Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Haul Stars
|

I’m so gratisfied: THANK YOU Sephora, Clean, Glow Recipe, Marc Jacobs, Olaplex, Skinfix, and Velour!

First, lemme say: while I’m thrilled that @TeamBIC , @CleanFragrances ,  @GlowRecipe , @marcjacobs , @Olaplex , Skinfix, and @VelourLashes  chose to gift me so many goodies, I’m even happier to see other BIC members receive these and other gratis lately. I love that so many folks are getting the chance to test products and give the rest of us feedback. 

Now then, on to my gratis box of happiness! Here’s what I tested tonight: 

C2F00195-E998-4491-8463-2BFF77F88567.jpeg

SEPHORA COLLECTION Hot Line Brush Tip Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner 01 BlackI have a love-hate relationship with black liquid liners. They’re either too soft/floppy tipped, not dark enough, or determined to bleed/feather a lot. Not this liner! It has the perfect-for-me brush tip, precise enough that I can draw a VERY fine line, or lay down a crisp wing outline and then fill it in. It’s definitely dark enough on my skin tone: it actually looks black, not brown or graphite gray. It passed my “will a swatch feather on my hand” test. And it’s very easy for me to control. 

Here are photos taken with my phone’s higher resolution rear-facing camera. I drew 2 baby wings on one lid: one from the bottom and one from the top. I went very lighthanded with the bottom wing. Then I set the liner with a tiny bit of my favorite undereye setting powder (By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder). 

In front of beauty mirror; higher res camera.In front of beauty mirror; higher res camera.In front of beauty mirror; higher res camera.In front of beauty mirror; higher res camera.
Then I decided to add some color—so why not throw on my Pat McGrath Eyedols? I also tightlined the bottom with a black MUFE Artist Color Pencil. I’ll give this liner an all-day test soon, and see if it’s really waterproof (even when applied over sunscreen). 

60CBF365-FA43-458A-BB5F-5FEB1FF4FB78.jpeg9FB9ACFF-4834-4A1A-A72B-388D8B61FC45.jpeg

Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Ultra-Fine Mist 2.53 oz/ 75 mL: I sprayed this on the eyeliner side of my face. It didn’t disrupt my cream blush, brow pencil, or Hot Tip liner. I didn’t use an eyeshadow primer, so I’m not surprised some of that blue transferred below my eye post-mist. Everyone who says this mist smells like a watermelon Jolly Rancher is correct, and that’s not a bad thing at all. It did make my skin a bit dewy (can’t really tell in my photos above), but nowhere near as glowy as a face oil. Still, I kinda like it! 

CLEAN RESERVE Reserve - Solar Bloom 3.4oz/100mL: I spritzed this in the crook of one arm. It starts off very tangy citrusy, almost like an underripe orange would taste. Then a floral scent creeps in... smells like freesia to me, with some jasmine. But Solar Bloom never becomes a full-on floral; it’s always blended with warm citrus, vetiver, and something sweetly mineral-earthy. Since I know this fragrance includes coconut water and charcoal, the more I sniff for those, the more I realize they’re the “sweetly mineral-earthy” scent. The longer this fragrance sits on my skin, the warmer it gets, and the more that mineral scent comes through on me—but not enough to overpower other scents. They all work in an interesting balance. I’ll wear Solar Bloom again this weekend for a longer test. 

Skinfix Eczema+ Hand Repair Cream 3 oz/ 89 mL: rubbed this on both hands and it instantly softened my skin. I love the finish of this stuff. It’s not greasy or oily at all, but it leaves my hands—especially my fingers—feeling very moisturized and velvety soft. I will absolutely buy a tube when this one’s empty. Heck, I might buy one this weekend to keep on my nightstand. 

I haven’t tried my other 3 gifts yet: 

4404D83A-881D-49C5-81AD-681897517018.jpeg

Marc Jacobs Fragrances Daisy Love Eau So Sweet 1.6 oz/ 50 mL: I spritzed this on a tissue but not my skin. It’s very sweet smelling. Possibly too sweet for me. I’ll have to try it on my wrist to be sure. 

OLAPLEX - No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Creme: I’ve never used any Olaplex products or had a salon treatment. I’ll use this after my next wash. I’m interested to see if it plays nice with my 4a/3c/“whatever dude, I’m just kinky-coiling up a storm over here” hair. 

Velour Lashes Effortless - No Trim - Natural Lash Collection Mini Me: I never wear falsies, so I have no lash glue. Once I get some, I’ll give these lashes a go! EDIT: These lashes are the style No Drama. 

Re: I’m so gratisfied: THANK YOU Sephora, Clean, Glow Recipe, Marc Jacobs, Olaplex, Skinfix, and Velour!

Update on the Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother: I remembered to try it last week. I used it after my usual conditioner and a new-to-me shampoo. Normally I use a leave-in conditioner but I skipped it this time, which I’m sure is partly why my hair felt kinda dry after I used No. 6. It didn’t defrizz all of my hair, but I suspect the shampoo made some of my hair frizzier than normal. (See, this is why you shouldn’t test 2 new-to-you products on the same body part at once. 😂) I need to try No. 6 again with a better shampoo. 

