Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever

Very Oily Frizzy Hair

I have had very frizzy hair all my life. I get out of the shower and blow dry it, and it looks huge and frizzy and wavy in the front and straight in the back. Since I don't want to leave the house like this, I straighten it and use hairspray when I'm done. But then I leave the house and it un-straightens and turns back into a frizzy mop. Not to mention by the next day it looks not only frizzy but very very oily. At the place I work they don't really like us having our hair up so that forces me to wash it frequently. I've tried washing it less to see if the oil will go down but nothing. Please help me!

Re: Very Oily Frizzy Hair

@Jksup Here's what works for me:

Spoiler
Shampoo: Use a moisturizing shampoo. Many BICers use sulfate-free. I haven't had success with those, so I use John Frieda Beyond Smooth with Pure Coconut Oil

Conditioner: I am in love with Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm. Other good ones are DevaCurl One Condition (popular with BICers), Phytojoba and Neutrogena Triple Moisture (the one in the tub - very affordable).

Serums: Silicone serums are very important in fighting frizz, in my opinion. My favorite is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. I also use it with Phytodefrisant to give my hair more slip when blow drying with a brush. I recently starting using It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product and have been impressed so far (spray it into your hands, then distribute).  It's important to just squeeze water out of your hair, then apply the serum - do not towel dry unless it is a microfiber towel.

If you flat iron, I really suggest a flat iron spray. It really helps keep away the frizz. I am currently obsessed with Paul Mitchell Hot Off the Press.

Hair oils: Hair oils can do a lot to make your hair more manageable, and less prone to frizz. My fave is Matrix Oil Wonders. Other good ones are Alterna Kendi Oil and Josie Maran Argan Oil. You can use them as a treatment, in with conditioner, as a styling aid, or on dry hair (I use it this way to help with frizz).

Anti-frizz spray: I recently discovered Living Proof Humidity Shield and it really helps! I use it every morning!

Hair masks: Also good for maintaining hair health - or at least the appearance of it! My favorites have been discontinued, so I don't have any recs for you.

Dry shampoo: I highly rec this, as it will allow you to wash/dry your hair less, which means less damage. I like Klorane and Alterna.

Best of luck!!!

RE: Very Oily Frizzy Hair

@Jksup - I am not sure what you have tried but I think a 4 prong change may help you! The first is kind of a habit change but how long are you waiting between blow drying your hair and flat ironing it?? My hair is way more likely to puff back up after flat ironing if I don’t wait like 15-30 minutes between blow drying and using the flat iron! For some reason my hair gets way frizzier when I flat iron my still hot hair - I find it easier to just shower at night and let my hair dry naturally and flat iron in the morning. The second is a frizz controlling shampoo and conditioner. I actually like really like the John Frieda shampoo and conditioner, I also have very frizzy hair and my hair was significantly less frizzy after using this. Third, a leave in conditioner like the Briogeo one helps give your hair enough moisture which leads to less frizz! And fourth once you hair is staying straighter you may want to invest in a good dry shampoo which will help go longer between washes and less damaged hair will be less frizzy!

Re: RE: Very Oily Frizzy Hair

@Kim888 , Thank you for your advice! I will wait longer before straightening after blow drying. For the leave in conditioner, you recommend the Briogeo Rosarco Milk Reparative Conditioning Spray? And do you have any recommendations for dry shampoo? I feel like none really work for me.

Re: RE: Very Oily Frizzy Hair

🙂 yes that’s the Briogeo item I was referring to! For dry shampoo I always use bastiste which you can just get at the drug store or in Amazon - it works for me because it comes in different tints and I have dark hair so no white powder! I got the living proof one in a play box and I thought that one did a nice job as well and it sprayed out mostly clear but the smell was a bit overpowering 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing