me post a photo. 

Glad youre excited for the box, @fatimamummy!! Sorry you can't post a picture of it!!

Subscription Central (Spoilers, Unboxings, and More)

Since I cancelled all my boxycharms, I resubscribed to FFF. Sorry the picture is not the best; my puppy decided he was very interested in what I was doing so I had to get things pack up fast 😂. I used a code when I signed up and got a summer editor box for free with my annual subscription. So this is the summer editor box, my fall box, and a few add ons....the box was a whomping 15lbs! I'm really happy I decided to change things up. I got some old favorites, cute decor items, and some exciting new products! I think a quarterly subscription will actually give me time to enjoy the products I have and not feel overwhelmed by new things every month.

Wow, These are awesome. If I ever decide to subscribe another box, it will probably be FFF.

Oh wow, @Lazybeautybeast!! These are a great couple of boxes!! Now I wish I hadn't stopped subscribing this season. Enjoy all of your goodies!!

RE: Subscription Central (Spoilers, Unboxings, and More)

@Lazybeautybeast This box looks great. I use Cocofloss daily. I’ve never seen the orange flavor, but I bet it’s good! Love the C.E.O. Glow too.

August Boxes 

Boxycharm — 3.5 Stars

20200901_150250~2.jpg

Spoiler
I had been interested in the GLAMGLOW MOISTURETRIP™ Omega-Rich Face Moisturizer but then got a bit out of love with thicker moisturizers. But now, I am using them as night creams, and am excited to try this one, especially as it is supposed to reduce redness. I tried it on my arms, and a little goes a long way, but it isn't too thick to not spread easily. I love that it fairly unscented.
The Clarins is super pretty, but I don't love the packaging. When did lippies start getting packaged in these plastic tube like things?
The treStique is actually cute, but I have a bunch of things like this from Nudestix and others that I use for travel, so I don't need anything like this now, plus the colors aren't my fave.
I just, wish, like I don't mind getting filler items, but I wish they went by the profile a little bit more. The brushes, since I have tools listed as an item I want, I can't be mad about, and I can likely sell easily. But the brow pencil. I have always rated brow products low, and they aren't in my items I want rating on the site. Just blah.

Boxycharm Premium — 4 Stars 

20200826_093031.jpg

Spoiler
Honestly, A+ sold this for me. Just so nice to be able to get it in Canada to try. I am curious to compare it to the Kate Somerville Retinol + Vitamin C, my currently weekly high-dose retinol.
This Ciate Editor's Palette (New England) is so pretty. I really like the Glitter Storm palette, so hopefully the formula will be the same/similar and there are so many shimmers and metallics in this. 
It is nice to get a MAC lippie in there. I don't love the color, I'd rather not get so many beige-pinks, but it is nice quality. I might keep or sale it, I haven't quite decided.
Again, the filler items are just not for me. I almost wish I had gotten the TF setting powder as it would have been easier to sell. I don't like disposable body products and I keep getting them, blah...

Chic Beauty Box — 3 Stars

20200819_103333~2.jpg

Spoiler
This is my own fault, I should've wait to start subscribing, I thought I would get the next month's. I do really like that you can customize most of the products, but the brands this time were just not for me mostly.  The Clinique lippie is gorgeous and the Clarins mask is wildly overpriced, so I am glad I got it in a box. I think I can sell or swap the Tarte and TF fairly easily, so that's okay. The Milani palette is meh, I wish I had gotten the colorrful one. Covergirl was a freebie.

Glossybox — 3 Stars 

20200819_103015~2.jpg

Spoiler
Like it is all just fine? I would've been excited about the TangleTeezer if I hadn't just gotten one last month in the GB Limited Edition. I guess I have a backup or travel one. I do like how everything is pink. And I will end up using most of it, but like, wouldn't have bought any of it. Why are they making their own skincare line? 

Ipsy GlamBag — 4.5 Stars

20200901_153833~2.jpg

Spoiler
Honestly, it pains me how good this is. Ipsy has been the worst the past few months in terms of add-ons (most of the reason I still have a subscription) and in terms of listening to the surveys. But this is a great bag for me. The brush is so soft, the highlighter is pretty and the skincare is *chef's kiss*. I think though, for $20 Canadian, this just barely meets muster, and since I am hardly ever getting the add-ons I pay for or access to buy the ones I want, after this next month I am done unless the picks for October are good and I can use the rest of my points. I will likely wait until GBP is available in Canada. I would've cancelled for September, but I used points to get a palette so am waiting for that.

Look Fantastic Beauty Box — 3.5 Stars

20200901_154022~2.jpg

Spoiler
This gets slightly better than just okay because of the Caudalie and Ahava products; and how good the Mio product smells. I wish the full sized weren't the mascara and the blush (which is a fine standard deeper mauvey tone; but holy am I never going to get through a blush) and one of the skincare or haircare was full sized instead. It is all just kinda meh, but I love the Caudalie product (even though I have so many DS of it anyway, lol).