No. 6 did restore the curl pattern of certain patches of my hair. I have some small patches of larger coils (3c, for folks into hair typing; the rest of my hair is closest to 4a) that have acted like they’re fighting heat damage since I transitioned from relaxed to natural 15 years ago. I don’t use a blow dryer or straighten my hair, and 15 years of growth and trims have obviously removed all relaxed ends. That 3c stuff just doesn’t know how to act right—unless I apply No. 6 to it, which helps it coil from root to tip and resist the urge to frizz. Impressive! I wish I’d taken before and after photos, because the difference really shocked me. 

I washed my hair this morning and forgot to try No. 6 again. But I noticed my hair feels stronger overall, especially while wetting it down pre-shampoo. I was able to do some very gentle finger detangling without a lot of breakage. Individual strands felt sturdier than usual, but still elastic enough to not snap into pieces. And this was a week after using No. 6. This makes me want to try other Olaplex products, especially a few days after I’ve used some shampoo/conditioner that stretched out all my coils. 

Olaplex No. 6 gets a thumbs up and major gratitude from my coils. 

Re: I’m so gratisfied: THANK YOU Sephora, Clean, Glow Recipe, Marc Jacobs, Olaplex, Skinfix, and Velour!

@WinglessOne  congrats on Gratis!! Awesome goodies. Did you use Olaplex more times? I got a sample of it y’day hopefully that will be enough for 1 use. I was planning to buy it but then saw dimethicone as. One of the top ingredients so bought a Briogeo leave in mask instead. @tastelikewater 

I am worried about build-up and then harsh cleanse cycle.

Thanks @naturalooks15 ! I’ve only used Olaplex No. 6 that one time but will use it again next time I wash my hair, either today or tomorrow. (I use shampoo only once a week.) I didn’t notice any major buildup from No. 6 when I shampooed a week after using it. 

@WinglessOne ,

I love the double-winged eyeliner! Thanks so much for sharing. 🙂

Thanks @LaurieBT ! 

So glad you received this gratis!!! 🙂 Congrats!

Thanks @pocketvenus !

Congrats!  How lovely for you 🙂

Thanks @l8totheparty !

I’m so gratisfied: THANK YOU Sephora, Clean, Glow Recipe, Marc Jacobs, Olaplex, Skinfix, and Velour!

This is fantastic! You deserve it, @WinglessOne!

Thanks @curlychiquita ! 🙂

Quick update: I wanted to wear the Sephora Hot Liner today but my eyes are being itchy watery jerks. So instead, here’s a demo of how precise the liner brush is. I applied the Skinfix cream to my hands (that stuff’s a rockstar!), then drew a dragon. 

Quick and dirty drawing with Sephora Hot Liner.Quick and dirty drawing with Sephora Hot Liner.

Then I tried to wipe it off with one dry finger. Gentle to moderate pressure didn’t visually disrupt the dragon, but I did get a very faint gray smudge on my finger. Running water over the dragon didn’t disrupt it. Patting it dry (not rubbing at all) with a paper towel also had no effect. But rubbing it with one finger after the towel patdown did some damage.

Water + finger rubbing = eyeliner removalWater + finger rubbing = eyeliner removal

When I wing my lids, I often wing from the bottom because of my hooded eyes (and because I like that look better on me). But my eyes also water a lot, so... hopefully they’ll feel better tomorrow so I can test this liner as a bottom wing, for an all day wear test. 

Also, DE Pekee Bar and water easily removed this liner from my hand. When I first tested it on my eyes, I used Lancôme Bi-Facil to remove it along with eyeshadows and had no problem—but honestly, I haven’t found much makeup that Bi-Facil struggles to remove. 😄 It’s good to know I can just use the Pekee Bar for this instead. 

@WinglessOne Based on the stunning looks you create, I should have known you're an artist. Wowie!

Wow you are talented!

@WinglessOneJust came here to say: "whaaaaat?!  you drew that?!!!  Ahhhhmazing!"

Thanks @itscarin ! 🙂

Wow amazing eyeliner AND dragon!

Thanks @sandalwood13 ! 

you drew that?? @WinglessOne I swear that's amazing talent

you drew that?? @WinglessOne I swear that's amazing talent
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos9
  • C2F00195-E998-4491-8463-2BFF77F88567.jpeg
  • In front of beauty mirror; higher res camera.
  • In front of beauty mirror; higher res camera.
  • 60CBF365-FA43-458A-BB5F-5FEB1FF4FB78.jpeg
  • 9FB9ACFF-4834-4A1A-A72B-388D8B61FC45.jpeg
  • 4404D83A-881D-49C5-81AD-681897517018.jpeg
  • Chopstick as a prop. :D Had to use earbuds to remotely control camera shutter.
  • Quick and dirty drawing with Sephora Hot Liner.
  • Water + finger rubbing = eyeliner removal
testing