Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever

Frizzy Hair On The Older Woman

Hi. I’m 51 years old and I have the worst frizzy hair. This has been going on since the birth of my older son and he’s 28. I have tried everything under son ever since and nothing has worked. I have even tried professional Keratin treatments from beauty salons. By the way: I am Puerto Rican and I used to have beautiful hair once. My hair is frizz free in the winter, but if I begin to sweat or put in a hot room, or during the summer time, there comes the frizzies. My hair is also medium length and it hasn’t grown past that for years. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

There's a ton of contradictory information in this thread...

There's a ton of contradictory information in this thread. I can see people just wanting to get their post count up and tossing out answers. As you are aware, your hair can change during pregnancy and after childbirth. Our hair goes through many different cycles in our lives. Without seeing a visual reference of your hair I'm going to assume your hair is on the course side. When there is humidity (moisture) in the air and it comes into contact with your hair, tiny molecules sneak into the cortex of your hair and break down hydrogen bonds. So no, throwing a serum on your hair will not help. You need to use an anti humectant and mousturizing treatment to prevent the above process from occuring. Ouidad makes a good anti humectant Shampoo that I would follow with Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask.

RE: Frizzy Hair On The Older Woman

The DryBar Velvet Hammer is an outstanding product for stamping frizzy hair.

Re: Frizzy Hair On The Older Woman

@LPKingsDaughter Have you tried Japanese straightening/thermal reconditioning?  I haven't, but it's a thought if you haven't had success with keratin treatments.  Here's what works for me:

Spoiler
Shampoo: Use a moisturizing shampoo. Many BICers use sulfate-free. I haven't had success with those, so I use John Frieda Beyond Smooth with Pure Coconut Oil

Conditioner: I am in love with Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm. Other good ones are DevaCurl One Condition (popular with BICers), Phytojoba and Neutrogena Triple Moisture (the one in the tub - very affordable).

Serums: Silicone serums are very important in fighting frizz, in my opinion. My favorite is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. I also use it with Phytodefrisant to give my hair more slip when blow drying with a brush. I recently starting using It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product and have been impressed so far.  It's important to just squeeze water out of your hair, then apply the serum - do not towel dry unless it is a microfiber towel.

If you flat iron, I really suggest a flat iron spray. It really helps keep away the frizz. I am currently obsessed with Paul Mitchell Hot Off the Press.

Hair oils: Hair oils can do a lot to make your hair more manageable, and less prone to frizz. My fave is Matrix Oil Wonders. Other good ones are Alterna Kendi Oil and Josie Maran Argan Oil. You can use them as a treatment, in with conditioner, as a styling aid, or on dry hair (I use it this way to help with frizz).

Anti-frizz spray: I recently discovered Living Proof Humidity Shield and it really helps! I use it every morning!

Hair masks: Also good for maintaining hair health - or at least the appearance of it! My favorites have been discontinued, so I don't have any recs for you.

Dry shampoo: I highly rec this, as it will allow you to wash/dry your hair less, which means less damage. I like Klorane and Alterna.

Best of luck!!!

RE: Re: Frizzy Hair On The Older Woman

Hi. Thanks. Yes. I’ve tried the Japanese straightener and the Keratin straightener as well. Spent a lot of money weekly at the salon and I saw no difference. I’m bummed because I just don’t know what else to try.

Have you tried eating biotin? It’s a vitamin for hair and nails. 🙂

Hi. Thanks to your reply. I am doing the biotin supplements now. I am taking the 10,000 mg capsules. I’m on month number three now and so far I have seen no difference and growth in my hair, I have seen no difference on my nails, they’re still weak and brittle, and no difference on my skin either, I have rosacea on my face.
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing