Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Haul Stars
|

Sephora Savings Event 2023 What Didn't You Get?

The last day to shop the Sephora Savings Event is today.  I want to know what you you didn't end up getting during the sale and why? Or what you had your eyes on but ended up passing?

I had these on my loves list but ended up passing on them:

Sol de Janeiro Bum Bum Firmeza Firming & Debloating Body Oil 4 oz / 100 mL I already have 2 other body oils I use that are not scented so I want to use those up first.  Also, I want to try a sample before I commit to the full size.

KAYALI YUM PISTACHIO GELATO | 33 INTENSE Eau de Parfum Travel Spray 0.33 oz / 10 mL eau de parfum sp... I haven't gone to my local store to smell it and I have read mixed reviews.  You either love or hate the scent.

GUERLAIN Terracotta Luminizer Highlighter Powder 00 IVORY After looking at the swatches it looked to glittery for me.

Sephora Favorites Summer Must- Haves I passed because I have tried most of the products and would probably use only half of what is in the bag which would have been a waste of money.

#Yves Saint Laurent NU HALO TINT Highlighter with Vitamin E NU Rosy Quartz By the time I decided I wanted it, it went out of stock and hasn't come back in stock yet.

Kate McLeod The Dry Brush I thought I would like it but I read reviews and decided to pass on it.  Plus I already have a dry brush that I like.

Sol de Janeiro Biggie Biggie Beija Flor™ Elasti-Cream 16.9 oz / 500 mL I love the scent but it's a lot of product and I can never commit to one scent.  I have bought the original biggie biggie bum bum cream when it came out years ago and I couldn't finish it before it went bad.

Re: Sephora Savings Event 2023 What Didn't You Get?

@Buootiful's post reminded me of a couple other things I passed up during the sale: 

PAT McGRATH LABS Skin Fetish: Divine Powder Bronzer - swatched all the Sephora-carried shades in store while picking up an order. I usually expect bronzers to be warm toned but good grief, these did not seem like they'd work for me, not even if applied to the hyperpigmented perimeter of my face (the only place I use bronzer). And I mean, do I need another bronzer anyway? Not really. 

Natasha Denona Pastel Eyeshadow Palette - haunts me no more! 😂 Before the sale, I bought the Natasha Denona Mini Pastel Eyeshadow Palette at Ulta to talk myself out of getting the bigger midi palette. That worked: playing with the mini has convinced me the shades in the midi will not play nice with my skin tone(s), regardless of which primer shade I use. They're just too pale for me. I'm pretty sure I can dupe Pastel using my Shu Uemura single pastel shadows + Viseart Coy palette, all of which show up on my skin with little effort. 

@WinglessOne  I wonder if there is a base that can change eyeshadows with a white undertone? Maybe some kind of smoky eye that goes well with the pastels.  Like some products can do for lipstick, iykwim. 🤔

@Buootiful  I've tried that with too-pale pastel eyeshadows before. The only thing that really works (for me, anyway) is mixing another shadow into the too-pale shadow to cancel out some of the white. If this Pastel palette was full of truly unique shades I don't have in my collection, then it might be worth that trouble. But I'm pretty sure I can dupe that palette with shades I know will work better for me. Heck, if I just take Circo Loco and mix a white shadow into any of that palette's shades, I'll create pastels—and I can customize how light the pastel is. 😉 

Yeah @WinglessOne ,the PMG bronzers are 👍🏼👍🏼 formula, but 🤷🏽‍♀️ on the bronzing.  I think I waffled on them for a week, then tried them and was pleased.  They are lighter than they look, and very peach/orange as opposed to bronze/reddish.  They give me a natural looking sunburn, but the shade range is surprising for Pat.

@danielledanielle  I wish PMG sold all 8 shades through Sephora so I could swatch Desert Glow, just to see how shimmery or pearlescent it is. Of the shades I did swatch, Bronze Divinity seemed closest to maybe working atop my hyperpigmentation (I swatched my hand, not my face). Theoretically, an orange toned bronzer could provide some color correction for that deeper skin. But I dunno, these bronzers are just... so orangey warm. I'm glad you liked them, though! 

@WinglessOne , didn't think about color correction, so that's a plus.  But, that also makes sense on why I get that sunburn look.  Usually color correction for me is peach for scars or green for redness.

Here's a pic of dessert glow (on the left), if you're curious.  IMO,  it's not heavy on the pearl.  It's definitely orange/peach leaning.  Bronze Divinity is on the right, which I got instead of Nirvana which I think would have been too light.  Divinity is basically the color of my forehead, which is a slightly different color than the rest of my face.

Yeah, having all 8 would be nice, I'm curious on how Burnished Honey would look vs Fenty's Caramel Cutie (which is my summer bronzer for sure).

PXL_20230414_223027634.MP.jpg

@danielledanielle  I was so curious about Burnished Honey, I almost ordered it from PMG when these bronzers launched. 😄 That shade looks like it could even work as blush for me; it looks redder than the other shades, though more of a terracotta leaning red for sure. 

Thanks for the comparison photo and feedback on Desert Glow! That's very helpful. Something tells me I'll end up with one of Pat's bronzers this year after all. 

@WinglessOne Your post is now reminding me of the Natasha Denona Zendo Eyeshadow Palette Zendo Eyeshadow Palette 15 x 0.65 oz/ 19.25 g .  It was on half off in the sale section on the Canadian side, then the 20% off on top of that... I managed to not buy it.  I convinced myself that I would only wear a couple of those shades and that it would be a waste to have an entire palette for one or two shades.  Hearing that you figured out the one you were looking at wasn't going to work is confirmation that Zendo wasn't going to work for me either. 

@missjeanie  Yep, sometimes you just know a palette won't work out, even if you second guess your initial "nope, it won't work" gut feeling. Good job following your gut! 

I actually like Pastel's color story. Were the shadows tinted with a bit less white (getting slightly into color theory nerdiness here), they might've worked for me. That's the trouble I (and many other brown skinned folks, I'm sure) have with many pastel eyeshadows: they contain so much white, they end up too pale and chalky on my skin tone. I mentioned some Shu Uemura shadows; those contain just enough white to be pastel tints, but not so much that they become ashy white chalk on my lids. 

On a funny note, Zendo is my ideal neutral palette. 😂 I know some folks don't see it as neutral, but to me it is. It's become one of my "partners with any other palette or single shadow" palettes. But I understand not liking the overall color story, and definitely not wanting to buy it just for a couple shades. 

Cool topic @SportyGirly125 !

PAT McGRATH LABS Skin Fetish: Divine Powder Bronzer was OOS but PMG had an email showing it applied. I almost bought but resisted. Plus, I had just bought the Rare  Beauty effortless bronzer.

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Fenty Eau de Parfum Travel Spray 0.33 oz / 10 mL eau de parfum spray was OOS until After the sale, of course. Came back in stock after I placed an order to get the 3 for $35 gwp. But, I got some SPF-a reasonable order 🙂 . I won't know if I I'll have the willpower to resist this with another gwp 🙂

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Tinted Lip Oil Happy  Was OOS. Loved the shade Delight, but it's not exactly hydrating for my lips

The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydrating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL Was running out of it but I still have other HA serums to use and it's not discounted anyway.

Sourse Skin Glow Bites- Vegan Ceramide-Infused Chocolate Supplements 30 / bites but I can use it as a filler if I run out of something before another sale.

First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser I ran out but found what I thought was a trial size version but was the 5 oz and didn't need to buy it. Yay! I shopped my stash 🙂 

@Buootiful score for shopping your stash!

Thanks! @missjeanie 

@Buootiful  Hooray for successful stash shopping! 

I'm not sure I like the Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Tinted Lip Oil Joy I bought during the sale. Like you, I love the shade I bought but not the way this product feels on my lips. I need to test it again to be sure, using my normal amount of Aquaphor Ointment (my daily lip balm) first. During my initial quick test, I didn't have much Aquaphor left on my lips and forgot to reapply. 