Trendmood (Black Owned Beauty) — 5 Stars

20200819_104332~2.jpg

Spoiler
I've been wanting to try so many of these brands for so long and since shipping to Canada is a pain, it was nice to get them all in a box. (Although the trendmood shipping to Canada is very expensive, blah). But yeah, all amazing, gorgeous, just stunning! The one thing I am passing on (highlighter) is just because I will never go through that much loose highlighting powder ever, but it is so pretty. This was a great box. I don't pick up the Trendmood every month, but am so jazzed I was able to get this one.

Tribe Beauty Box — 4.5 Stars

20200819_103716~2.jpg

Spoiler
This was a great box. Only half a star off because of the body oil (which smells amazing, I just haven't worked body oils into my routine). But the palette!! The brushes!! The patches I really like!! and the balm!! Definitely a winning box, although barely meets the $ if I took out the body oil.

Rating Scale: 

5 stars = Love everything (or almost everything) 

4 stars = Wanted a main ($) item in the box and at least half the box 

3 stars = It is okay, interested in something that covered the cost of the box (in CAD), but wouldn't have bought outright on its own 

2 stars = It is okay, interested in something that doesn't cover the cost of the box

1 star = Definitely not worth it

Of all your subscriptions @haleyvvvv honestly which one is the best 

Ooooh, I have been considering this, @lmaster. I will give a few answers, with some qualifications.

A couple of the Trendmood boxes have been miles above everything else, but that's not consistent.

I actually think the best box is the Box by Fashionista for (5 items for $25), but it is like prohibitively expensive for Canada ($60 USD). Especially because there is not often prestige or luxury brands, like there is sometimes in boxycharm.

Overall, I think the *best* box generally, is Boxycharm Premium for (6 items for $35). BUT, there are often dud months, or months with mostly skincare. So it would depend on what was wanted. I think the months where it is good, it is the best. But 1 month out of 3 is usually a miss for me.

I also, think, for me, the best all around is Tribe Beauty Box (5 items for $35+shipping), because there is always a palette, make up item, tool/body item. It is smaller brands, but I like getting introduced to some more indie things. And, bonus, it is run by all WOC and the box tries to source from female-owned brands. So for me, that's a win. It is also bimonthly, so not as often, which is nice.

Ipsy GBP (5 items for $25), FFF (7-8 items for $49.99) and Chic beauty box (5 items for $35; bimonthly) are all super customizable, but you have to like the variety of items. I can't get GBP in Canada, but the choice items haven't always been for me. FFF tends to have too many home items for me. Chic beauty box is all makeup and 5 choices, but some drug store in addition to mid tier brands.

I am glad Topbox (5 deluxe size items for $15 CDN) is in Canada, cause I switched Ipsy (5 deluxe size items for $12) for it; and it is a great lower cost option. It lets you switch out your DS items for a full-size items occasionally (I got a full sized It Cosmetics CC cream this time, for example). Birchbox, if I was in the US would be the lower priced one I would pick, even though it has gone a little downhill in the past few years. I have also really been liking my Look Fantastic boxes, which were the same price as my Ipsy bags.

I've never tried the trendmood @haleyvvvv can you see what's in the box before ordering?

@lmaster You can! She posts all the spoilers on her trendmoodbox instagram before it goes live!

@Kim888 oh thank you!! Is it monthly? Would you know when the next box will be released?? 😆

@lmaster it's not an actual subscription, just individual boxes you can buy kind of like the new sephora favorites. If you go to the insta (trendmood.box) you can sign up to be notified when one releases. I generally just check the instragram every so often because that's where she puts out spoilers. It's looking to be about once a month. 

Thank you sweets! @Kim888 

July Boxes 

Oops, I was waiting for my BC premium to arrive before posting it just got here last week. Seems like my base box for August will also not arrive until September, so pretty on par. Gotta love how long it takes to get to Canada.

Boxycharm Base Box 

20200727_231747~2.jpg

Spoiler
Honestly, pretty happy with this. 4🌠 
The Pur palette is pretty, mine came unbroken unlike every YouTuber's. It did have a weird scent, but it disappeared with some airing out. 
I like the Grace and Stella brand, so am excited to try these eye masks, although I don't know when I'll use them because I usually use them when traveling. 
I'm not sure what blue light does to the skin, but the 111 skin brand is always nice, and hopefully this will serve as like a stand in for like a niacinamide or hydrating serum. 
The setting spray has a fair amount of scent which isn't my fave. I haven't been wearing a full face recently, and have a spray open, so haven't fully tested. 
The color switch is okay. I like these products but I already had one for my suitcase and I typically use a cloth to do this when at home, so meh. But I'll use it. Just wish I had something else.

Boxycharm Premium 

20200810_224628.jpg

Spoiler
Just meh. I am not excited about any of these products. 2🌠 
I am intrigued by the Byro essence, people seem to like it but I dunno, I wasn't hyped about it. 
The Kenia Ontiveros palette is super pretty but I am not one to reach for face palettes, but I might travel with it, if traveling is ever a thing again.  
The Folly Fire lippies are pretty. This set of reds isn't too unique, I kinda wish we'd gotten one of their more interesting trios, but nice to try their formula.  
The palette is meh, I dunno. I don't like morphe. I don't like the highlighters in there. I think I'm passing this along. 
The dual headed liner is a lot. I'm sure its fine, I am just not a liner gal. I like the gold color but I just would never use. 
This bag. This BAG. I think I wouldn't be so upset about it if it wasn't for the pom-poms. Just terrible. 