I wanted to love this so bad. I'll keep the shade I have-I used it a good full week with different balms underneath. My lips always looked dry at the end of the day. I adored that it didn't settle into lip lines and made my lips look youthful for a few hours. Seriously, I was gonna buy the whole collection 🤣 @WinglessOne 

I actually managed to pass on a few things!

Ellis Brooklyn Mini CHAPTERS Perfume Coffret Set .  I just wanted vanilla milk, but could not find it in store to sample.  I had a sample of myth, wasn't in love, so blind buying three just seemed irresponsible.   I do have some self-restraint!!!

Fashion Fair Lip Teasers Lip Gloss Honey in Harlem , I always think, "this pale nude is going to work for me", but a shade like this usually gives me concealer lips, so I passed.

HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA Triclone Skin Tech Medium Coverage Foundation with Fermented Arnica .  Having some fomo, but all my foundations in my drawer were giving me heavy side eye, so I passed.  Also, I couldn't get a feel for the shade, and was debating it on the last day of the sale, so no swatching had occurred.

Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation , was going to restock, but see above.  Plus I think I have one I haven't opened yet 🤦🏽‍♀️

Melt Cosmetics Twenty-Seven Eyeshadow Palette 0.73 oz / 20.70 g .  You. Have. Enough. Warm. Palettes.

Kulfi Mehndi Moment Long-Lasting Radiant Cream Blush Garland Glow . You. Have. Enough. Blush.  For now.

SUNDAY II SUNDAY Minis, Post Gym Hair Kit for Travel and Workout Bags .  This was in and out of the cart.  I opted for pattern instead, maybe next time.

Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Foundation 50 Sunset .  Was happy to sample it.  The shade I would have purchased was off, but sunset worked.  But it was sooooooooo shiny on me.

SKYLAR Lime Sands Eau de Parfum Travel Spray 0.33 oz / 10 mL eau de parfum spray .  Really wish I could have sampled this.  I was definitely interested, but I went through reviews, someone commented on how it was similar to Atelier Cologne's Pacific Lime, which I love and already have the jumbo and travel spray.

Concealer lips, haha @danielledanielle . So good to know about Lime sands, I almost got that as well AND have the Atelier one. Mmmm, margarita on a Monday 😋

@danielledanielle That side eye you get from your foundations.... I get that every time I open my cabinet... that dang foundation shelf side eye is strrrrrong! lol

@danielledanielle Aww sorry to read about the Tower 28 foundation not working for you.

Also, Melt direct has 30-50% off sales on their site so you can always find a better deal there.  I really love the 27 eye palette from them.

@SportyGirly125 , yeah the mineral sunscreen tint search continues 🤷🏽‍♀️

Oh, that's probably why it is was on sale here. It was already 30% off, so I got it for about 44% off 😎💸🛍

I had been wanting to get the Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter Wattabrat but swatched it in store and it was too similar to the highlighter in the  ONE/SIZE by Patrick Starrr Cheek Clapper 3D Blush Trio Palette Attention Seeker so I decided to pass.

I couldn't decide on which Tom Ford Liquid Lip Luxe Matte color to get, so I got none 😅

The HUDA BEAUTY Liquid Matte Ultra-Comfort Transfer-proof Lipstick Baby Doll was OOS every time I looked, but I don't really NEED it. Maybe I'll pick it up during the next sale.

I was deciding between the MAKEUP BY MARIO SurrealSkin™ Liquid Foundation 11N and HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA Triclone Skin Tech Medium Coverage Foundation with Fermented Arnica 250 Light... and was able to get a sample of the latter in store and ended up loving it. Maybe next time on the MbM foundation.

And lastly, I was going to get the #KAYALI EDEN JUICY APPLE | 01 Travel Spray .34 oz / 10 mL if I couldn't find the Yum Pistachio Gelato in store, but luckily I was able to, so again, Juicy Apple is going to have to wait till next time. 

88 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos4
  • 78CDDBDF-4227-4152-9162-83318F01B487.jpeg
  • 7E6A31B4-C44D-4035-B01C-0474A8263210.jpeg
  • E8A0EFAA-F478-4AE1-95F9-EC763C7CB27B.jpeg
  • PXL_20230414_223027634.MP.jpg
testing