Glossybox 

20200719_114324.jpg

Spoiler
Pretty happy with this Glossybox. 3.5-4🌠 
I'm excited to try the Polar moisturizer, who can't use some more lip balm and deep conditioning masks, and the oil is intriguing (but might be a bit too scented for me). I'm cautious about the mask, but it was a freebie. I don't love these scrubber type things as they're too disposable. Overall a good box, nothing I'm over the moon about but some nice staples and some new brands to try. 

Glossybox Special Summer Edition 

20200727_231226.jpg

Spoiler
3.5🌠 but I got it at a steep discount which makes me happy. 
I love the Tange Teezer, the Pinrose perfume, the Oribe spray. I'm intrigued by the eye patches and eye cream. 
The sun glasses are cute, but I wear prescription ones, so I'll be passing that and the Becca gloss along. 
I do hate when these boxes include things like teeth whitening products. 

Ipsy Glam Bag + Add-Ons 

20200727_230611.jpg

20200727_230439.jpg

Spoiler
I am just so disappointed in Ipsy this past month. They left out my Luna oil add on, and I lost money because instead of just giving me a replacement or credit like I asked, they refunded me and the exchange rate was different. Then it was available as add-on again for August (so why couldn't I just get a replacement(!)) but the system was broken. It is very clear Ipsy only cared about GBP for August and in the ramp up to these changes have let the other tiers drop to the wayside. 
Product wise, I haven't tried the add-ons but I'm excited for these milk masks. For my glam bag though, I'm only keeping two things. The hair scrub and the highlighter (which I'm using as a blush). The pore mask is alright, but not for me. The eye shadow is nice quality but just not colors for me. Omg, I feel like I can't go a month without getting a KVD product and I'm just so tired of it. Blah. 

LookFantastic Box 

20200719_113352.jpg

Spoiler
This was a really good box. 4🌠 
I really like the brush (so soft!), the body lotion is nice (and not overly scented) and am jazzed about the Madara cream and lippie. The sleep aids I don't like in these boxes and I hate the this works brand (everything is scented). Overall a pretty good value, especially as it is charged in CAD.

@haleyvvvv  You have some really good stuff along with some not as exciting ones. I fell like lately a lot of subscription boxes are like this. But then again it is a subscription and there will be some items we aren't too jazzed about. I gave away half of my July Boxy products. I've been contemplating if I need all 3 tiers of Boxycharm but then I know I'll have fomo if I cancel any lol. I've been really liking the Allure boxes lately but I am "suppose" to be on a low buy year and don't want to get another subscription because that can open the door to getting Ipsy which I've been wanting to try as well. So I guess I'll just stick to Boxy.

Thank you, @NinaNee!! I usually justify it as, if there was at a least single item I'm excited about that covers the cost of the box, then it's worth it, especially as I usually can sell or gift the other items. I just feel like for BC Premium and Ipsy for July, there wasn't that. But then both of my choices for the August box/bag were exciting, so it definitely balances, but there are just months where its so blah.

I keep thinking I want to cancel Boxycharm regular but keep premium. I wish there was a way to do luxe with premium (just have it be a separate quarterly sub!!). I dunno, Boxy goes through periods where the base box is killing it, and the premium box is meh; but then it switches, so you can't ever be sure. What's making me more comfortable with the FOMO is that I belong to a Facebook BC sale/swap group, so I know I could get the items I wanted for a reasonable price.

I am definitely thinking about pausing Ipsy though. Its coming to like $20 a month in CAD; and I mostly only had it for add-ons. But since they can't seem to ship the ones I pay for or let me buy add-ons and their customer service is frustrating plus they don't seem care about regular glam bag subscribers anymore.

I'd say, you can always rejoin Boxy base, so if Allure has your eye you could swap for a few months. You could use a trade group to trade for or buy items you wanted from the BC.

It what might be the first time in history....i got my ipsy glam bag plus today. It usually comes like the 3rd week of the month..so imagine my surprise. 1. I hate the color change (mailer),still do. I think its hideous. And now we have it even bigger. Its bigger than a 3 ring binder. So now, I really don't know what to do with it. (Other than throw it away. I have organized Christmas ornaments with them before🤔) I redeemed points for the generation clay so no matter what I had to get the bags & I was curious about the new pick 3. I didn't like my choices at all. But I went with something I *might* like due to the brand. What they picked. -murad, eye Stix, middle 3 is what i picked. I already got the ciate mascara before & I really like it so will be gifting this 2nd. & add-ons & points. I do like the actual bag of the smaller glam bag but redeemed more points for the pink g clay mask for August anyways.🤔so we shall see. August is corduroy bags.  I thought the drawstring would be bigger. But its pretty small...

0808201724.jpg

0808201724a.jpg

0808201725.jpg

   

testing